Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • miller10
    • Aug 2012

Snap on PTP 2 vs Pegasys

question new to the forum and snap on diagnostics in general at the dealership we had WDS so no need for aftermarket scan or flash capable tool. I have recently opened my own shop and invested 12,000 in my verdict between the tool, euro coverage and software bundle 12.2 only to find out I have no re-flash capabilities for any of the anti-theft systems and I would now need to invest in the pass thru pro (not to mention a laptop) to have flash functions. while recently at a tool show the OTC Pegisus on display has built in re-flash capability plus all the scan capabilities of my verdict for a price of 4300 at the show has anyone used it and if so please tell me if the tool is as good as their salesmen hype it up and why i spent 12K for my verdict
    Last edited by miller10; 08-21-2012, 09:57 PM. Reason: extra information
  • Steve6911
    • Feb 2007

Josh
    Welcome to the forums! The questions that you asked are good ones and VERY difficult to answer, and I can only give you my opinions on it. First I am not a fan of reflashing with a scan tool. Where the WDS only did a few product lines the aftermarket scanners attempt to cover them all and sometimes one program doesn't play well with the other, who knows what can happen if something goes wrong during flashing. If you have seperate laptops for flashing you don't need to keep changing the settings for security and alike. As far as the differance between the Pegasys and the Verdict, depends on you. Back in 2004 I bought my Modis because the shop "upgraded" from the MT2500 the the OTC, I was VERY disapointed! Since then then shop has purchase several "new and upgraded" OTC units (due to the price)and recently the Autel. Other guys in the shop still come to me asking to borrow my S.O. scanners. See if your dealer will let you test drive the Pegasys, then you can see if it suits your needs, but the OTC CTM and Troubleshooter are no match for Snap-ons. Let us know what you think!

Thanks!
    Steve

Comment

• scottpayne73
      • Jun 2009

I have to agree with Steve.. I have used the OTC scanners and I do not like them either. We do not do reflashing here (due to not doing that many and expence), but I know when I was at the dealer, I tried to use my Verus with the GM programs and it was slower than my laptop when flashing, so I used the laptop more. As far as for information, I think S.O. scanners and troubleshooter have about 80% of the market for the best scanner out with all the functions. I cannot wait till 12.4 to get even more functions and information.
      SP

Comment

• eddiesverus
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by miller10
        question new to the forum and snap on diagnostics in general at the dealership we had WDS so no need for aftermarket scan or flash capable tool. I have recently opened my own shop and invested 12,000 in my verdict between the tool, euro coverage and software bundle 12.2 only to find out I have no re-flash capabilities for any of the anti-theft systems and I would now need to invest in the pass thru pro (not to mention a laptop) to have flash functions. while recently at a tool show the OTC Pegisus on display has built in re-flash capability plus all the scan capabilities of my verdict for a price of 4300 at the show has anyone used it and if so please tell me if the tool is as good as their salesmen hype it up and why i spent 12K for my verdict
        OTC is the new kid in the re-flashing industry. the new Pegisys is just as good as any pass-through programer, Honda is using the same VCI as a OEM interface, I've heard that Ford will be using it as well. Teradyne makes the software for Honda HDS and Ford IDS as well as the VCI. OTC sell it as a standalone unit or with the software PC Pegisys. Depending on what makes you plan on re-flashing check the manufactures website and verify the pass-through programmer has been tested. The list is growing as many new programers are being tested. I've used the OTC's VCI and its worked good. I've been using it with the Honda HDS software as well. but before you buy any re-programmer do your research. unfortunately SnapOn S-3 scan module is still not a flash-programer ready but hopefully it will become soon, it's got the capability just not enabled yet. but then we would have to wait until its been tested and approved by the OEM's.
        Hard Work, commitment, Honesty and not giving up is what Makes us better Tech's

Comment

• JOEY2383
          • Oct 2012

we had a pegasys here and it was terible. it gave eronious codes and had alot of issues. snap on has much better softwear and is a far better tool. we program mostly fords so we use ids which is great. ids will be using the bosh vci very soon though. i think a stand alone pass through device and your verdict would be the way to go. just my opinion.

Comment

• eddiesverus
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by JOEY2383
            we had a pegasys here and it was terible. it gave eronious codes and had alot of issues. snap on has much better softwear and is a far better tool. we program mostly fords so we use ids which is great. ids will be using the bosh vci very soon though. i think a stand alone pass through device and your verdict would be the way to go. just my opinion.
            I agree that OTC is buggy but now they have gotten better, just like snap-On and all new tools have issue and problems, its up to us to let them know so that they could fix them. with every new update something is fixed, but that the cost in having to pay for every update to fix something you got broken. no ones perfect and not even Snap-On is. The Only difference is OTC doesn't rape you for a very expensive broken tool.
            Hard Work, commitment, Honesty and not giving up is what Makes us better Tech's

Comment

• snap-on men
              • Feb 2012

snap-on is good but l thing snap-on need 1 member from snap-on 4 help on device of snap-on because l never heart of 1 technician from snap-on for help members please snap-on help for membersss.......

Comment

• Steve6911
                • Feb 2007

Jaime
                Many Snap-on employees have answered questions on these forums. What kind of problems are you having and with what tool? If you need help right away the best thing is to call the help line
                1-800-424-7226

Steve

Comment

Working...