Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GRRRR8
    • Aug 2012

New Member and Verus Pro Owner

I just received my new Verus Pro with 12.4 today. Having had a Brick and Graphing Brick and 7 Modis units (long story!), I will say I am fairly impressed with the VP capabilities.

I have the KRSC46 cart ordered with the foam inserts, the docking station w/monitor and the Pass Thru Pro as well.

I look forward to sharing info with you guys!

Charlie
  • Joe Rappa
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

Welcome aboard!
    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
    Henry Ford

Comment

• Bob Heybrock
      • Jan 2011

I traded my Gen I in on the Pro last night and I already love it, especially having Jaguar coverage and being able to graph OE data. The wireless is of course new to me and at 3lbs lighter how cool is that? It appears to have the same processor & hard drive as the Gen II but has 1.99 gigs of RAM instead of 1 GB, right?

The screen is very bright and is a little shorter but slightly wider than my old unit, more like the Verdict's aspect ratio but larger.

I am going to check into the docking station because I can already see wearing out the rubber hinged door that has to be opened to charge it. Anybody got one of those yet?

I had been somewhat anoyed with the fact that within 6 months of purchasing my Gen I the Gen II came out and I know of one person feeling now like I did then, I feel your pain!

I'm cautiously optimistic that Snap On has handled some of the problems I had with my Gen I and general 11.4 issues but I am pleased enough (right now) that I will get over it if they are still there. We'll see

Comment

• GRRRR8
        • Aug 2012

I have the docking station and monitor ordered for those reasons as well. Having a monitor on the cart and it being wireless almost allows it to stay on the cart for most of the stuff we would encounter.

Now I am looking for a compact printer for it.....

Comment

• MadMatt1372
          • Jan 2008

Hey Bob, How much did you get on the trade in for your old Verus? I've been playing with one this week. My dealer hasn't given me any number yet. Did you add the wireless scan module to your old Verus?

Comment

• Wheel
            • Jul 2007

I am more curious about the 12.4 than I am about the new verus.
            What is changed besides updated vehicle coverage? Any scope enhancements? Any new features on the scanner side of things?
            Did they return any of the features they took from us when they went
            from 10.2 to 10.4?
            You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• sandt38
              • May 2012

Looks like a trip to Bob's shop is in order. He stiffed us in training last night just to get a new toy. Jeez Bob, where are your priorities man!

Comment

• Bob Heybrock
                • Jan 2011

OK,OK I got it. Well today I was totally unproductive messing around with my new toy!

Up till now I have been using my "wired" Gen I unit with 11.4 and this new unit is already loaded with 12.4 so I guess some of these things may have come about with 12.2, that I do not know but here are a couple things I've noticed so far:

1. VIN is back and one thing that is kind of cool is the VIN #s I had entered for the short time I had 10.2 are now reappearing in Vehicle History.

2. This was needed and very cool, again part of vehicle history and that is dates are now displayed showing when eah group of fault codes were accessed on the vehicle, and really cool, all my transfered history files now have these dates displayed retroactive (it was obviously recorded at the time but never before shown.)

3. Hardware related; the scope module slides off the main unit so the standard, shielded cables can be used and placed close to the component being tested. No, unfortunately it is not then wirelessly connected (got to be in the plans however) but included is a 9ft USB cable to connect it back to the main unit.

4. The screen is VERY bright and really can now be seen while driving in the daytime. (Heck I couldn't turn it dim enough last night to keep it from seriously distracting me.)

5. I think the 1.99GB RAM is .99 more than the Gen II so that is nice, gobs nicer than 500MB.

6. Very fast everything I've tested so far which has been mostly Scanner functions.

7. Also, added to the vehicle info section (View) is an "Attachments" window on the bottom right and any saved Scanner Data file is placed there like a shortcut for quickly review. (I have created my own sub-folders for different makes of vehicles and after I moved them they did not show up there any longer but it may be a nice place for them to be, temporarliy, while working on the vehicle and later have them more organized for reference purposes, the choice would be yours.)

