X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scottjh9
    • Dec 2015

solus memory card

Hello all

I finally got a solus at a great price. I know they are discontinued, but for what I do it is perfect. Basically, I sold all my mt and mtg stuff and got the solus and made a tidy profit. Anyway, the only thing I am missing is a memory card for slot 2. Does the card have to be an original snap- on or will a generic 512mb cf card work? Thanks in advance. Oh, how do I change my diagnostic tool in my profile?
  • Joe Rappa
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

You only need a card in slot 2 if you plan to save stuff.
    To answer your question: A 512MB card is perfect. You don't need a Snap-on one.

Joe
    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
    Henry Ford

Comment

• scottjh9
      • Dec 2015

thanks Joe..I might save I am not sure, but for 10 bucks I can get the card

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

Still a cool tool, has OBD1 like MT2500. Hope you have no problems for a decade or more. I did like my old Solus 6.4 that I bought off Craigslist for $400 several years ago and then I bought a well equipped MT2500 for another$450 just to obtain all the Euro adapters and keys and was going to sell off the MT2500 black cartridge separate from the MT2500 with just the older red domestic and asian cartridges and probably would have got most of my $450 back. However my Solus seemed to be acting flakey and freeze up graphing 4 pids. Not sure if it was software or hardware, I got worried and bought a larger 512 MB Industrial Cisco Certified CF card and copied and pasted the contents of the original CF card, but Winblows won't transfer over some small protected files, so you / we be S.O.L-(us) without a back up pot to pee if card contents ever became corrupted. Even more now that the Solus is no longer supported by updates or repair, though I believe someone on Ebay advertises repair of Solus pretty reasonable, but not several years ago, so I sold off that old Solus and kept the older MT2500 for pre 2005 cars.
        Last edited by Witsend; 06-13-2016, 07:59 PM.

Comment

• scottjh9
          • Dec 2015

Yes there is a guy on ebay that repairs them for about 200. Funny the cf card I am looking to buy is the same exact one you described. I thought about keeping the mtg2500 and the vci that had euro and the other 2 to 2005, but I do not use the scanner enough to keep the extras. Besides for some reason mt and mtg scanners with programmable carts are hot sellers on ebay right now.

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

Probably because there are still a lot of 2005 and older cars OBD2 cars that a MT2500 is still needed to fill in some software holes of a Port Freight 08 or Maxi Cyst with older obd2b models and to basically have OBD1 coverage for ancient cars you don't see too often . If the MT2500 dies , just buy another MT2500 and snap your old cartridges,or sell your old cartridges and you still can get some $ back because they work in another MT2500 and are always worth something if software cartridges can be swapped, bought, and sold for decades.That is built in value, sorta like a solid oak table that can be handed down a coupe generations, not something like a pretty looking saw dust particle board entertainment center the wife screams at you to put to the curb or a busted Plastic HF mechanics creeper that seemed like a good idea at the time that no one be able to use anymore.

Comment

• scottjh9
              • Dec 2015

yeah I agree completely. I am one that hesitates to get rid of well-built and/or paid for stuff, especially tools. Still have some of my dad's snap on hand tools from the sixties. Even have some plomb tools. They are sweet.

Comment

Working...