Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trindaddy
    • Jan 2010

Dont charge me bro!

Does anyone have a safe alternative to the very enviable but expensive DTAC charger S.O. sells for maintaining voltage during flashing? I simply cant afford to buy this right now and want to get started. Will a quality charger on 12V/2a not do the job? What is the least expensive, safe way to get started here? Thank you

Neil
  • Earl Davis
    • Jan 2009

Hi Neil,

I recently purchased this reflash charger from Baum Tools. The voltage is programmable and that was and important factor in my decision because some of the Chrysler's give a voltage high error when using the midtronics reflash charger. I have attached a brochure of the charger to this post.

Earl
    Attached Files

Comment

• Steve6911
      • Feb 2007

Neil
      I use this Midtronics charger

Midtronics battery chargers and maintainers features patented advanced technology to provide safe and reliable solutions for all types of batteries.

I have not seen the errors Earl was talking about BUT... he is the man where Chrysler products are concerned so I will take his word for it!
      Believe it or not some tool manufacturers say its ok to use a jumper pack But I wouldn't.

Earl about how much is that unit?

Steve

Comment

• jrorl63
        Snap-on DSD
        • Aug 2007

Snap-on also sells the EEBC500, which has a "Flash" setting on it that is adjustable. http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....group_ID=23525

Comment

• Earl Davis
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by jrorl63
          Snap-on also sells the EEBC500, which has a "Flash" setting on it that is adjustable. http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....group_ID=23525
          That is a great unit, however, it is to big to lift in and out of the van doing mobile reflashing. I wish snap on offered that in a portable device.

The charger I posted about is in the same price range as the snap on charger.

Earl

Comment

• Trindaddy
            • Jan 2010

670.00 !!! Whoa thats some battery charger. Whats wrong with a 2a setting on a typical charger. Any less expensive alternatives out there?

Comment

• jd68
              • Oct 2009

I also use Midtronics PSC550. Works great. Is also a great maintainer.

Comment

• Steve6911
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Trindaddy
                670.00 !!! Whoa thats some battery charger. Whats wrong with a 2a setting on a typical charger. Any less expensive alternatives out there?

Neil

A battery charger on a 2 amp setting will not cut it. Think about the current draw with the key on. My PCS55 is a 55 amp charger. Some of the newer chagers even have programmable voltage, some of the high end vehicles need over 15 volts when flashing! The charger needs to be able to maintain a constant voltage, have enough amperage to maintain the charge through out the procedure and MUST be clean, NO AC voltage. Test your regular shop charger, I bet you will find AC voltage being outputted, this can kill a reflash. Before any reflash, ALWAYS do a Starting/charging system test, and make sure your battery connections are clean and tight NOTHING can be borderline.

Steve

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                  Snap-on DSD
                  • Aug 2007

There are a couple of potential problems with the 2A setting.

The draw on a lot of cars will be more than that with the key on. DRLs are usualy on and that alone will outrun the 2A setting.

Most battery chargers leak a lot of AC voltage when charging. While it doesn't murder a battery, the PCM may be intolerant of it, and it may goof up the reflash. This is one of the reasons that the newer chargers are more expensive. They leak way less AC.

Some manufacturers spec that the reflash be done at a particular voltage range. If the charger is controlling Amps instead of Volts, the battery voltage will change as the battery state of charge changes. If it moves outside the specified range it could spell trouble for the reflash. (I admit I've never heard of this happening, but I've seldom done it myself)

Joe
                  "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
                  Henry Ford

Comment

• greasybob
                    • May 2008

Comparing the EEBC500 to a regular snapon battery charger

I made a little video comparing the wave forms of my new EEBC500 battery to the old battery charger. I was kinda surprised that there wasn't that much difference in votage spikes, the bigger advantage would seem to be in maintaining the desired voltage. I think I had the scope set up right. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x5omPmgRhQ

Comment

• Earl Davis
                      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by greasybob
                      I made a little video comparing the wave forms of my new EEBC500 battery to the old battery charger. I was kinda surprised that there wasn't that much difference in votage spikes, the bigger advantage would seem to be in maintaining the desired voltage. I think I had the scope set up right. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x5omPmgRhQ
                      Hi Bob,

Are you using the Snap On charger with the updated circuit board? I know some of these chargers, early on , had some issues with A/C ripple and Snap On replaced the boards in them to repair this issue.

Earl

Comment

• greasybob
                        • May 2008

Originally posted by Earl Davis
                        Hi Bob,

Are you using the Snap On charger with the updated circuit board? I know some of these chargers, early on , had some issues with A/C ripple and Snap On replaced the boards in them to repair this issue.

Earl
                        The EEBC500 I just purchased a month ago, the old green snap on charger I've had for about 12 years and has never needed repair other than clamp replacement. Which chager has been updated ? I've seen the same type of voltage pattern with a D-tac and wouldn't consider it abnormal considering the way the amperage is controlled, I was just surprised to see the old charger perform so well.. The vehicle in the video has a new interstate battery with a good charge.

Comment

• Orevin
                          • Aug 2010

It would be interesting to see how good the battery works as a buffer. Did you ever check "AC ripple" and amps after the battery, let's say at a fuse box?

Nice video collection you have there on Youtube. Very well narrated and informative!
                          -Kai-
                          Chicago, IL

Comment

• Earl Davis
                            • Jan 2009

The EEBC500 I just purchased a month ago, the old green snap on charger I've had for about 12 years and has never needed repair other than clamp replacement. Which chager has been updated ? I've seen the same type of voltage pattern with a D-tac and wouldn't consider it abnormal considering the way the amperage is controlled, I was just surprised to see the old charger perform so well.. The vehicle in the video has a new interstate battery with a good charge.
                            The EEBC500 smart charger is the one that has been updated. If you bought it a month ago you probably have the newer circuit board in your charger.

Good job with the videos, thanks for sharing.

Earl

Comment

• Trindaddy
                              • Jan 2010

Sometimes you guys amaze me! Nice work Greasy. So much for the AC voltage theory. I would like to see another test of such equipment.
                              GMs info reads :Battery should be fully charged and between 12-14 volts. Also, that a battery charger should not be used.
                              Again, does anyone have any reasonable or inexpensive methods? What about a new, fully charged, large capacity, car battery "jumped" to the car's already charged battery? (NO AC volts!) If the lights are on, pull the fuse or put on the e-brake! I have a high speed DSL connection. Whats the longest flsh you've seen? Whats average? The Mazdas i used to do took only 10-20 minutes to re-flash the PCM.

Comment

Working...