Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve6911
    • Feb 2007

Dodge SKIM Clear problem

The other day I got a 2003 Dodge Durango that another shop wanted me to program a USED PCM for the vehicle. They had puchased a Used unit from a local wrecking yard, installed it but the vehicle would start and stall, they could not keep the engine running. They figured it just needed programing. They hung the old unit in place and drove it to my shop. I hooked the used unit back up and my DRB showed me the used unit came from a vehicle with SKIM, this vehicle didn't have skim. Drew-tech's toolbox 2 has a "SKIM Clear" feature.

Screen01EC66BF.jpg

I followed all the instruction exactly. When I was done with the SKIM Clear it told me I was sucessful and to Reset the VIN.

Screen01ED133B.jpg

The VIN rewrite was also sucessful

Screen01F07F26.jpg

I then reset the SRI (sorry no screen shot) again sucessful.At this point I thought I was ready for the reflash. Made a quick check with the DRB and it still showed the PCM had SKIM. I made to more attempts at clearing the SKIM but it did not work. It was MANY more then 6 key cycles as the other shop had played with the PCM for about 1/2 day before sending it to me but the used PCM locked out.

Also in the instruction there is no warning about that if you plug a SKIM PCM into a non-SKIM vehicle you can make the BCM think that the vehicle has SKIM so now you will need a BCM also. I asked several other tech I know that do a lot more reflashing then I do and was told sometimes this feature works, other times it doesn't, it seems more times it doesn't. So at this point I would not count on this feature of the Tollbox.

Steve
    Last edited by Steve6911; 02-13-2011, 08:47 AM.
  • jkisor
    • Mar 2009

Skim Key feature

Steve, the clear Skim feture on the toolbox is not to remove it from a PCM that has it already on it. Any NGC controller (3 connectors) that Chrysler has produced is not able to be interchanged from vehicle to vehicle.

The clear Skim is used when you replace the PCM with a new PCM on a car that does have Skim (Grey Key) and you need to clear the Skim before disconnecting the old module that way the BCM and TCM, etc. are all clear and ready to see a new PCM introduced. When you plug in the new PCM it will spread its Skim message to all of the modules and everything will work properly. If you had not cleared the Skim before getting rid of the old one you would have a situation with the PCM's Skim code not matching up with the other modules.

Remember, these modules cannot be interchanged. The PCM is the holder of the SKIM Code and anytime you introduce a new code to controllers that have another code. They get confused and go into protect mode.

Hope this helps, Jake

Comment

• Steve6911
      • Feb 2007

Hi Jake

Thank you for responding to my post, however you are mistaken. Drew technologies developed the SKIM Clear feature so that you can put used PCMs in a PRE-CAN Chrysler vehicles. And reset them so that it doesn't matter if the donor vehicle had skim or not. Please refer to the first screen shot in my first post and look at the description right under SKIM Clear. Also below is a copy and paste from a developer at Drew Technologies that I had contacted and the beginning of November 2010. The first release of Toolbox2 did not have instructions or explanations as good as these. I had assumed that I could enter the SKIM code with my PTPII on a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee after PCM replacement, I could not. I still needed my DRBIII, here was his response....

Steve,
      Thanks for the contact. The SKIM reset we have is a new feature that we are testing out. It doesn’t allow you to enter PINs, but it does reset the state of a module to no-skim so you can put a used PCM that was setup for SKIM in a non-skim vehicle (or vice versa). In the instance where you have a SKIM enabled vehicle, you will most likely still need to have a DRB to program the SKIM PIN in. It works the same whether it’s a CarDAQ-Plus or PassThruPro2.

Just curious, how has your experience been with the rest of the J2534 toolbox and PassThruPro2?

Thanks,
      Brian

The reason post my post was to inform techs that this feature does not always work. Also if the vehicle had a true BCM instead of a Central Timer Module the shop that sent me the vehicle would be buying a BCM as well. If you put a SKIM enabled PCM in a non-SKIM vehicle and leave the BCM hooked up the BCM will think the vehicle now has SKIM as soon as you turn the key on,and except for BCM replacement there is no way at this time to undo that. So more work is needed on this feature and I would be very careful if you use it. Also I do not think it makes a difference in this case but it was a 4 connector NGC not a 3 connector unit.

Steve

Comment

• tech12
        • Oct 2010

Drew Technology's Toolbox

So can you use the Drew Technologies J2534 Toolbox with the PTP II? Drew Tech's toolbox looks way better and more comprehensive than PTP II. I was led to believe that you must use the toolbox supplied with PTPII software when using the PTP II.

Comment

• Steve6911
          • Feb 2007

Yes, you can. If you look in the upper right hand corner of the Tooxbox screen shots you will see it says PassThruPro as the tool being used.

Steve
          Last edited by Steve6911; 02-20-2011, 07:57 AM.

Comment

• diesel71
            • Feb 2008

Good information,thanks for sharing Steve.
            would you know if the skim clear/reset works the same way on can equipped Chrysler vehicles?

