X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sparkey
    • Nov 2008

Verus & Other Built In Features

OK, I have been wondering this for a long time now and not seeing any other
    post on this, well... Knowing Snap-On is to be the leader in top of the line scan
    tools and such. Well, I have been wondering WHY other scan
    tool companies have built-in J2534 Pass-Thru - the (-NO-) Need For Personality
    Keys - built-in wireless communication with vehicle up to 30 feet or so using
    NO Cable connection & the freedom to move where you want in your shop with the
    scan too. I would have thought that Snap-On would have built these features
    into the new VERUS, isn't this suppose to be Snap-On's ultimate in MULTITASKING
    scan tool??

Far as I know, I read somewhere that the VERUS already has the J2534 software
    built in and the cd/dvd that comes with the J2534 Pass-Thru will not be need for
    installation purposes, more like plug'n play.

Since I have not used these other scan tools, do they or do they not work that
    well with this type of built-in technology?

Any Other Thoughts?

Thanks!
  • KM@PROAUTOTECH
    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Sparkey
    OK, I have been wondering this for a long time now and not seeing any other
    post on this, well... Knowing Snap-On is to be the leader in top of the line scan
    tools and such. Well, I have been wondering WHY other scan
    tool companies have built-in J2534 Pass-Thru - the (-NO-) Need For Personality
    Keys - built-in wireless communication with vehicle up to 30 feet or so using
    NO Cable connection & the freedom to move where you want in your shop with the
    scan too. I would have thought that Snap-On would have built these features
    into the new VERUS, isn't this suppose to be Snap-On's ultimate in MULTITASKING
    scan tool??

Far as I know, I read somewhere that the VERUS already has the J2534 software
    built in and the cd/dvd that comes with the J2534 Pass-Thru will not be need for
    installation purposes, more like plug'n play.

Since I have not used these other scan tools, do they or do they not work that
    well with this type of built-in technology?

Any Other Thoughts?

Thanks!
    I have used these "other scan-tools" granted in test models. One unit the wirless worked well, the other was a disaster. I think of my blue tooth cell phone and the connectivity problems with that, I would like something a little more reliable when it comes to scan tool data.

As far as J-2534 flashing, I have mixed feelings. If you only have one(1) scan-tool(which I have several) and you are tied up on a flash that goes longer than you think, you might be happy that you have an alternative way of flashing.

Rumor has it, Snap On is a step closer to doing something with the personality keys, but I always like to see it for myself.

Comment

• Sparkey
      • Nov 2008

As far as J-2534 flashing, I have mixed feelings. If you only have one(1) scan-tool(which I have several) and you are tied up on a flash that goes longer than you think, you might be happy that you have an alternative way of flashing.

This might be the reason they see NO need to incorporate the J2534 into the a scan tool. I have never used one and did not know it took such a long time to program a module.

Rumor has it, Snap On is a step closer to doing something with the personality keys, but I always like to see it for myself.[/QUOTE]

I'm using a Verus at the moment on a trail basis and I mention today, to out S.O. tool person, about the personality keys... they were surprise the Verus had P.Keys with it... So this might be something they plan to do in the near future... it would be nice!

thanks for the info!

Comment

• kebo1970
        • Nov 2008

a programmer in a scan tool would only slow you down; its not as quick and easy as you may think. what happens when a walk in diagnostic comes and your scanner,scope and laptop(verus) are stuck programming? the oe scan tool is faster, but is limited to certain makes. snap on covers a lot of different makes. its not easy trying to cram all that info into a box. is it really a big deal to walk 30 feet away from a vehicle and still scan it. will that help you fix more cars? i hope were talking about fixing more cars and not more toys. not trying to be a smart a**.

Comment

• Crusty
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by kebo1970
          a programmer in a scan tool would only slow you down; its not as quick and easy as you may think. what happens when a walk in diagnostic comes and your scanner,scope and laptop(verus) are stuck programming? the oe scan tool is faster, but is limited to certain makes. snap on covers a lot of different makes. its not easy trying to cram all that info into a box. is it really a big deal to walk 30 feet away from a vehicle and still scan it. will that help you fix more cars? i hope were talking about fixing more cars and not more toys. not trying to be a smart a**.
          Personally I Agree. The real issue of ANY piece of equipment is how well it works. Too many bells-&-whistles that only function partially isn't my idea of a good investment.
          As to fixing more cars, how about fixing FEWER but ACCURATELY AND CORRECTLY. I can't count the number of times people have brought in vehicles that have been bubble-gummed & patched but not really "fixed". It ends up costing them more money & more headaches, let alone the safety of crud repairs.