8. One of my complaints previously has been handled and that is the Scope screen "grid" seems to return if turned on when reopening the same file. Thanks for listening Snap-On!

9. Not noticed before a new "Save" icon names, with vehicle data, and dates a Scanner Data file so you don't have to...Major time saver!

And of course 3 pounds less wieght requires no comment!

It may be too early to say but generally it seems less apt to lock up & be glitchy! Might be because things load faster and I am less apt to re-select an option.

I will continue to report other cool (or not so cool) things I see but so far it is great!

Comment

• Wheel
                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Bob Heybrock
                  OK,OK I got it. Well today I was totally unproductive messing around with my new toy!

Actually, you'd be more unproductive if you didn't take time to get acquainted with it... great excuse, huh?

Up till now I have been using my "wired" Gen I unit with 11.4 and this new unit is already loaded with 12.4 so I guess some of these things may have come about with 12.2, that I do not know but here are a couple things I've noticed so far:

1. VIN is back and one thing that is kind of cool is the VIN #s I had entered for the short time I had 10.2 are now reappearing in Vehicle History.

Good

2. This was needed and very cool, again part of vehicle history and that is dates are now displayed showing when eah group of fault codes were accessed on the vehicle, and really cool, all my transfered history files now have these dates displayed retroactive (it was obviously recorded at the time but never before shown.)

REAL good

3. Hardware related; the scope module slides off the main unit so the standard, shielded cables can be used and placed close to the component being tested.

Not so much an advantage for those who have the 10ft shielded leads
                  from AES, but this may surely help with the problem of the ignition leads being too short, which I've fussed about repeatedly, and may also be an advantage when working with pressure transducers, which I do frequently. The other advantage i see is the scope can now more easily be repaired or upgraded in the future.

No, unfortunately it is not then wirelessly connected (got to be in the plans however) but included is a 9ft USB cable to connect it back to the main unit.

You can use the Verdict wireless scope from what I hear. I think the reason there was no 4 channel wireless scope and no full featured
                  ignition scope is probably because wireless has its limits for the same reason as a wired network connection is faster than a wireless one.

4. The screen is VERY bright and really can now be seen while driving in the daytime. (Heck I couldn't turn it dim enough last night to keep it from seriously distracting me.)

Another big plus

5. I think the 1.99GB RAM is .99 more than the Gen II so that is nice, gobs nicer than 500MB.

6. Very fast everything I've tested so far which has been mostly Scanner functions.

7. Also, added to the vehicle info section (View) is an "Attachments" window on the bottom right and any saved Scanner Data file is placed there like a shortcut for quickly review. (I have created my own sub-folders for different makes of vehicles and after I moved them they did not show up there any longer but it may be a nice place for them to be, temporarliy, while working on the vehicle and later have them more organized for reference purposes, the choice would be yours.)

This would be interesting to play around with.

8. One of my complaints previously has been handled and that is the Scope screen "grid" seems to return if turned on when reopening the same file. Thanks for listening Snap-On!

I guess this is a matter of preference, I LIKE grids, and wish the default would be to display them in both Shopstream Connect & the Verus scope. As it is, I have to waste a lot of time wading through the menus and turning them on, something I've complained to Snap On about. A person does need a choice and the means to make that choice as quick and painless as possible. I use grids 100% of the time.

9. Not noticed before a new "Save" icon names, with vehicle data, and dates a Scanner Data file so you don't have to...Major time saver!

This is GREAT news! This is one area the Modis had a big advantage over the Verus, and something I have complained about almost since the first Verus came out. Do they have a provision for you to save and edit any commentary with the scanner data? If not, we need to move this up close to the top of the wish list.

And of course 3 pounds less wieght requires no comment!

It may be too early to say but generally it seems less apt to lock up & be glitchy! Might be because things load faster and I am less apt to re-select an option.

