Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pythagorous
    • Mar 2017

Souls Edge 15.2 - cannot run injector balance test

I've got a 2007 Equinox with a 3.4 V6, tried to run an injector balance test for a P0300, I'm getting an error from the scan tool saying "Fuel Enable Flag Not Set by Theft Deterrent System", I called SnapOn and asked if they had any ideas, they only suggested turning on the ignition and waiting for at least a minute before connecting the scan tool but that did not help.

The car starts and runs, so there is no problem with security that I can tell. The BCM was replaced about two months ago, I don't have Jbox yet so I could not program it, I farmed it out and had it replaced and programmed... perhaps they missed something or it's unrelated but I thought it worth mentioning.

One more thing, I am getting a no comm from both the Heated Seat and Rollover module, it doesn't even have heated seats, there is no Rollover Module according to the location shown in Mitchell and GM TDS Service Manual, getting no module data from the Instrument Panel Cluster but it is communicating as I can run functional tests.

Anyone else having these issues with a Solus Edge and this era Equinox(es)?

Thanks in advance,
    Gary
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Equinox ,You would think working on a Buick Rendezvous might be as Equally obnoxiously Noxious.

Comment

• Glide
      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Pythagorous
      I've got a 2007 Equinox with a 3.4 V6, tried to run an injector balance test for a P0300, I'm getting an error from the scan tool saying "Fuel Enable Flag Not Set by Theft Deterrent System", I called SnapOn and asked if they had any ideas, they only suggested turning on the ignition and waiting for at least a minute before connecting the scan tool but that did not help.

The car starts and runs, so there is no problem with security that I can tell. The BCM was replaced about two months ago, I don't have Jbox yet so I could not program it, I farmed it out and had it replaced and programmed... perhaps they missed something or it's unrelated but I thought it worth mentioning.

One more thing, I am getting a no comm from both the Heated Seat and Rollover module, it doesn't even have heated seats, there is no Rollover Module according to the location shown in Mitchell and GM TDS Service Manual, getting no module data from the Instrument Panel Cluster but it is communicating as I can run functional tests.

Anyone else having these issues with a Solus Edge and this era Equinox(es)?

Thanks in advance,
      Gary
      Are you trying to run injector balance with the engine running?
      How much pressure are you seeing on your fuel pressure gauge?
      Last edited by Glide; 03-25-2017, 01:54 PM.

Comment

• Pythagorous
        • Mar 2017

No, the engine is not running. I am trying to run the test KOEO, 55 psi after the pump primes.

Comment

• Glide
          • Jan 2015

That's very strange.Do you have a buddy with a different scanner that you could try?I have had a few bugs with my solus ultra,luckily I have other scan tools so I can tell if it is actually an issue with the tool.
          As far as your P0300,which cylinders are showing misfires in misfire history? If its all cylinders I'd look for a vacuum leak where the pcv vent goes into the rear valve cover.If it's not all cylinders I'd check secondary ignition,coils, plugs,wires.Injector issues aren't very common on these vehicles.

Comment

• Pythagorous
            • Mar 2017

Unfortunately, I do not. I am trying to buy a Cardaq-Plus 2 because the Passenger Presence Module preload seems to be messed up, it is not turning the airbag on, the scan tool shows "Small 1" with me in the seat, I weight about 150, with a 5 gallon jug of water in my lap it shows "Small 2". My scan tool tells me that the module is locked so I cannot run the routine to re-zero the sensors. I need the Jbox to unlock the module if I understand correctly from Mitchell (I think I saw it there too) and TDS. Scan tool shows "No" I believe it is for the 4 preloads, which I understand it what I want to see.

So, once I get the Jbox I was planning on trying to see if I can figure out Tech2Win and run the injector balance test from there.

Yes, the misfires are on all cylinders, but primarily Cylinders 2 and 5, 2 is the worst. I have looked at secondary ignition with a Pico, and primary current, can't do primary voltage, sounds like you know these vehicles very well, so you already know this.

I disconnected the battery and then the ECM and identified the sockets for the injectors, I used a test light that I have the ability to replace the bulb with a little glass fuse and primed the pump, waited for it to bleed to 50 psi and then ran my OTC buzzbox, each injector dropped to 34, exactly. So, as you predicted, the injectors are not at fault. I do want to know if my scan tool is messed up though.