Sometimes the slower you pedal, the faster you go-!

Have a Happy-New-Year-!

Comment

• kebo1970
            • Nov 2008

hey crusty i know what u mean. how many times have u seen the guy with the biggest tool box and all the bells and whistles have more comebacks because he does'nt know how to use any of his equipment. he has all the ASE patches, but can't fix real world problems. I call 'em test takers; not techs.

Comment

• Chuckie_c
              • Dec 2008

hey crusty i know what u mean. how many times have u seen the guy with the biggest tool box and all the bells and whistles have more comebacks because he doesn't know how to use any of his equipment. he has all the ASE patches, but can't fix real world problems. I call 'em test takers; not techs.
              I agree with not having one tool for all. Example I have a Tough Book C-30 120 GB HHD laptop with Autotap V3.1 Live Software & bluetooth hardware for all OBD II & up, and a HP Officejet H 470 printer. Also all of my Diagnostics specs & wiring diagrams on hard drive as Autodata IS-3, MPC Smartspecs to name a few. Plus my AT&T Lapconnect to connect to Idenifix On-line, I-ATN, Shopstream Connect (needs to be live data) plus a few OEM sites. Then a Solus with 8.2 software to scan and run bi-directional tests. A Vantage Pro for sensor, coils, fuel pumps, etc. testing. And its all in a 7 drawer deep Cornwell roll around set up as a Mobile Diagnostics Platform Cart. All in one place, or use on three seperate vehicles. Equipment cost around $ 10,000.00 w/software and on-line costs per month around $ 210.00. I charge a basic diagnostic scanner / labscope fee, and a Information access fee per vehicle on code/no code drivability or wiring problems. That amounts to 2 hour tech time, which more then pays for my monthly on-line charges. In closing as a drivability/emission tech this works best for me. If one gos down, I can still do my job. Hope this helps !! 2009 will be for the used car repair techs, its going to get busy. Charlie
              Last edited by Chuckie_c; 01-01-2009, 06:43 PM.

Comment

• Crusty
                • Dec 2007

hey crusty i know what u mean. how many times have u seen the guy with the biggest tool box and all the bells and whistles have more comebacks because he does'nt know how to use any of his equipment. he has all the ASE patches, but can't fix real world problems. I call 'em test takers; not techs.
                We don't have ASE up here. In Canada it's an apprenticeship and and C-of-Q license. That means 10,000-hrs and now you're qualified to start making mistakes and learning. I learn something new every day (even after 30+ years). I've tried really-really hard to not make the mistakes (LOL) but we all do. I just don't let 'em out the door. You double check and triple check your work before you ask the guy on the other side of the counter for his peanuts.
                It's an old-school philosophy. Do one thing. Do it right. Next item. That way there's no looking backwards.
                2 days ago I put a reputable name rebuilt alternator on a truck. Yup, it was now charging but the warning indicator was still "on" (WTF?).
                BACK TO BASICS. Retest the system and guess what. The new rebuild was defective right out of the box-! 2nd alternator and problem solved. The customer was happy as hell that I wasn't going to let him drive off with a charging system only PARTIALLY fixed.
                Bells, whistles, googahs and WOW doesn't fix cars and it sure doesn't improve the reputation of our industry if we make a wrong diagnosis due to the equipment either not being used properly or it doesn't function properly in the first place.
                The rebuilder is gonna get a bill 'cause the job didn't even make it off the hoist-!! IF the Alt had worked properly then crapped out 4 months later that's another issue BUT.. it wasn't correct right out of the box-!
                Follow the money.... THAT's where the responsibilty lays.
                Same issue goes for every product ever sold, refrigerators, TV's, laptops, even OUR WORK sold to the public.... scanners and labscopes included.
                JMHO

Comment

Working...