Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tdellingner
    • Jul 2008

Disappointed and now stuck with it!

Why is the Verus running on windows sp2? Sp3 has been out for a while now. try to go to windows update and it will not let me. Same with microsoft update. it says something like your network does not allow this.Tryed again at home and same thing. Also can not run a defrag on hard drive. it says that chkdsk /f is scheduled to run. i can not find anywhere where chkdsk is scheduled. this thing is severely needing some RAM, 500mb is barely enough to run XP let alone the diagnostic suite. Every time i hook it to a Chrysler product and it goes into auto ID the suite locks up. when i print a worksheet there is no place to enter things like RO# Etc. Etc. The dual screen thing is very misleading, you can only get a second screen if you go into component testing,and then go back to the scanner.then you only get 2 traces. will NOT do 4 channel lab scope and scanner at the same time. was looking at a MAF on a gm and wanted to change the sweep and everything was grayed out. had to restart the lap scope part every time i wanted to change the sweep. alot of other things wrong with it but can't remember them right now. The snap on tech guy stopped by after i got it and he could not answer a single question that i had. I Knew i should have waited awhile before trading in my Modis.
  • kebo1970
    • Nov 2008

not trying to be funny; what was wrong with the modis? i was thinking of getting one after my updates for the brick play out.

Comment

• phill57
      • Oct 2007

Dissapointed with Verus

Hello.

I agree with you on a few points. I too am somewhat dissapointed with the capabilities as they are now. I have made several suggestions for improvements and functionality. Have you installed the service pack? It did help with a few issues.

I noticed the issue with the "split screen" capabilities. It only works if you use the component test procedure and load a multimeter that way. The video of this capability is misleading. I also complained about the fact that if you load a multimeter or scope and customize the settings, these all revert to the default settings when you shut it down and return.

With the service pack release you have the option to select the Mitchell On Demand 5 site for information but if you do this while in scanner or multimeter/scope mode, that function shuts down as you connect to the internet. You can obviously work around this by opening the web site with internet explorer and navigating there first and then minimizing it to restore it later. In my opinion, you should be able to choose other information providers. I noticed that the Hyperlinks from the Troubleshooter screens that are supposed to take you directly to the information system do not work if you choose the On Demand 5 site. I prefer Alldata over Mitchell for the greater detail myself.

After using this tool for a while, it gets much better as you will figure out what you can and can't do. I too had a Modis and I still prefer the scope capabilities and bi-directional capabilities of the scanner over those of the Verus. The refresh rate of the data, especially on Chrysler and Fords is much faster with the Modis. The Verus does not allow you to zoom in or out on a multimeter or labcope capture and the cursors do not display the values as the Modis or Solus Pro do.

The Ohmmeter is very slow to refresh, especially if you use the autorange feature and it does not graph either. I see that with the 8.4 software release in the Vantage Pro that the ability to graph resistance is back as it should be. The Modis did not grapgh resistance either but i am not sure about the 8.4 update.

In defense of the Verus though, just remember this is the first release of the software and it should only get better with future updates/service releases. I keep saying remember the version 1 Vantage? It will be interresting to see how Snap-On deals with the cost of this.

There are a number of hardware shortfalls that could be better but I guess we will have to wait for the Verus Platinum. 8-)

Comment

• tdellingner
        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by kebo1970
        not trying to be funny; what was wrong with the modis? i was thinking of getting one after my updates for the brick play out.
        Nothing was wrong with the modis, it did what it was made to do...well most of the time. I was merely upgrading to the latest and "greatest"? Everything in the car business is going to PC based, since the verus is supposed to be PC based I went with it. Little did i know that the advertisments were a little misleading. I now wish i would of kept my modis for a little while longer and let someone else be the guinea pig.

Comment

• tdellingner
          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by phill57
          Have you installed the service pack?
          Yes I Have The SP1 Installed, It did help it boot a little faster, other than that i haven't come across any other fixes or improvments that i have seen.

I noticed the issue with the "split screen" capabilities. It only works if you use the component test procedure and load a multimeter that way. The video of this capability is misleading. I also complained about the fact that if you load a multimeter or scope and customize the settings, these all revert to the default settings when you shut it down and return.
          The "split screen" cause and effect was the determining factor that made me go ahead and get the verus. And now that I have one, Im "P.O'ed"! That advertisement is very misleading.

With the service pack release you have the option to select the Mitchell On Demand 5 site for information but if you do this while in scanner or multimeter/scope mode, that function shuts down as you connect to the internet. You can obviously work around this by opening the web site with internet explorer and navigating there first and then minimizing it to restore it later. In my opinion, you should be able to choose other information providers. I noticed that the Hyperlinks from the Troubleshooter screens that are supposed to take you directly to the information system do not work if you choose the On Demand 5 site. I prefer Alldata over Mitchell for the greater detail myself.
          I haven't used that part of it yet. We are on the DVD thing from Alldata because we can not get broadband at the shop. Right now i use my cell phone Via bluetooth to access the Web. I also prefer Alldata.

In defense of the Verus though, just remember this is the first release of the software and it should only get better with future updates/service releases. I keep saying remember the version 1 Vantage? It will be interresting to see how Snap-On deals with the cost of this.
          Yeah Paying for fixes to existing coverage instead of paying for new coverage, this just doesn't seem right does it? The tool should do what they say it will do. If it doesn't then it should be a free update not part of a "NEW" release. I.E. 8.2 , 8.4

There are a number of hardware shortfalls that could be better but I guess we will have to wait for the Verus Platinum. 8-)
          I just hope the upgrade to better hardware doesn't go like the modis hardware upgrades did. got very expensive.