But if I may go a bit further with the misfire theme, I added propane till my two torch bottles got too cold do do any good, I wish I had timed it, but maybe a minute, the STFT drove right down to -32 but the LTFT never adjusted at all, both O2s showed full rich conditions. I switched to a vacuum leak and the STFT went to 32 in a few seconds but the LTFT started adjusting at 22.

Given the fact that the BCM was jacked up to the point of having to be replaced, the PPS is screwed up, I've seen some really strange behavior in the misfire data and now this lack of LTFT response I am wondering if the ECM is not responding correctly.

Thanks you for your help, I really appreciate it. I just don't know where to turn with this thing. Ah, one more thing worth mentioning, it ONLY misfires at idle, the instant that I tip in on the throttle, the fuel cell changes and the misfires go away, it never misfires while driving, it is getting pretty crummy gas mileage at 13.5 highway. -that was more that one thing, sorry.

Gary

Comment

• Glide
              • Jan 2015

The passenger presence modules on these vehicles are also known to fail.Some were covered by a recall in the US only.
              Back to P0300,are there any other codes at all?
              #2 and #5 share the same coil,remove the plug wires from that coil and check for corrosion on the coil towers and inside the plug wire boots.
              Spray water on the wires with the engine running to see if spark jumps
              Remove 2 and 5 spark plugs and check for carbon tracks on the porcelain.

Comment

• Pythagorous
                • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Glide
                The passenger presence modules on these vehicles are also known to fail.Some were covered by a recall in the US only.
                Back to P0300,are there any other codes at all?
                #2 and #5 share the same coil,remove the plug wires from that coil and check for corrosion on the coil towers and inside the plug wire boots.
                Spray water on the wires with the engine running to see if spark jumps
                Remove 2 and 5 spark plugs and check for carbon tracks on the porcelain.
                Thanks, sounds like I may need a passenger presence module. I don't think I saw a recall on that one but I will look again.

No other engine codes, I changed plugs and wires late last fall when I saw the first P0300, at that point I didn't have the Solus yet only a little Actron. I did a water test Friday primarily listening for vacuum leaks but also for the ignition and did not see nor hear anything and I was watching the Misfire Data all the while.

I switched plug wires on #2 and #4 just the same but it didn't move, still #2. I am loathe to just change parts but I bit the bullet and bought an ICM for it because I am new to looking at secondary ignition waveforms. As I'm sure you know, on this vehicle it has all three coils and the control module integrated. I've heard them called "cassettes". I didn't think it was bad, it wasn't but it wasn't terribly expensive. I also changed the upstream O2 sensor because I know most of the history on this car, it was OE, so were the back three plugs and wires, by the way. I guess it was just too much effort to change those for someone.

I had the front three plugs out last week and looked them over, they all look great. The only thing I saw that seemed odd is the tip of the insulator on #2 seemed to have an orange-ish tinge. Someone had mentioned the possibility of coolant leaking in under a hot soak. But, the coolant is not getting low, I checked it anyway for coolant in the cylinder after a hot soak, there wasn't any. So I may have just been being overly critical.

The one non-ECM code that keeps coming up is a no comm to the Power Steering U0131 and it is there currently, but just now I ran a code scan and I only have 9 systems detected, there are usually 13, the Power Steering, Radio, Theft Deterrent and TPMS did not respond it seems. I see this frequently, I think these are on the Low Speed LAN, maybe. There is a P1779 Torque Delivered Signal from the TCM; never seen that before. ABS has a C0561 System Disabled Information Stored Invalid Serial Data Received (Symptom 71); haven't seen this before either.

Gary

Comment

• Pythagorous
                  • Mar 2017

I was wrong, there is a recall...

