X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maui
    • Feb 2018

Solus will not communicate with any vehicle

Aloha to the forum,
    New guy here, and of course I am in need of help.

I have owned this Solus scanner for about ten years now. (7.2)
    For some unknown reason, it has stopped communicating with all vehicles.

The scanner seams as if it is working fine, IE. it boots, takes commands, says what key is required for the vehicle being accessed, and it can access trouble shooting/fast track, etc. It just can't connect to any vehicle.

Tried using all cables and keys on another SO scanner, all worked fine.

I understand that this is an old scanner, but I sure do like it. I own a Solus-pro, and a Modis, and neither preform at the speed that the Solus does.

I did a search on the subject and found little to no useful information. I have seen a few other reports about this condition, so I am not alone.

Anyone have any ideas on what might be the issue, and if it can be corrected?

Could this be an internal software time bomb that renders the scanner useless after a certain amount of time?

I did find where someone had tried rebooting the CF? card. Tried that, obviously it did not work.

Mahalo for any and all information.

aloha.
  • Joe Rappa
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

You've covered the things i would recommend trying.
    On those old Solus' and Modis' that stopped communicating it found:
    Bent pins on the 16 pin connector.
    Bad 16 pin connector.
    Bad Personality Key (but only when COM problem is related to that key)
    Bad cable.
    Bad scanner motherboard.

If you've tried all new external stuff, I'm afraid you may be out of luck.

Maybe someone else will have better suggestions for you.

Joe
    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
    Henry Ford

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

If you verified the cable and keys work fine in your other Snap On Scanners , it's time to just split it like a coconut .Let's Get Crackin

Comment

• Maui
        • Feb 2018

Thank you for the quick replies.
        I'm sorry, but I do not understand what is meant by "it's time to just split it like a coconut .Let's Get Crackin".

I suppose that the scanner has an internal issue that is beyond repair.

I must say that I am a little concerned about the build quality of this unit, and others that have followed, like the Pro and Modis.

This Solus might be old, but it has seen very little usage over the years. It was for personal use, and has never been in a commercial shop environment.

I didn't realize just how good this scanner was until I replaced it with the Pro and then the Modis. Long story why I ended up with both of those scanners, but the short version is the Solus went south so I purchased the Pro, then a few days later my old Sun lab scope went south.

Anyway, I'm not sure whether the Pro and the Modis have problems, (both were purchased used) but both scanners take what seems like a long time to boot, and both respond slowly to commands, compared to the Solus. Also, both of the Pro and the Modis do not go back one page at a time, but return to the main menu that you see when first loading the vehicle information each time the N button is selected. That is very annoying.

I can get the job done, which is the most important thing, but overall, I am disappointed in the performance, and software found in the newer models. I understand that versions 13.4 and 14.2 are considered old by todays standards, but I generally do not work on 4 or 5 year old vehicles.

I'm getting off topic, sorry.
        Thanks again.

aloha.

Comment

• sbreland73
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Maui
          Thank you for the quick replies.
          I'm sorry, but I do not understand what is meant by "it's time to just split it like a coconut .Let's Get Crackin".

aloha.
          You'll have to overlook comments from this user, as they offer little to no value, other than entertainment.

Are your comm issues related to OBDII and/or Manufacture specific protocols? Is the no comm issue with ALL modules in a given vehicle, or just some?
          S. Breland

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

Just saying take it apart carefully and see if it might have a cracked solder joint at one the serial data pins of connector or maybe something obvious you might be able to fix . Just messing with the Coconut business since you seem to be rubbing it in that you are in a nice Tropical Island of Hawaii saying Aloha to us while most of us are freezing are butts off up here cursing at corroded salt frozen bolts . Lol.Welcome to forum

Comment

• Maui
              • Feb 2018

Originally posted by sbreland73
              You'll have to overlook comments from this user, as they offer little to no value, other than entertainment.

Are your comm issues related to OBDII and/or Manufacture specific protocols? Is the no comm issue with ALL modules in a given vehicle, or just some?
              Thanks for the response.

Good question on the OBD2. I have thought about trying the scanner on an older OBD1 system, but finding such a vehicle that's even capable of being read is not easy.

I think that there's an old Miata out in the yard that might work if it had a fresh battery, so I'll give that a try, and let you know if it will communicate with that. But the Miata is a pretty basic system, and iirc, it only has blink codes and no live data.

As for being isolated to one module, or vehicle goes...the answer is no. The scanner will not communicate with any OBD2 system at this time.

Comment

• Maui
                • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Witsend
                Just saying take it apart carefully and see if it might have a cracked solder joint at one the serial data pins of connector or maybe something obvious you might be able to fix . Just messing with the Coconut business since you seem to be rubbing it in that you are in a nice Tropical Island of Hawaii saying Aloha to us while most of us are freezing are butts off up here cursing at corroded salt frozen bolts . Lol.Welcome to forum
                Sorry if I offended, it was not my intension. And please do not take this the wrong way, but a guy really doesn't always know, or stop to think about what the weather might be like in other parts of the world.

Saying "aloha' is a habit, and it is not intended to be taken as any kind of a slam.

As for taking the scanner apart, been there and did that. No signs of smoke being released from any of those little components that make up the mother board.

I have a feeling that this is software related. I sure would like a chance to try a different CF card, but I have never seen one come up for sale.

mahalo for the replies, and aloha.

Comment

• Maui
                  • Feb 2018

One other thing that I just recalled. At times, this symbol " [V] " just like that, can be seen blinking in the lower right hand corner of the display screen.

