" The diagnostic tester was unable to communicate with the module ".

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ShawnD
    • Feb 2013

" The diagnostic tester was unable to communicate with the module ".

I am fairly new to the ptp and live in a very rural area. With 6 shops in just a couple miles and me haveing the only reflash ability its been a good investment. Two weeks ago another shop had replaced the pcm on a 2010 F-150 with new one. I followed FMP instructions on flash and all seemed well, until i tried to start. Theft light flashing now. I tried to go into pats to relearn keys and i get " The diagnostic tester was unable to communicate with the module ". Reinstall old pcm and vehicle runs but still received message if i try to access PATS. Shop owner bought new IC called me today to try again. Same error code now vehicle does not run at all. Old pcm & IC does not matter. I did a Pats relearn on an 06 with no problems just a week prior. Any ideas would be great.
  • ToltecasChavez
    • Apr 2011

I know this is silly, but have you restarted the Laptop? This happened to me once and I restarted my PC and it communicated with it again. Also, try to unplug PCM and leave it out for 30 minutes. I had this happened to me once as well. When ur Plugged in witht PTP and the car, use the ToolBox program and test to see if the PTP is communicating with the PCM. Also, try to see what codes the car is giving you with a scanner if available. Can you communicate with any module? PCM, ABS, etc? Any details when that might seem insignificant when you were flashing would be good to know. Worst case, something is wrong with the new PCM since you swapped the old one and the car starts. Check the system for any DTC's about anti-theft. Regards, Chavez.

Comment

• ShawnD
      • Feb 2013

Just received e-mail from Ford today. "We apologize for the inconvenience, however Ford Module Programming (FMP) is unable to program PATS on 2010 F-150s. Engineering is aware of the concern and is working on a resolution, however we do not yet have a time frame for a resolution available. At this time it is our recommendation to refer the vehicle to a Ford dealer." That would have been a handy piece of information to have before I started this project. At least after several hours of confusion later I discovered I'm not crazy.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by ShawnD
        Just received e-mail from Ford today. "We apologize for the inconvenience, however Ford Module Programming (FMP) is unable to program PATS on 2010 F-150s. Engineering is aware of the concern and is working on a resolution, however we do not yet have a time frame for a resolution available. At this time it is our recommendation to refer the vehicle to a Ford dealer." That would have been a handy piece of information to have before I started this project. At least after several hours of confusion later I discovered I'm not crazy.
        Wow! Well, at least you have the answer, too bad it doesn't help you to solve it. Well, good luck and keep us posted. Regards, Chavez.

Comment

• ShawnD
          • Feb 2013

I received two calls from different shops last night needing me to flash an update on newer Fords. One is a 2010 F-150 the other being 06 Mercury. Does anyone know for sure if the Pats will have to be relearned doing a update flash? I have so far only done flashing in new or replaced pcms. If a Pats does need relearned then I do not wanna look stupid again by telling them after I'm done the vehicle still needs to go to Ford. Thanks

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

Programming PATS keys

I recall on Fords You need to wait 10 minutes with key on for security access before you can program any PATS keys. Best have a battery charger hooked up .

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
              • Apr 2011

I've done older cars, when i just update the PCM, the PATS doesn't need to be done. Again, I'm talking about 2002/2003. Newer ones, I'm not so sure. Updating it usually just updates the info, but not sure if PATS needs to be done for newer ones. You should try the 2006 one and see how that goes since you should have the ability to do PATS. 2010 one, not sure about. Ask Ford and see what they say as well. Good Luck!!!! Regards Chavez.

Comment

• diesel71
                • Feb 2008

Im not sure on the f-150 but the newer 2010 threw 2013 f-250-f-350 diesels yes you have to reset the pats. like witsend said you have to leave the key on for 10 minutes to gain access to the module.

Comment

• rich2010
                  • Dec 2011

You can flash (update calibration) the vehicles you described without having to do a parameter reset in PATS. You only need to gain security access when you replace PCM, Hybrid cluster or Pats module HTH

Comment

• tjswj
                    • May 2013

Im having the same Issue. 2001 F-150 4.6L super crew. Im trying to program a 2nd key. I can communicate with the pcm just fine, but not the pats system. Every time I try to enter PATS programming it just says " The diagnostic tester was unable to communicate with the module ."

Ive downloaded the latest fmp (84.00A) and 20 minutes before the f150 I added a spare key to a 2001 Taurus without issue.

I can take the ptp2 unit off, and hook up my modis and it communicates just fine.

I can also communicate with the pcm through the toolbox as well.

Ive left the key on for 10 min, and nothing. Shut down the laptop for and hour and still nothing. No communication.

Any Ideas?

Comment

• diesel71
                      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by tjswj
                      Im having the same Issue. 2001 F-150 4.6L super crew. Im trying to program a 2nd key. I can communicate with the pcm just fine, but not the pats system. Every time I try to enter PATS programming it just says " The diagnostic tester was unable to communicate with the module ."

Ive downloaded the latest fmp (84.00A) and 20 minutes before the f150 I added a spare key to a 2001 Taurus without issue.

I can take the ptp2 unit off, and hook up my modis and it communicates just fine.

I can also communicate with the pcm through the toolbox as well.

Ive left the key on for 10 min, and nothing. Shut down the laptop for and hour and still nothing. No communication.

Any Ideas?
                      Have you tried programing the second key using the owners manual? If i remember right there is a section in the owners manual that walks you threw programing an additional key. Are there any codes in the pats module?

Comment

• tjswj
                        • May 2013

Ill have to try the manual program. I only have 1 key for it though, and I thought you need at least 2 to do a manual program.

No, no codes stored in the pats module, pcm just has an egr flow code, but nothing that should prevent it from communicating with the ptp2 unit.

Comment

• diesel71
                          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by tjswj
                          Ill have to try the manual program. I only have 1 key for it though, and I thought you need at least 2 to do a manual program.

No, no codes stored in the pats module, pcm just has an egr flow code, but nothing that should prevent it from communicating with the ptp2 unit.
                          yes you will need 2 keys to perform the key programing. I belive that if the ptp2 unit dont communicate with the pats module its because it"s not supported at this time.

Comment

• tjswj
                            • May 2013

So my new 1800 dollar pass through pro 2 unit wont program keys to a vehicle thats 12 years old, because its "not supported at this time"? Thats very disappointing.
                            Last edited by tjswj; 05-18-2013, 08:01 AM.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                              • Apr 2011

That's odd bc I did was able to program 2 keys on a 2000 Taurus. Just to be picky, do u have any antivirus program shut down? Anything that runs in the background? What version of windows are u using?I like to press ALT+CTRL+DEL and see what programs are running in the background and make sure everything is off but the usual programs. Try to reinstall FMP and make sure u don't have other versions installed and always Reboot when done. Good Luck! Regards, Chavez.

Comment

Working...