I will continue to report other cool (or not so cool) things I see but so far it is great!
                  Thanks for the input so far.
                  You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Bob Heybrock
                    • Jan 2011

I might not have been clear about the grids (to Wheel), I prefer them too and that is what I meant. I just powered my unit up, which only took 2:12 minutes to boot & completely load the software suite by the way, and checked to be sure. When I open the scope the grids are there by default, same for the graphing multimeter. What I had done the other day was opened a prerecorded graphing multimeter file, which as you know had to have the grids turned on each time they were opened. I turned the grid for it on, closed it and when I reopened it the grid was still there, that is what I was specifically pleased with...I had not even verified what I just checked now. I have not checked to see if when they are turned off they stay off, I don't care about that, I'll leave that up to someone else to report.

Also in scanning the same car I recall w/11.4 often when activating a vehicle from a history file I would have to re-enter specific vehicle info, that seems to have been handled.

Got to go, will report more later.

Comment

• sandt38
                      • May 2012

Originally posted by Bob Heybrock
                      I might not have been clear about the grids (to Wheel), I prefer them too and that is what I meant. I just powered my unit up, which only took 2:12 minutes to boot & completely load the software suite by the way, and checked to be sure. When I open the scope the grids are there by default, same for the graphing multimeter. What I had done the other day was opened a prerecorded graphing multimeter file, which as you know had to have the grids turned on each time they were opened. I turned the grid for it on, closed it and when I reopened it the grid was still there, that is what I was specifically pleased with...I had not even verified what I just checked now. I have not checked to see if when they are turned off they stay off, I don't care about that, I'll leave that up to someone else to report.

Also in scanning the same car I recall w/11.4 often when activating a vehicle from a history file I would have to re-enter specific vehicle info, that seems to have been handled.

Got to go, will report more later.
                      The info says 30 seconds. I load in 2 minutes, I also have the same basic info reload info.

My dealer may be interested in seeing your tool. Perhaps we can work something out. I'll talk to him Friday, as I was hammered today when he came by.

Comment

• sbreland73
                        • Jan 2009

When XPe is no longer useful...............
                        Attached Files
                        S. Breland

Comment

• Bob Heybrock
                          • Jan 2011

[QUOTE=sandt38;32935]The info says 30 seconds. I load in 2 minutes, I also have the same basic info reload info.

Yea, I saw that 30sec claim also...The only explaination I thought of at first was that might have been with 12.2 but I wonder now if my Euro option is increasing it.

Comment

• Bob Heybrock
                            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by sbreland73
                            When XPe is no longer useful...............
                            sbreland, your profile states a "Verus Ultimate" as your diagnostic tool, what is that? And have you installed Windows 7 on your machine? If so what benefits have you gained and what expense ($$$) is it likely to cost?

Interesting (but not surprising) that Windows 7 has been out for some time now however our brand new Verus Pros are running XP. Also, my old Gen I Verus had the Windows auto updates turned off and when I asked tech support about it they told me to keep it that way. On the other hand my Verus Pro had them turned on and it was suggested my my local SO tech rep to turn them off for now to confirm the correct setting.

I successfully transfered my Vehicle History but I have noticed a couple of problems with it; one, the columns do not stay where they are moved to when reentering the screen and two, the Search function seems to only search by vehicle make, the drop down menu for other fields is not available. Looks like a "patch" should be forthcoming!

I plan to talk to tech support this week to find out more on both of the above and I'll report on that.

Comment

• sbreland73
                              • Jan 2009

Hi Bob, I was kinda just kidding around with the "Ultimate" I actually just traded up for the Pro. No, I don't have Win7 on there (yet), but did want to show others that it is possible. I am working on a post with all the good things I have found with the hardware and software, but mostly hardware, as Snappy appears to have relaxed on the restrictions a bit. I was still at 11.4 with my Gen I Verus, so I got to miss out on 12.2.
                              S. Breland

Comment

Working...