X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Snap On Counselor 2 on a 2001 Honda CRV

Under the Cylinder test menu I thought I could easily do the Cranking amps bar graph test on a 2001 Honda CRV with conventional ignition system , however keeping the accelerator pedal to the floor during cranking, the pcm does not disable the fuel injectors to prevent engine from starting. Disconnecting the fuse to the PGMFI relay will disable both the fuel pump and ignition system.The fuel pump connector access under seat requires removal of the rear seat frame assembly and accessing G309 (fuel pump ground supposively somewhere at the Left door sill , (the f@cking auto software doesn't provide an image of the location of G309.) I popped the LF kickpanel and see a ground with at least a half dozen wires, so I know it's not G309 that only has 2 circuits on it.
    I'm not going to pull any stuff apart looking for some hidden fuel pump ground to disconnect to perform some cranking bar graph test that I need the ignition system in working in order to have a trigger for #1 to be able to perform the test.
    I figure I would just have to Hump it using the ragged hump relative compression test off the battery using lab scope like Verus users do . I set the labscope setting to 1 volt scale , AC coupled , and longest time range on labscope offered is (200MS) Milliseconds . I don't know what the US time scale is , but thinking it's a shorter time period than MS time scale. I know I have been able to view fuel pump voltage patterns ( that occurs at a much higher frequency than the pistons reaching TDC on the compression stroke on cranking. I might be wrong, but I kind of think the 200MS max time period (1/5 th of a second is not long enough to view any useful relative compression voltage pattern and I just spent a lot of time on BS for nothing.
    If anybody uses the Counselor 2 to do quick relative cranking compression test viewing voltage humps without any specific trigger by auxiliary voltage test lead and compare voltage humps using the lab scope selection, please share how it's done.Thanks
    Last edited by Witsend; 05-10-2018, 05:21 AM.
  • diesel71
    • Feb 2008

why not just use a low amp clamp. leave the key off and jump the starter relay

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

why not just use a low amp clamp. leave the key off and jump the starter relay

My Counselor 2 does not have a selection to use a low amp probe, and though a 4 cylinder engine , the starter cranking amps still was 135 amps which calls for using the high amp probe.
      What is the proper time range and volt settings of the labscope that I can get a useful pattern on 4 cylinder cranking where the compression strokes occur at only half the crankshaft RPM ? Does it have to be set at a time range slower than 200MS to see anything useful?
      I lied and did pursue and find the location of the Honda CRV fuel pump ground and found it to located inboard of the LF door Sill just under the LF seat corner under the carpet just behind the Lf corner of seat track to floor mounting bolt. I disconnected the fuel pump ground and was able to run the relative cranking amps test without the fuel pump running and engine starting, so Mitchel and Alldata can update the G309 ground location and have a image for others to see other than just rehashing OE Bum steers in the service information which pisses me off

Attached Files

Comment

• jm43130
        • Apr 2008

There were a few option for Counselor 2 that works under cylinder test menu. There was a MT3000-420, power balance probe that has a wheel you ran on belts with engine running, that could be used as a relative running compression test. There was also a MT3000-400, vacuum probe used , and a MT3000-410, a cranking compression box adapter with a amp clamp on it that was used as a relative cranking compression test. I did look on Ebay, and there are a couple of these for sale, actually cheap. I have the manual with the procedures if you were to buy anything and needed the manual pages. I have all 3 adapters which I bought back in the day. There also sample patterns on manual pages.

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

There were a few option for Counselor 2 that works under cylinder test menu. There was a MT3000-420, power balance probe that has a wheel you ran on belts with engine running, that could be used as a relative running compression test. There was also a MT3000-400, vacuum probe used , and a MT3000-410, a cranking compression box adapter with a amp clamp on it that was used as a relative cranking compression test. I did look on Ebay, and there are a couple of these for sale, actually cheap. I have the manual with the procedures if you were to buy anything and needed the manual pages. I have all 3 adapters which I bought back in the day. There also sample patterns on manual pages.
          I have the Vacuum Probe and the the High and Low amp Probes, but like to get that MT3000-420 power balance probe and the cable boom eventually. Not sure I'll bother pursuing the exhaust analyzer. Still like this retro Counselor 2 despite some short comings and even spent a considerable time hand stitching the unraveling red seams on the dust cover back together with heavy needle and thread like some Ole Spinster with nothing better to do on a Saturday night.

Comment

Working...