Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cavalier3400z
    • Dec 2015

Venus Edge Upgrade

Hi, I just purchased a versus edge, I was wondering if anyone has ever installed windows 10 on one, upgraded the hard drive, or ram. I was looking at the specs and it comes with a quad core celeron n2930 which is capable of 8GB of ram but only comes with 2GB installed, and is also a 64bit processor. I tried finding specks on the motherboard but all I find is part number Aptio CRB, I am curious what the sata speed is since it has a solids are drive but only 60GBs. On a benchmark it's capable of 283MB/s. This thing has some serious potential if it can be upgraded to windows 10 64bit, 8gb ram, and a larger Sata 6 drive doubling the speed.

Also, it ships with windows 7 embedded standard edition 32bit.
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

I would not tamper with things since it would likely void any warranty if you were to have any problems

Comment

• Cavalier3400z
      • Dec 2015

I though you mess with things while it is under warranty?

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

I'm a bottom feeder ,so most of my new sh@t for me is old sh@t already. I would love to actually see the inside of the New Verus Edge .Other than a select few in the Far East assembling new Verus Edge Tablets , you could be the very first with a how to disassemble one and upgrade the ram to 8gb video. Kinda would suck if it was all non serviceable components enclosed in a block of injected silicone rubber like a 1980's Ford ignition modules so that prying eyes would never see what it's made out of or be able to mess with it. BTW welcome to the forum Cavalier 3400Z

Comment

• Cavalier3400z
          • Dec 2015

Here is some pictures of the bios options. There are suprising a lot of bios options. Not sure about the other verus versions but in the bios this shows two ram slots. I wonder if it supports two ram sticks? I am blown away at the amount of options in the bios. I have built quite a few computers and have never seen a lot of these options.

Comment

• Cavalier3400z
            • Dec 2015

More Photos.

Comment

• Cavalier3400z
              • Dec 2015

Last of them.

Comment

• Witsend
                Banned
                • Nov 2012

Those pictures probably can be referenced in future to ensure everything gets put back to original settings before you send it out for repairs. Hmmm I notice one of the pictures show OS windows 8.x

Comment

• Cavalier3400z
                  • Dec 2015

It does say windows 8.x default. It can be changed from other versions of windows such as windows 7, windows 10, ect. It also has an option for uefi bios but it's not installed. Also the graphics boost is turned off. I did notice the bios only supports gen one or gen2 sata so for what ever reason the motherboard doesn't support gen3 sata even though it was designed this year. So I guess the speed is capped at 300MB/s which is sad. It also shows two sata ports so maybe it can fit two hard drivers?

Comment

• Cavalier3400z
                    • Dec 2015

Upon some further testing it appears the Verus Edge uses the same Bios ID 63-0100-000001-00101111-060914-chipset as the microstar MS7882, MS7885, and MS7885 x99a SLI Plus. The only difference is the Microstar Uses Intel 2F00 Rev 2 where the Edge uses Intel F00 Rev 14 chipset. Also the Verus Edge shows up as a Lenovo Laptop when looking for bios information. I wonder if it is a redesigned motherboard from a laptop. I have seen this in several computer and it usually allows bios swapping to unlock more features. Also for whatever reason snapon decided to use the 64GB ssd which read is 530MBs and 150MBs write which masses out the Sata2 bandwidth on read but not write. If they would have used the 128GB it would max out both since the write is 300MBs and also allow more free space since snapon has the drive partitioned 3 ways leaving the user with less then 20GB free. My cheap sandisk ssd maxes out the USB 3.0 bus and gives better write performance then the stock one. Also somehow snapon managed to disable installing OS through usb to a usb device. You can only install to an internal drive. I was hoping to test a newer OS without taking the edge apart.

Comment

• sbreland73
                      • Jan 2009

So have you tried it as an actual SCAN TOOL?
                      S. Breland

Comment

• Cavalier3400z
                        • Dec 2015

Yes, I have why?

Comment

• Witsend
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2012

So how does upgrading to the equivalent of a $300 Celeron Lenovo Lappy feel on the Sphincter ? Seems like something for someone with 5 years of Continually updating any platform could be a free hardware upgrade with a 2 year software subscription.
                          If you buy some current software subs for an old Max Cyst and the tablet croaks within the software sub they'll swap out the entire Max Cyst head for $300-$400.No one even bothers to take those Chinese Tablets apart, for all we know them Chinese boards could all be encased in a block of C4 and when the time is right China could kill off half our technicians.LOL
                          It's really a matter of the software and the support behind the hardware that really makes or breaks a product. What good is trying to save $6K if the stress and aggravation for someone with little patience ends up in a hospital and has to pay his $20k portion of the bill. I could troll in either direction but as far as the scope is concerned , it don't look ready to dethrone the Verus Edge yet.
                          Last edited by Witsend; 12-28-2015, 12:34 PM.

Comment

• sbreland73
                            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Cavalier3400z
                            Yes, I have why?
                            Just curious what your thoughts on the actual use as a scan-tool are. Based on your postings, it appears you are tech savvy, so your opinion(s) on the scanner and/or scope would be useful to other potential buyers of the Edge.

Thanks.
                            S. Breland

Comment

• Cavalier3400z
                              • Dec 2015

Originally posted by sbreland73
                              Just curious what your thoughts on the actual use as a scan-tool are. Based on your postings, it appears you are tech savvy, so your opinion(s) on the scanner and/or scope would be useful to other potential buyers of the Edge.

Thanks.
                              Haven't really got to mess with the scope. Waiting for accessories to come in. So far I really like having the ability to lookup up repairs and sure track right from the snanner. I had a modus ultra before this and didn't have it updated so I never got to experience the wifi capabilities.

Comment

Working...