Comment

• kebo1970
            • Nov 2008

one thing you have to beware of is the all in one tool. my biggest reason for not getting a modis was that if it malfunctioned i would be powerless. the same for the verus. all in one tools don't work as well as if you buy individual tools(scanner,vantage pro,laptop,alldata or shopkey). buying a back-up scanner is no longer cheap nor is it in most cases the real thing as far as capabilities. i'm in the mobile diagnostic business and can't afford to have tools that work almost like their supposed to. thank you! you helped me make my next purchase a solus or a solus pro. will not be looking at a verus anytime soon or modis.

Comment

• No-Start
              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by tdellingner
              The dual screen thing is very misleading, you can only get a second screen if you go into component testing,and then go back to the scanner.then you only get 2 traces. will NOT do 4 channel lab scope and scanner at the same time.
              If you load in the multimeter, you will have 2 channels. If you load in the labscope, you will have 4 channels. You CAN do the labscope and scanner at the same time.

Originally posted by tdellingner
              was looking at a MAF on a gm and wanted to change the sweep and everything was grayed out. had to restart the lap scope part every time i wanted to change the sweep.
              Sounds to me that the labscope was paused, which would not allow you to change the sweep. The labscope has to be running in order to change the timebase, that is normal.

No-Start.

Comment

• sdlindsey
                • Mar 2008

Originally posted by No-Start
                Sounds to me that the labscope was paused, which would not allow you to change the sweep. The labscope has to be running in order to change the timebase, that is normal.
                That is what I suspect, as well. The first time I paused the scope and then hit the play button, which I thought would resume operation, I experienced the same issue. It took me a bit to realize I was watching the same captured data -- and that I had to hit the little red record button to resume the live data.

I suspect many of the issues people are having could be related to unfamiliarity with the new interface. I ran into quite a few issues that once I poked around I discovered were just a matter of how I was using the tool.

I'm not saying the tool is perfect, I'm just saying that there may be "growing pains" when learning the new interface style.

Comment

• eddiesverus
                  • Dec 2008

Disapointed as well

I just Got this new Verus, I noticed as soon as I started to use it that I has a stuck or dead pixel right in the middle of the screen. I noticed that the lab scope is not working properly at times as well, it would not initialize when opened. I Called tech support for this matter, sent Verus in for repairs and I recived it back the same way, still dead pixel and scope problems, all they did was reformat the hard drive and reload the software. I am very disapointed in this purchase, I wish I never traded in my MODIS. Well I sent it back this 2nd time and I am still waiting for it, hopefully They get it done right. I will let you know Now also for the good side about it, I did find lots of usefull features about it. WinXP let me load all my other software I use on my laptop. for expample I have a Ford NGS PC scanner that I run on Ford using a USB VCI. I also have ATS E-Scan using a bluetooth conection. and I am able to run my I-Flash and Mastertech VCI to reflash PCM's and as well as GM MDI using. Using the Verus as a single platform to use all these tools was a big plus in buying this tool. I do however wished it had more memory and a faster CPU such as Intel Centrino or so. this would make this tool Rock. I hope that they let us add more memory and or upgrade this cheep old 600mhz CPU.
                  Hard Work, commitment, Honesty and not giving up is what Makes us better Tech's

Comment

• jandwauto
                    • Nov 2008

600mhz

I must agree that using a 600mhz procesor,500mb ram inold stuff. I wonder do these guys still bang 2 rocks together to start a fire. VERY DISAPPONINTED. I am currently stopping payments until unit is what they say it is.

Comment

• eddiesverus
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by eddiesverus
                      I just Got this new Verus, I noticed as soon as I started to use it that I has a stuck or dead pixel right in the middle of the screen. I noticed that the lab scope is not working properly at times as well, it would not initialize when opened. I Called tech support for this matter, sent Verus in for repairs and I recived it back the same way, still dead pixel and scope problems, all they did was reformat the hard drive and reload the software. I am very disapointed in this purchase, I wish I never traded in my MODIS. Well I sent it back this 2nd time and I am still waiting for it, hopefully They get it done right. I will let you know:mad :
                      Well I recived my verus back this week, i found its working good, they replaced the mainboard and it seems like they took care of scope problem. i also found the dead pixel has been fixed. I've reinstalled all my programs, E-scan, Bosch ShopforemanPro, and NGS PC. It is working fine, but I'm still upset due to the slow speed of the verus. I think that this tool will be fine once they fix all the current bugs. and upgrade the CPU to a faster one. If you are thinking about buying a verus and you have no patiance I recommend you wait. meanwhile the modis is you best bet..
                      Hard Work, commitment, Honesty and not giving up is what Makes us better Tech's

Comment

• badme
                        • Mar 2008

Originally posted by eddiesverus
                        Well I recived my verus back this week, i found its working good, they replaced the mainboard and it seems like they took care of scope problem. i also found the dead pixel has been fixed. I've reinstalled all my programs, E-scan, Bosch ShopforemanPro, and NGS PC. It is working fine, but I'm still upset due to the slow speed of the verus. I think that this tool will be fine once they fix all the current bugs. and upgrade the CPU to a faster one. If you are thinking about buying a verus and you have no patiance I recommend you wait. meanwhile the modis is you best bet..
                        Fixing bugs and upgrading the CPU to a faster one would be great if Snap-on picked up the tab. They never have picked up the tab and never will. They should make this stuff work before they release it. The Modis was the same way, the early ones were a piece of **** and after many of my dollars for updates it is a pretty good tool now.

Comment

Working...