X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Because
    • Jul 2010

Acura Communication With Modis?

Hi All:

I'm fairly new to Modis. I'm migrating from OTC Genisys and continue to use factory tools on GM & Chrysler. I have a new customer with a 2004 Acura TL 3.2. He complained to me about a hesitation that happened only once about a week ago. The problem sounded serious, so I figured I'd at least check for codes. I hooked up Modis and entered vehicle information in the scanner setup. No dice - no communication at all with the vehicle. Not knowing if I was doing something wrong, I pulled out Genisys. Same deal. I tried Global OBD II on the Genisys and I got information - no codes stored and a short list of PIDs. It didn't offer much, but no codes and no proveable symptom put the complaint to rest for a minute.

I'm wondering - is this all Modis would be capable of on this car is Global OBD II or maybe not even that? The 10.2 Software application guide lists engine and other systems as being supported but I took that to mean on a level higher than generic OBD II. Am I missing something or expecting too much?
  • Joe Rappa
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

Neither. I bet you have a broken car.
    If neither the Modis or OTC would communicate with the car, I have a pretty strong suspicion that the problem is with the vehicle. It's pretty unlikely that both scanners had a software or hardware problem on the exact same vehicle. You might want to diagnose the vehicle for no scanner communication, even though it communicates in Global.

Joe
    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
    Henry Ford

Comment

• 66superduty
      • Apr 2009

we have a customer with a 99 cl 2,3 my verus will only works on global with this car and our shop scanner ( otc ) is the same. read codes on global but not while useing the 24 key, even tried a differant key

Comment

• crackerclicker
        • May 2008

i'd listen to joe on this. the enhanced data may be on a different communication protocol than the global obd2. check your wire diagram or other source to be sure.

Comment

• Because
          • Jul 2010

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to see if I can gather some better technical info on this car and figure out what is wrong. I appreciate the help!

Comment

Working...