Comment

• Steve6911
              • Feb 2007

Hi Paul
              Yes it works the same---it doesn't work
              Just joking, no it doesn't, these features are for PRE-CAN only. Maybe Drew-Tech can working on being able to enter the SKIM PIN numbers once they get the SKIM Clear feature working, as you still need a DRB to enter them.

Steve
              Last edited by Steve6911; 02-22-2011, 03:58 PM.

Comment

• aautomaan
                • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Steve6911
                The other day I got a 2003 Dodge Durango that another shop wanted me to program a USED PCM for the vehicle. They had puchased a Used unit from a local wrecking yard, installed it but the vehicle would start and stall, they could not keep the engine running. They figured it just needed programing. They hung the old unit in place and drove it to my shop. I hooked the used unit back up and my DRB showed me the used unit came from a vehicle with SKIM, this vehicle didn't have skim. Drew-tech's toolbox 2 has a "SKIM Clear" feature.

[ATTACH]5550[/ATTACH]

I followed all the instruction exactly. When I was done with the SKIM Clear it told me I was sucessful and to Reset the VIN.

[ATTACH]5551[/ATTACH]

The VIN rewrite was also sucessful

[ATTACH]5552[/ATTACH]

I then reset the SRI (sorry no screen shot) again sucessful.At this point I thought I was ready for the reflash. Made a quick check with the DRB and it still showed the PCM had SKIM. I made to more attempts at clearing the SKIM but it did not work. It was MANY more then 6 key cycles as the other shop had played with the PCM for about 1/2 day before sending it to me but the used PCM locked out.

Also in the instruction there is no warning about that if you plug a SKIM PCM into a non-SKIM vehicle you can make the BCM think that the vehicle has SKIM so now you will need a BCM also. I asked several other tech I know that do a lot more reflashing then I do and was told sometimes this feature works, other times it doesn't, it seems more times it doesn't. So at this point I would not count on this feature of the Tollbox.

Steve
                I had the same problem, tried several times the same way. I think (and I am not sure its right) but the last time I did it and it worked I did it without turning the key off, just click the box when it says key off.

how about the end at the sri reset. did you get a mileage in or did it onlly allow you to enter service interval?
                the more i learn, the more i realize what i really don't know
                http://www.hightechautoandtruck.com/

Geoffrey Bell
                Master Technician
                Dale City, VA

Comment

• Steve6911
                  • Feb 2007

Geoffrey

The VIN rewrite and SRI worked without problem. I was just contacted by a Drew-Tech rep about this and replied to him earlier this morning. He is watching this thread so I am sure he will see you post also. I will repost when I get a response back.

Steve

Comment

• aautomaan
                    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Steve6911
                    Geoffrey

The VIN rewrite and SRI worked without problem. I was just contacted by a Drew-Tech rep about this and replied to him earlier this morning. He is watching this thread so I am sure he will see you post also. I will repost when I get a response back.

Steve
                    Thanks Steve

Can't wait to hear about it.
                    the more i learn, the more i realize what i really don't know
                    http://www.hightechautoandtruck.com/

Geoffrey Bell
                    Master Technician
                    Dale City, VA

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                      • Apr 2011

Thank you Steve6911!!! You've been a great help and my problem was solved thanks to you and everyone here at the forums. Regards, Chavez.

Comment

• jm43130
                        • Apr 2008

PCM

Isn't 4 Plug Ngc Controller For A 4.7 V-8 Which Is Early Can Communication? A 5.9 V-8 Is 3 Plug And Is Pre Can, And Clear Skim Should Work. I Don't Think Clear Skim Works On 4 Plug Controllers. Pretty Sure 03 Durango Is First Year For Can Communications. Just A Thought, I Know It Doesn't Work For 2005 Dakota Which Is 4 Plug Controller.

Comment

• elzarra
                          • Nov 2013

there is a company (auto computer exchange) that I often order chrysler/jeep/dodge PCM's for jeep grand cherokee with skim and oteher ones like RAM 2004 with skim also. I asked them to delete skim ant they send me a PCM with out skim, all I need to do is disconect the skim and leaved unpluged. car will star every time with skim disconected.

do you know how they do this?

thanks

Comment

• jm43130
                            • Apr 2008

The Problem Is If You Install A Used Skim Computer In A Non Skim Vehicle, It Won't Work. Every Chrysler Pcm Has Skim Built, But Only Turned On In Skim Vehicles. Skim Clear Works On Skim To Skim Vehicles, But If You Have A Non Skim Vehicle, You Have To Get A Non Skim Donor Ecm. Cause Once It Is Turned On Inside A Computer, It Can't Be Turned Off, It Will Be Reset , But It Still Will Look For Some Kind On Skim Communication. You Have To Get A Non Skim Vehicle Computer.

Comment

• elzarra
                              • Nov 2013

ok, today i tryed the "skim clear" function of the tool box 3 software from drew technologies, i got a good working 2000 grand cherokee with skim on it and disconect the the skim module on the ingnition switch so the car does not star because of security. then i follow the "skim clear" proces, 1.- reset/clear skim, 2nd, write VIN on ECU, 3rd. write ODO on ECU. everyting done ok.

didn't work, the engine just start and die. "skim clear" didn't work.

I plug back the skim and engine worked ok again.

Comment

Working...