Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ToltecasChavez
    • Apr 2011

GM SPS How it Works

Hey, in case anyone is interested, I spoke to a GM representative and they explained their new way of programming. AKA "SCAM". Because that what that is to me. Thanks to all those morons using RAP type programming that we all have to pay.

So lets say you have a 1997 Chevrolet Truck. Model is not important. You purchased the SPS program to program the PCM. I did a truck like this once and the only option available to flash was the PCM. Car would crank but no start. According to their website, you have 24 months to access this car if you buy the $40 subscription. True and a BIG BUT follows. So you get the PCM ur gonna replace and now you want to flash it so the car starts and VIN is programmed. You buy the subscription and the only options that pops up is PCM programming. Only 1 option. You finish flashing the PCM, car starts and ur done, that's it. SPS is done and if you ever want to flash another PCM to this car, you will have to plunk down another $40. Why? Because this car has only 1 module that you can flash, so you only get 1 try. LOL.

So if you have a 2010 Chevrolet Equinox, if the car has 10 modules, you get 10 tries. For 24 months you can access SPS, but once you flash a module, any of them, 10 times....TIME'S UP!!! Now you're gonna have to plunk down another $40 to flash. I asked if anti-theft is considered a module, they said yes. LOL. So yeah, that is some trash programming. So if you get an older car that has 3 modules, you better be sure that what ur programming solves the problem. xD You will only get 3 tries. So no more swapping PCM and body control modules, since antitheft is consider a module. So real nice BS. Thanks to all of those RAP type programmers who made all that money while it was good. Now everyone getting wallet raped.
  • jables2006
    • Dec 2015

Morons? Really? Some of us live in isolated communities. $800+ tow to any dealership here other than Ford or GM. Not enough population to draw from to bother subbing to everyone out there.

Comment

• Tech10
      • Mar 2008

So lets say the repair shop bought a new PCM for this car/truck and you flash it. You start it up and find out the PCM is faulty and it needs another PCM. The dealer warranties the PCM and gives you another one. You will need to pay for another subscription? Sounds nice

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

All the more reason trying a Ching Chong Chung Scanner set up with capability to write VINs to recycled used modules and do immobilizer keys whenever possible to avoid The highway robberies makes more sense to me as a Poor Smuck with Poor Smuck customers.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Tech10
          So lets say the repair shop bought a new PCM for this car/truck and you flash it. You start it up and find out the PCM is faulty and it needs another PCM. The dealer warranties the PCM and gives you another one. You will need to pay for another subscription? Sounds nice
          According to the Rep, special situations like the one ur describing is a case by case thing. So she said they can reset it and you won't use one of ur tries and will reinstate ur programming like as if it was never done.. That's what the rep said to me.
          But now imagine if you buy a used PCM??? Lol that's how they'll get you. It's a really time waster and if it's used, who knows if they'll reset it. That's why it sucks HARD

Comment

• BRIAN617
            • Dec 2016

Used PCM for a 97 chevy truck only requires passlock reset if you arent concerned about mismatched vins.

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

I think if you buy a new pricey blank ECM from the dealer it should come with the access code to program it to the vehicle and do the anti theft keys for free . If you buy a used salvage yard module you should be able to rewrite the VIN for free so to limit electronic waste and recycle whenever possible. If the hardware is correct, but the software calibration is incompatible for a different vehicle , it should advise you that it needs to be Virginizing it and reflashed to you vehicle , which will cost you a subscription fee , and after that you be able to write the correct VIN to it .

Comment

• bestdamgarage
                • Apr 2016

Originally posted by ToltecasChavez
                Hey, in case anyone is interested, I spoke to a GM representative and they explained their new way of programming. AKA "SCAM". Because that what that is to me. Thanks to all those morons using RAP type programming that we all have to pay.

So lets say you have a 1997 Chevrolet Truck. Model is not important. You purchased the SPS program to program the PCM. I did a truck like this once and the only option available to flash was the PCM. Car would crank but no start. According to their website, you have 24 months to access this car if you buy the $40 subscription. True and a BIG BUT follows. So you get the PCM ur gonna replace and now you want to flash it so the car starts and VIN is programmed. You buy the subscription and the only options that pops up is PCM programming. Only 1 option. You finish flashing the PCM, car starts and ur done, that's it. SPS is done and if you ever want to flash another PCM to this car, you will have to plunk down another $40. Why? Because this car has only 1 module that you can flash, so you only get 1 try. LOL.

So if you have a 2010 Chevrolet Equinox, if the car has 10 modules, you get 10 tries. For 24 months you can access SPS, but once you flash a module, any of them, 10 times....TIME'S UP!!! Now you're gonna have to plunk down another $40 to flash. I asked if anti-theft is considered a module, they said yes. LOL. So yeah, that is some trash programming. So if you get an older car that has 3 modules, you better be sure that what ur programming solves the problem. xD You will only get 3 tries. So no more swapping PCM and body control modules, since antitheft is consider a module. So real nice BS. Thanks to all of those RAP type programmers who made all that money while it was good. Now everyone getting wallet raped.
                its not only rap what about all the companys that sell preflased module.Which have the wrong software half the time anyway.Also the price went down for small guys doing alacart programing 40 vs 55. there is a big dicussuin on this in the IATN forums.

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

its not only rap what about all the companys that sell preflased module.Which have the wrong software half the time anyway.Also the price went down for small guys doing alacart programing 40 vs 55. there is a big dicussuin on this in the IATN forums.
                  The wife says I'm a small guy that has to compensate by carrying a big stick , but I need to watch you tube to learn how to use it. Don't look hard enough to me

Last edited by Witsend; 03-28-2018, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Working...