Off to see if I can find an OBD1.

Update.
                  The scanner will not communicate with an OBD1 system as well.

Very strange that the scanner will preform all functions, except for linking up.

Oh well...such is life.

Thank you again for all of the replies, and information.

aloha.
                  Last edited by Maui; 02-16-2018, 04:49 PM.

Comment

• kirkbarrow.garage
                    • Jan 2015

Sorry if I offended, it was not my intension. And please do not take this the wrong way, but a guy really doesn't always know, or stop to think about what the weather might be like in other parts of the world.

Saying "aloha' is a habit, and it is not intended to be taken as any kind of a slam.

As for taking the scanner apart, been there and did that. No signs of smoke being released from any of those little components that make up the mother board.

I have a feeling that this is software related. I sure would like a chance to try a different CF card, but I have never seen one come up for sale.

mahalo for the replies, and aloha.

Hello Maui, you may not be aware of this, but the CF card is linked to the Solus in question and will come up with a red security error if you try another one.

To solve this, swap the daughter board AND CF card together from another unit ( if you find one ) and this should function correctly for you to check out the motherboards circuits and connections.

Hope this assists you to a final analysis

Comment

• Tech10
                      • Mar 2008

Aloha to the forum,
                      New guy here, and of course I am in need of help.

I have owned this Solus scanner for about ten years now. (7.2)
                      For some unknown reason, it has stopped communicating with all vehicles.

The scanner seams as if it is working fine, IE. it boots, takes commands, says what key is required for the vehicle being accessed, and it can access trouble shooting/fast track, etc. It just can't connect to any vehicle.

Tried using all cables and keys on another SO scanner, all worked fine.

I understand that this is an old scanner, but I sure do like it. I own a Solus-pro, and a Modis, and neither preform at the speed that the Solus does.

I did a search on the subject and found little to no useful information. I have seen a few other reports about this condition, so I am not alone.

Anyone have any ideas on what might be the issue, and if it can be corrected?

Could this be an internal software time bomb that renders the scanner useless after a certain amount of time?

I did find where someone had tried rebooting the CF? card. Tried that, obviously it did not work.

Mahalo for any and all information.

aloha.
                      The first thing that needs to be done is to reinstall the software. Search the forum, the process has been mentioned before. The update needs to complete successfully. The scanner module is faulty if it errors out during one of the 6 scanner downloads at the end of the update. The scanner module is part of the mother board.

Comment

• Maui
                        • Feb 2018

Originally posted by kirkbarrow.garage
                        Hello Maui, you may not be aware of this, but the CF card is linked to the Solus in question and will come up with a red security error if you try another one.

To solve this, swap the daughter board AND CF card together from another unit ( if you find one ) and this should function correctly for you to check out the motherboards circuits and connections.

Hope this assists you to a final analysis

Thank you for that information, I was not aware of that security device.

I have been watching for another Solus, but as hard as it is to believe, they are still commanding a good price. It was such a handy scanner, and I truly do miss it.

Thanks again.

aloha

Comment

• Witsend
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2012

The first thing that needs to be done is to reinstall the software. Search the forum, the process has been mentioned before. The update needs to complete successfully. The scanner module is faulty if it errors out during one of the 6 scanner downloads at the end of the update. The scanner module is part of the mother board.
                          I think the first thing to do is reset the date correctly or at least to a date after the release date of the software that he is trying to reinstall. WTF, I'm surprised there aren't some Old Retired SnapOn Crooners coming on here giving advise on workarounds and how to do a few things to keep some of the old retired platforms going so there aren't as many @ssholes like me going Chinese

Last edited by Witsend; 02-16-2018, 08:10 PM.

Comment

• Maui
                            • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Tech10
                            Thank you.

I did a lot of searching for information on rebooting/reinstalling the software, not only here but on the web in general. Man there's a lot of bad information out there, but I found 1 thread in this forum on the subject that seemed legit, and that was it

I preformed that reset, and it seemed as if it had no effect, and actually did nothing. I say that because all of the previous vehicle history was still in the memory after the reboot. I might be wrong, but I'd think that all previous vehicle information would be cleared out during a true reboot, reset, etc.

Do anyone know if there's more than one type of reboot/reset/reinstall procedure?

Again, thank you for all of the ideas and suggestions,
                            aloha

Comment

• Maui
                              • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Witsend
                              I think the first thing to do is reset the date correctly or at least to a date after the release date of the software that he is trying to reinstall. WTF, I'm surprised there aren't some Old Retired SnapOn Crooners coming on here giving advise on workarounds and how to do a few things to keep some of the old retired platforms going so there aren't as many @ssholes like me going Chinese

https://www1.snapon.com/Diagnostics/...S-software.htm
                              Well... I think I know where you're going with the date thing, but I have no idea if this is even possible.
                              I looked around the file system and found that only a few files could actually be opened, and of course, once opened, I had no idea of what I was looking at, or for.

I must admit that I did not pay close attention when the scanner was reloading, and when I did check, the reload had already completed.

Maybe I should try the reboot again and see if I missed anything. The talk of six steps has me wondering if human input is needed, and if the input isn't there, the reload continues and reverts back to the previous state before the reload was started. Hmm... I'm confusing myself now, sorry if no one is following me, but I kind of know where I'm going with this now.

Even here it is getting late, so I'll try and pick this up again tomorrow.

Thanks again everyone.
                              aloha.

Comment

Working...