Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums Diagnostic Home . Diagnostic Product Index . Customer Care        
Diagnostic SoftwareDiagnostic PlatformsAsk-a-Tech, Automotive Repair InformationTech Central
Go Back   Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums > Snap-on Diagnostic Products > Diagnostic Platforms > J2534 (Flash Reprogramming) User Forum
Home Today's Posts Register Members List FAQ
Thank you for visiting Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums.
You are currently NOT logged in to a registered account. Some functions of Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums will not be available to you if your are not logged in as a registered member. For a limited time only, registrationto Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums to Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums is !! FREE !! Select the    **REGISTER NOW**    link to register for your FREE Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums account!!

Old 08-30-2019, 12:37 AM

Joey8705 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Default Snap on pass thru pro 3 questions

My buddy lent me his pass thru pro 3. I'm wanting to learn how to use it. I have a 2001 Silverado that I'm going to practice on. My questions are what is this tool capable of doing? And do I need to go to another site to download software into the Silverado? Is it all on the ptp3? I went to the website and clicked the oem tab and clicked gm it took me to ac Delco and said not found. If I ha e to use another site to get the program what sites? Can I use any site or does it have to be gm. Like I said I'm wanting to learn and this is a spare truck I own. I want to change settings\parameters, idle, throttle response, shift points etc.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:48 AM

jm43130 Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

You need to go to AC DELCO TDS website, sign up, purchase programming software. Then you download the software. You do all programming form this site. HOWEVER, this is OEM site and you can not change any parameters or settings, just flash with OEM software files. If you want to change settings, you need to a purchase a Aftermarket Programmer and adjust settings with what they have built in. PTP3 will only flash OEM files.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:52 AM
Snap-on DSD

Joe Rappa Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Start here: https://www.snapon.com/diagnostics/u...IV/Drivers.htm

Download the toolbox software and drivers.
As already stated, a Pass Thru Programmer is for installing OEM software on vehicle computers. The capabilities are up to the OEMs. There are risks if you do it incorrectly. Sometimes there's risks even when you do it correctly.
GM stuff is pretty easy though, so it's a good place to start.

Joe
Old 09-01-2019, 01:30 PM

SnapOnKid Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey8705 View Post
My buddy lent me his pass thru pro 3. I'm wanting to learn how to use it. I have a 2001 Silverado that I'm going to practice on. My questions are what is this tool capable of doing? And do I need to go to another site to download software into the Silverado? Is it all on the ptp3? I went to the website and clicked the oem tab and clicked gm it took me to ac Delco and said not found. If I ha e to use another site to get the program what sites? Can I use any site or does it have to be gm. Like I said I'm wanting to learn and this is a spare truck I own. I want to change settings\parameters, idle, throttle response, shift points etc.
You can not change any of those conditions within the OEM software. The tool will only allow you to reflash and update software to the latest calibration offered from GM.

Even the OEM diagnostic tool can not adjust those settings within the PCM.

You need an aftermarket tool with their software to adjust those items.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:23 AM

tech25 Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

well said snaponkid,

exactly correct.. also, a 2001 chevy??? why mess with anything anyways?? its the farthest thing from performance..

I would just keep it as factory as possible. it will last longer and be more reliable.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:29 AM

BRIAN617 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech25 View Post
a 2001 chevy??? why mess with anything anyways??
Why not mess with it I say!

Won't learn much if you never try to take something apart or modify it.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:36 AM

tech25 Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIAN617 View Post

because one could mess the ecu up with coding and programming if it goes wrong. then you can open the ecu up and look at the circuit board all you want, then have someone with proper training actually fix it.

One can learn that there's a proper way and improper way of doing things,

thats what seperates the professionals, who do this for a living, from amateurs who have no formal/dealer engineering training. ones who like to tinker, mess things up, then run to forums asking how to fix it.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:32 PM
Snap-on DSD

Joe Rappa Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIAN617 View Post

Then buy an HP Tuner and have at it! Those early LS processors are very flexible.

There's a lot of cool things you can do with one. There's even more things you can break instead. If you're asking this question on this forum then my bet would be that you don't know what you're getting into.
My advice would be to join a few tuning forums. Spend some time searching them to see what others have done before you.
Tuning can be fun. If you're good it can even be an income stream. Screw-ups could cost you an engine, or an accident, so know what you're doing before you do something dopey. For example, I've seen multiple Chevy Trucks with aluminum driveshafts that have the speed limit raised. Those driveshafts come apart at speeds above the original limits. That's a good way to get killed, and maybe kill someone else too. So, again, just know what you're doing before you get yourself in trouble.

Joe
Old 09-06-2019, 07:52 AM

BRIAN617 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

I'm not saying tinker with a customers vehicle, but if you want to modify your own go for it.

Silly to tell someone to leave something alone because thats your personal opinion.

I do have HPtuners and few other tuning suites.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:42 PM

sandt38 Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rappa View Post
Then buy an HP Tuner and have at it! Those early LS processors are very flexible.

There's a lot of cool things you can do with one. There's even more things you can break instead. If you're asking this question on this forum then my bet would be that you don't know what you're getting into.
My advice would be to join a few tuning forums. Spend some time searching them to see what others have done before you.
Tuning can be fun. If you're good it can even be an income stream. Screw-ups could cost you an engine, or an accident, so know what you're doing before you do something dopey. For example, I've seen multiple Chevy Trucks with aluminum driveshafts that have the speed limit raised. Those driveshafts come apart at speeds above the original limits. That's a good way to get killed, and maybe kill someone else too. So, again, just know what you're doing before you get yourself in trouble.

Joe
Indeed! Years ago I worked in a performance shop and we did chips (dyno runs, not generic flashes) and various on board programming (Motec Systems most often) in Grand Nationals and other GM cars/trucks. It was a lot of fun, but you could sure melt down some pistons and head gaskets if your initial maps were off!

But as Joe said, you had better have a good understanding of what you are getting into. Timing curves and fuel maps can be tricky, and if done incorrectly, catastrophic.

But no, the PTP 3 will not allow you to mess with anything, nor will any factory tool.