Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums Diagnostic Home . Diagnostic Product Index . Customer Care        
Diagnostic SoftwareDiagnostic PlatformsAsk-a-Tech, Automotive Repair InformationTech Central
Go Back   Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums > Snap-on Diagnostic Products > Diagnostic Platforms > ZEUS User Forum
Home Today's Posts Register Members List FAQ
Thank you for visiting Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums.
You are currently NOT logged in to a registered account. Some functions of Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums will not be available to you if your are not logged in as a registered member. For a limited time only, registrationto Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums to Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums is !! FREE !! Select the    **REGISTER NOW**    link to register for your FREE Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums account!!

Old 10-02-2018, 07:40 AM

GypsyR Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Default The 18.4 thread

It would be nice if this could be a thread about nice improvements they have made with the new update. But when I informed my boss the Zeus had just updated to 18.4 his first reaction was "Oh God, so what have they F'd up this time?"

So in that vein....
They decided to arbitrarily separate the modules in the code reading section into "most common" and other modules. Like they have the faintest clue how I use my scanners. Stupid, arbitrary, and clueless change. Someone must have nothing better to do. There, I managed to get through that without using any of the four letter words I mutter when I have to look at this new arrangement and want to punch someone in the face.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Jay G. Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
It would be nice if this could be a thread about nice improvements they have made with the new update. But when I informed my boss the Zeus had just updated to 18.4 his first reaction was "Oh God, so what have they F'd up this time?"

So in that vein....
They decided to arbitrarily separate the modules in the code reading section into "most common" and other modules. Like they have the faintest clue how I use my scanners. Stupid, arbitrary, and clueless change. Someone must have nothing better to do. There, I managed to get through that without using any of the four letter words I mutter when I have to look at this new arrangement and want to punch someone in the face.
On the top left "Category View" you can un-check the box to put it back to classic view.
Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:42 AM

timstech Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

nice save
Old 10-02-2018, 11:05 AM

GypsyR Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

So THAT's what category view means! Sweet. I can unf#$k THAT anyway.

Ever notice how software, even that you pay little to nothing for will have an update now and then AND have a little addendum as a text file or something that will list what was added, updated, fixed, removed, etc in the newer version. Snap On wants me to pay quite a bit of money for these updates. Is there any chance there's a list anywhere of what I am getting?
Old 10-02-2018, 11:21 AM
Snap-on D&I

Rich Shepherd Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Select Diagnostic Platforms at the top of the forum page
https://www.snapon.com/diagnostics/u...cPlatforms.htm

Select Zeus platform

Then select the link for Upgrade 18.4 coverage guide down near the bottom of the page
Old 10-02-2018, 11:37 AM

I saw the advertising blurb there, not quite the same as update info, but something. No mention in there of stuff like they did or did not fix the "exit exit exit exit exit back back back back " problem or anything. Mostly sales blurb.
My favorite is the chart comparing various scanner features where they include the entire Edge line and Zeus but totally forgot the Zeus's twin, the Verus Edge.

I've yet to see something positive and interesting about the new update. Surely there's something.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:28 AM

greasybob You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

Key FOB programming for 2014 and newer GM trucks finally added, Yay !!!
Old 10-03-2018, 10:29 AM

tech25 Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

I watched their little video, read their pdf about this update. wow.. this has to be the smallest update I have seen. Besides their cloud based pre/post scan thing....this is small.

However. after reading various reviews about the diagnostic division for snap on. ( glassdoor ) i can only assume there is some micro managing, and only caring about the bottom line. I assume their employees are on strict lock down from revealing about their products and future plans.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:26 AM

Digging further. I see a buttload of ADAS scanning capability and stuff. That seems to be mostly what this update is aimed at. A fine thing for body shops I guess but about none of that applies to our shop.

Some added functionality on some other things. You can finally reset the O2 sensors on 2008 Sprinter vans and such (wait, 2008?) Bunch of little stuff.

"Hey Fred, if I bring by my 2014 Corvette by can you re-initialize the convertible top module?"
"Dunno Barney, let me get my high dollar scanner out and see. Well, the roof thing is in there but I have no way of telling if I can reset it or just read the and clear the codes without actually connecting to your car. Hang on, let me get out my off-brand cheap scanner just for kicks. What do you know, it says it will. Bring your car by."

The "Category view" checkbox is not really any help. It still "organizes" the modules according to someone else's idea of convenience.
Category: Body Control Modules
Contents: Body Control Module
Really? Good grief. Above example drawn from a 2001 Grand Cherokee. The category stuff is just in the way. I don't like "in the way". This is officially called the "Intuitive Systems Menu". Intuitive you say. The late Mandy Potinkin's line pops to mind: "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Speaking of which the new splash screen. That's a brain dead speed bump. Plug in the DLC to start scanning! Or whatever it actually says. Really? We needed that added in there? Between that and category view 17.4 is looking real good.

The update brags on one button code scanning. This is still very much hit and miss depending on manufacturer, and has not changed. In fact half of the page that lists some of that "newer and better" stuff applies just as well to my elderly and very outdated Modis (version 1).

I'm guessing the "Altus" thing is part of 18.4? It's not made real clear. Doesn't matter really as it looks to be a solution desperately seeking a problem. Not of fan of "cloud" anything anyway, being well aware that "cloud" just means someone else's computer at the other end of an iffy internet connection. The Shopstream Connect program has the potential of displacing Altus if you ask me, but whatever.

Still looking for positives. It's not broken, that's good. No, really. A year's worth of updates for these scanners costs about the same as a brand new mid-range, err "off-brand", scanner that is up to date and has free updates for a year. Just looking for the value in my dollars. We have a Zeus that is on the subscription service but other scanners in the shop which are not. So far it's looking like their updates will wait another year.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:45 PM

kirkbarrow.garage Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

[QUOTE=GypsyR;62368]Digging further. I see a buttload of ADAS scanning capability and stuff. That seems to be mostly what this update is aimed at. A fine thing for body shops I guess but about none of that applies to our shop.

Not of fan of "cloud" anything anyway, being well aware that "cloud" just means someone else's computer at the other end of an iffy internet connection.

Totally, and wholeheartedly agree about ‘ cloud ‘ based anything, no internet ( for whatever reason ) and you are totally unable to access YOUR things !