Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums Diagnostic Home . Diagnostic Product Index . Customer Care        
Diagnostic SoftwareDiagnostic PlatformsAsk-a-Tech, Automotive Repair InformationTech Central
Go Back   Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums > Snap-on Diagnostic Products > Diagnostic Platforms > ZEUS User Forum
Home Today's Posts Register Members List FAQ
Thank you for visiting Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums.
You are currently NOT logged in to a registered account. Some functions of Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums will not be available to you if your are not logged in as a registered member. For a limited time only, registrationto Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums to Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums is !! FREE !! Select the    **REGISTER NOW**    link to register for your FREE Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums account!!

Old 06-15-2019, 12:28 PM

ToltecasChavez Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Not sure why they're knocking it. Lol. As technology advances, things get easier. Why is that not good enough? Not sure why, but I like that it actually makes it easier to diagnose. Also, it's not like everyone does their own work. Instead of making fun of the tech, which is everywhere and has been for a while, lets celebrate the advances.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:15 AM

Crusty You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie8 View Post
The point is it does the thinking for you.
What is there to "think" about-?
Desired =X
Actual =Y

While it may be of help for a 1st year apprentice, or a DIY guy, it sure isn't "Intelligent Diagnostics".
Old 06-16-2019, 08:19 AM
Banned

Witsend Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Quote:
What is there to "think" about-?
Desired =X
Actual =Y
Sometimes there are just so many damn Data PIDS you need to sift through to find what you actually want. The way some manufacturers catagorize Data PIDS things for some makes are better than others makes. Like GM has some things devided into Misfire, Air Fuel , Transmission, Exhaust Gas recirculation, Evaporative Emission, etc.
Just be nice to go in and be able to easily customize the list in selected category to add few thing not seen in the category besides unchecking things displayed in the category list you do not wish to see.
I had a 2006 Ford Expedition that had a transmission with no direct, or overdrive, but no transmission codes stored yet. On my particular scanner with Ford the live data has no categories and there is probably over a hundred Data PIDS you need to sift through, just to find the relevant transmission Pids.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:58 AM

Crusty You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

When THIS is in the vehicle....
""P008A*00 | Low Pressure Fuel System Pressure * Too Low * Pending DTC."",
it isn't brain surgery or rocket science to look at fuel pressure pids, whatever the vehicle is or however long the pid lists are....
The CODE sent the OP in the direction to test, not "intelligent diagnostics"...
Some vehicles could have one related pid, some may have two, some may have six. Regardless, things need to be tested to verify that what the electronic modules "think" they see is actually the case.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:07 AM

ToltecasChavez Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

The name should be made fun of. It's like the Genius Bar at apple stores. But to knock down the tech that's already there just because it makes life easier for most mechanics? Come on, don't do that. Makes people sound like snobs. "After my 1st year, I can diagnose a car by just sticking the oil up my arse and know the exact problem". Just don't. DO NOT.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:05 AM
Snap-on DSD

Joe Rappa Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

To add a few points here:

1) I know Ed personally. I know him to be a very knowledgeable Technician. He's always eager to gain knowledge and share it.
2) I think he chose a poor example to demo what Intelligent Diag can do, because there are plenty of examples where it flags a bad PID without there being a desired:actual reference.

Whether you agree with the premise or power of it, nobody can know the correct ranges of every PID on every vehicle. In instances where there is no desired:actual reference for the PID, Smart Data can get you pointed in the right direction. It's also handy for the guy that doesn't do diagnostics regularly.
I wasn't a fan of it in the beginning, for some of the same reasons stated in this thread. I sure do have a lot of customers that like it though. If I ever get any complaints on it, it's not about functionality. It's about the subscription that accompanies it.

Joe
Old 06-17-2019, 11:17 AM
Banned

Witsend Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

The pids that show in red (Out of Range). Is this only useful for flagging something KOEO and KOER that is below minimum or above maximum parameters that sets a code ?Operating range is shown in parenthesis on most $1500 and up Chinaman tools that show red. Is the Zeus smarter and can flag the pid still within the Min /Max code setting criteria at any engine loads and display in parenthesis a dynamically changing narrower desired range for that specific engine operating condition like monitoring grams per second on a MAF sensor?
Old 06-17-2019, 03:58 PM
Snap-on DSD

Joe Rappa Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witsend View Post
The pids that show in red (Out of Range). Is this only useful for flagging something KOEO and KOER that is below minimum or above maximum parameters that sets a code ?Operating range is shown in parenthesis on most $1500 and up Chinaman tools that show red. Is the Zeus smarter and can flag the pid still within the Min /Max code setting criteria at any engine loads and display in parenthesis a dynamically changing narrower desired range for that specific engine operating condition like monitoring grams per second on a MAF sensor?
It is supposed to be used at hot idle.
Joe
Old 06-18-2019, 07:48 AM

eddie8 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
When THIS is in the vehicle....
""P008A*00 | Low Pressure Fuel System Pressure * Too Low * Pending DTC."",
it isn't brain surgery or rocket science to look at fuel pressure pids, whatever the vehicle is or however long the pid lists are....
The CODE sent the OP in the direction to test, not "intelligent diagnostics"...
Some vehicles could have one related pid, some may have two, some may have six. Regardless, things need to be tested to verify that what the electronic modules "think" they see is actually the case.
Well Crusty...Your a really smart fellar….

The OP read the code description but the OP actually looked in the smart data section to give the clue
Your right...it doesn't take a rocket scientist to use intelligent diagnostics but just maybe there are some technicians that need some extra help. You obviously are way over qualified to use the resources that snap on put in there tool. The point of this post was to show the less advanced techs that this tool can help them and point them in the right direction.

To everybody who responded to this post I thank you for your responses. This post is an example of why there are a lot less posts on a variety of subjects in these forums. Posts are put up to help people not ridicule them or the sponsor. I can take criticism like the rest of them but this post really didn't generate a need for debate. If you would like to debate with me then lets do it in a pm. Would love to hear your theories on this and how you would have approached this topic using intelligent diagnostics....after all..thats what this is about correct?
Old 06-18-2019, 10:05 AM

Wheel Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

What I like about the intelligent diagnostics concept is it rounds up the tests, troubleshooter, etc in one place where you don't have to navigate around the tool to find them

What I absolutely DO NOT like about this is having to be internet dependent on it. No internet for any reason = none of this feature which could AND SHOULD be based in the tool itself.