August 7, 2007 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 07V344000
                  FMVSS 208/SEAT SENSOR CALIBRATION/AIRBAG
                  WHENEVER THE FRONT PASSENGER SEAT IS OCCUPIED, THE DRIVER SHOULD ALWAYS CHECK THE AIRBAG INDICATOR TO SEE IF THE AIRBAG IS ON OR OFF. IF IT IS NOT CORRECT FOR THE SITUATION, THE PASSENGER SHOULD BE MOVED TO A DIFFERENT SEAT. THIS CAN INCREASE THE RISK OF INJURY TO A SEAT OCCUPANT DURING CERTAIN CRASH CONDITIONS.
                  Yes there is... I had checked on safercar.gov because I get an error when I use the VIN on NHTSA's website, nothing was coming up. But I tried searching by year/make/model on NHTSA and found 4, the above is from there. How can I tell if this car has been repaired under the recall?

I just pulled #2 and #5 plugs, the boots nor the insulators showed any carbon tracking. I also checked the pcv vent for a vacuum leak at the rear valve cover, I checked the front too. I used both water and propane but I did not find a leak.
                  Last edited by Pythagorous; 03-26-2017, 12:37 PM. Reason: new information

Comment

• Glide
                    • Jan 2015

[QUOTE=Pythagorous;56339]How can I tell if this car has been repaired under the recall?QUOTE]

Call your local GM dealer,give their service department your VIN and mileage and they can check if the recall applies to this vehicle.
                    Physically check #2 plug wire for any place that it may have rubbed through on the engine.
                    Try swapping 3-6 and 2-5 coils and see if the miss moves to 3-6.You can check the secondary side of the coils with a ohmmeter across the towers should measure 5000 to 8000 ohms.
                    You could also swap 2 and 4 spark plugs just to be sure that it isn't a bad plug.

Comment

• Pythagorous
                      • Mar 2017

I swapped #2 and #4 plugs, I'll see how it does tomorrow. I swapped #2 and #4 plug wires last week and it made no difference so the plug wires are ok. I cannot swap the coils, they are all in one module, I attached a picture of them.
                      The resistance on them is 9,700 ohms, I compared that to the original coils and they are 10,200 ohms. For this type of coil Mitchell is showing 7,000 to 15,000 ohms for a spec so each is within limits.

I sure appreciate your help, this has been a tough one.

Gary
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Witsend
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2012

That Siamese d coil and module assembly looks like another expensive failure prone ignition part to join the Club of Shame and Blame with Vortec distributor caps and Quad 4 coil housings. I mean having the appearance look nice and organized with the wires , towers, internal 50K Volt secondary circuit pathways snaking through plastic less than a quarter inch apart, is a recipe for failure IMO.

Comment

• Pythagorous
                          • Mar 2017

Yeah, it sure sucks that we lose the "Swaptronics" testing tool too...

Comment

• Glide
                            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Pythagorous
                            I swapped #2 and #4 plugs, I'll see how it does tomorrow. I swapped #2 and #4 plug wires last week and it made no difference so the plug wires are ok. I cannot swap the coils, they are all in one module, I attached a picture of them.
                            The resistance on them is 9,700 ohms, I compared that to the original coils and they are 10,200 ohms. For this type of coil Mitchell is showing 7,000 to 15,000 ohms for a spec so each is within limits.

I sure appreciate your help, this has been a tough one.

Gary
                            So you're saying that across 2-5 it's 9700 and 1-4,3-6 are 10,200? I'd forgotten that they changed to the one piece module that long ago.
                            The reason for the spread in the resistance spec is that resistance is temperature dependant. As temp goes up so does resistance.A coil with low output will normally read lower resistance,a coil with a dead wire or spark plug on it will normally read higher.
                            If swapping the spark plugs makes no difference,check compression and compare to a good cylinder.If that's OK it's gotta be the coil pack.In the end that's the main connection between 2-5.

Comment

• Crusty
                              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Glide
                              So you're saying that across 2-5 it's 9700 and 1-4,3-6 are 10,200? I'd forgotten that they changed to the one piece module that long ago.
                              The reason for the spread in the resistance spec is that resistance is temperature dependant. As temp goes up so does resistance.A coil with low output will normally read lower resistance,a coil with a dead wire or spark plug on it will normally read higher.
                              If swapping the spark plugs makes no difference,check compression and compare to a good cylinder.If that's OK it's gotta be the coil pack.In the end that's the main connection between 2-5.
                              I'd suggest pulling out the old faithfull ST-125 spark tester before "swapping" spark plugs.....

Comment

Working...