Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tonybushmin
    • Feb 2019

Intro to GM programming

Hey guys just found this forum and have been reading some really helpful information. I am looking to program a 2007 Chevrolet Equinox 2.4L ecm. I reprogrammed my own vehicle (2006 Dodge Ram 2500) once before using Chrysler software and J2534.

First off I need to know what I need to work in conjunction with my jbox, I found https://www.acdelcotds.com and https://tis2web.service.gm.com
    if these are the right sights to start what subscription do I purchase and where do I get the file to flash. I have the vin and part number for the file.

Second, can I reflash a used ecm and write a new vin on it to work with the vehicle. I was told it may not work but I know you can do it for Chrysler but not sure for GM. Just wondering if its possible because we are trying to save the customer some money.

Lastly, is there anything else I need to know before I follow through with the flash. On my Dodge there was a pin that I needed to know for the SKIM system in the key fob and luckily I was on the phone with a guy who helped me and got it for me.

I want to be fully prepared this time before I dive into a customers ecm.
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Don't forget a battery maintainer .What type of Jbox are you going to use?
    I've only done ECM flashes at the dealer. All the ECMs I ever installed outside the dealer were used ECUs where a Chinaman scan tool was still able to communicate with old ECU and retrieve needed information and force write VINs ,to the replacement otherwise Sianara Suckers.
    Couple years ago I initially bought a new Windows 10 Pro laptop in order to do programming from because they want you to use Windows 7or 10 Pro(not Home Version) , however at the time a lot of the OE manufacturers are still stuck on Windows 7 , wanting you to uninstall your anti virus, use old Internet Explorer versions, use old Java versions. Can't have Ford and Mazda on same PC, and other makes Jbox software conflicts with each other and can't be together on the same PC.
    I gave the new laptop to my wife so I can take over her old Window 7 Pro , but she's b@tching now I have to buy her MicroShaft Word with Excess and powerpunch, for new laptop so it's still sitting basically unused.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
      • Apr 2011

Chevy's are the easiest of them all. Just need a good battery charger, ALWAYS. I even have my charger on my laptop bc I have run into a few problems when my laptop is running on battery. Very low power can screw up the programming. Once you have set up the long process of registering to ACDelco subscriptions. It's easy. Used or new, they both can be programmed. Only way to get the VIN changed is to flash the old or used PCM. Make sure you use the New Option so it force flashes the old PCM. You will see the option once ur in the programming system. After flashing PCM comes the 10 minute antitheft programming to start the car. Just a tip, I think on new PCM's the antitheft relearn is not needed. Should check anyways if the car doesn't start after flashing New PCM. Used PCM you will always have to do antitheft relearn. Let the programming do it's job for 10 minutes and done! If you get crank correlation codes, just do the crank relearn using any scan tool. Most have it. I do it all the time, because random misfires at high RPM is usually caused by not doing relearn. Anyways, that should take around 30 minutes if you have done it before. Good Luck!

Comment

• bestdamgarage
        • Apr 2016

You should be fine with used on that vehicle .Newer vehicles that are global cannot use used modules.

Comment

• tonybushmin
          • Feb 2019

Okay this sounds easy enough. I am going to purchase a subscription soon and I will see how it goes. I saw videos on YouTube with older GMs that they would just a vin relearn in the scan tool and everything worked. And also with older ones they would do a 30 minute key relearn process, the key crank, key off, key on 10 min, key off, key on 10, that type of thing.

Also on the acdelco website, in the faq someone asked about what subscription they should purchase with the j2534 and they said tis2web - service programming subscription. Is this the same subscription that I see on acdelcotds.com/subscriptions under programming?
          Last edited by tonybushmin; 02-27-2019, 06:20 AM.

Comment

• Steve6911
            • Feb 2007

here is a link to an older GM video, should show you what you will be doing.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
              • Apr 2011

The option that says Programming: Vehicle Programming Software. You purchase the $40 for 1 VIN. After you buy the subscription, there's gonna be a few things that are gonna need to be installed if it's ur first time. Just follow prompts and you should be good. After everything needed installs, you will see the SPS screen. Once you connect to the car and are ready to flash, the program will either show u the VIN of the car, show you a screen saying no VIN and you have to manually input it. After you successfully program the car, the subscription will be tied to that one VIN. You will always see that VIN everytime you log in to ur account until you exhaust all your programming "Chances". That's what I call them. So if a car has 3 programmable modules, you get 3 chances to flash. After the 3rd time, the session for that VIN will be over and you will have to buy another subscription if you want to flash that same car again. Anyways, I rambled to long. Good Luck!

Comment

• tonybushmin
                • Feb 2019

Will this work on a 2011? What is the cutoff year for reprogramming used computers?

Comment

• Glide
                  • Jan 2015

Originally posted by tonybushmin
                  Will this work on a 2011? What is the cutoff year for reprogramming used computers?
                  2011 Equinox is a "Global" vehicle,so I would say no.

Vehicles supported by GDS2 are Global,see here> https://gsi.ext.gm.com/userguides/GD...d_Vehicles.pdf

Comment

• tonybushmin
                    • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Glide
                    2011 Equinox is a "Global" vehicle,so I would say no.

Vehicles supported by GDS2 are Global,see here> https://gsi.ext.gm.com/userguides/GD...d_Vehicles.pdf
                    Dang. I wrote the wrong year and 2007 was a different vehicle.

I read a post on here about a guy programming a 2010 but only after many failed attempts. All im gonna need to do is change the vin. Oh well I guess new ecu it is...

Comment

Working...