Just upgraded to "SSD" Solid State hard drive , Much Faster!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JOHNBOY1105
    • Jan 2010

Just upgraded to "SSD" Solid State hard drive , Much Faster!

I had already upgraded my memory but i wanted a faster scanner, I got tired of long boot up time.
    So figured i would try an SSD hard drive since there is no moving parts (no disk to spin up to speed before it starts reading) I purchased a new Corsair 60GB SSD hard drive "285MB read speed 275MB write speed "
    the higher both numbers are the better! its fairly new technology so its more expensive than a regular hard drive.
    ($150.00 for this one at Fry's)
    You can go bigger but i didnt need bigger I wanted faster!
    I dont have a lot of applications on it except Ford ids and Vetronics J-2534 programer.
    Let me tell you Its fast... at everthing. Much faster bootup time than before. Internet is faster than shop computers over LAN cable and im on wireless network!!! Granted i have a fast wireless router (Netgear WNDR3700)
    I am very pleased with the speed, its much faster!

things you will need:
    -computer with 2 extra sata ports
    -some kind of cloning software i used Norton Ghost 15.0

If you try this dont forget to "initialize" the new drive because windows wont recognize it . to do this click on "start" menu go to my computer right click then click on "Manage" then click disk managment the new hard drive wont show up in the top box since it doesnt have a "drive" letter asigned to it yet, you need to do that on the lower box . why am i telling you this ?
    because i did a lot if reading on the internet to figure out why it wouldnt show up when i plugged it into my desktop sata port .( I thought i had a Dead hard drive)

John
  • phill57
    • Oct 2007

Ssd Hd

That's Great!

I have been following them for awhile. I wonder what the bigest available is now and how their power requirements compare to the original drive. I was also under the impression the SSD required a faster processor and more RAM.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
      Snap-on DSD
      • Aug 2007

Hi John,
      That's a great upgrade.
      Thanks for taking the time to post it.
      Joe
      "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
      Henry Ford

Comment

• JOHNBOY1105
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by phill57
        That's Great!

I have been following them for awhile. I wonder what the bigest available is now and how their power requirements compare to the original drive. I was also under the impression the SSD required a faster processor and more RAM.
        Hey Phill
        The largest i have seen is 256GB granted it $700.00
        most people that use an SSD drive use it strictly to load opperating systems and application programs (smaller faster drive) then they have an extra drive for data.
        as far as power, they use less power (battery last longer between charges)
        They dont need extra ram or processing power as long as it has a SATA port as far as i know...
        If anything the PC you install an SSD drive gets faster
        John

Comment

• tdellingner
          • Jul 2008

I just upgraded my Verus as well. I went with a Corsair Force CSSD-F80GBP2-BRKT 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD). I also upgraded my ram at the same time with a CORSAIR 1GB 200-Pin DDR SO-DIMM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Laptop Memory Model VS1GSDS400. I used Acronis Easy Migrate 7.0 to clone the original drive. All is looking much faster at this point. Original boot time from off to diagnostic suite up and running with OEM parts was about 2 minutes and 20 seconds. Now it is about 1 minute and 25 seconds. Everything is faster, now if i could just find a processor fan to replace the noisy oem one that is about to fail......

Comment

• jm43130
            • Apr 2008

Could You Please Go Into More Detail About Ssd Swap. I Have Installed 1 Gb Ram, There Was Another Post With Pictures And Whole Procedure About Doing This. I Would Like To Try This, But A Little Nrevous Without A Little More Info.

Comment

• tdellingner
              • Jul 2008

ok now the noisey fan is taken care of.....modified the heat sink and installed a 60mm X 10mm fan.....much cooler now.....maybe this will help with the battery not charging thing? off to download service pack 3.....wish me luck....

Comment

• kebo1970
                • Nov 2008

inside the verus

Originally posted by jm43130
                Could You Please Go Into More Detail About Ssd Swap. I Have Installed 1 Gb Ram, There Was Another Post With Pictures And Whole Procedure About Doing This. I Would Like To Try This, But A Little Nrevous Without A Little More Info.
                if you go to the verus user forum and look for a post called (CSI INSIDE THE VERUS) by BILLCMAT on 05-04-2010 you will find details with pictures.

Comment

• normmechanic
                  • May 2010

netgear router

I am just curious are you using a usb wireless n adaptor or using wireless g inside of the verus

Comment

• goop
                    • Jun 2009

what a difference just got done installing my new hard drive last night. the hard drive is easier than the ram to replace. i went with the corsair 80 gig force h.d. the cloning process was easy and works flawless. very happy with the outcome.

Comment

• jd68
                      • Oct 2009

Just installed OCZ vertex2 90 gig. Smokin fast!

Comment

• rick d
                        • Jan 2010

ssd problems

I was just wondering if anyone has run into this.

I updated my verus with 1 gig ram without a hitch.Works perfectly.So I thought I would try the ss hard drive.Went with the 80 gig corsair and it worked fine at first,But after about 7 boots I loose hard drive activity(no flashing hd light) and It wont boot past the verus screen.Reimaged again and same thing,this time it makes it past the first screen but then black screen with Nt failure message.it wont do anything past that.Ok,one more try and this time it does better but after about 9 boots I got a system restore error message when turning off and not bootable again.Tried a different sshd,same thing.I do use the Verus on a dedicated stand with the snap on hub\charger,a mouse and keyboard.I thing the hub is robbing power from the hard drive.Seems to do ok when powered normally but will crash with the hub.After about 5 tries old drive is back in and all is well.Any Ideas?

Comment

• sbreland73
                          • Jan 2009

@ Rick D,

Are you shutting down, or using hibernate? I have found using hibernate for about a week I will come to work, fire up the Verus, and get the same "black screen". I restart, get a message "Windows failed to load, delete restoration data file?, or continue to load". I have a 160GB Seagate HDD. I have been wary of slapping a SSD in because of all the writes the SO software does when viewing live data, or using the scope. I am in agreement that SSDs are much faster, but Windows XP does not support TRIM, sector alignment is not naitive for SSDs, and the SSD will become worn over time. .
                          Last edited by sbreland73; 01-10-2011, 07:34 AM.
                          S. Breland

Comment

• jd68
                            • Oct 2009

Hey rick. I had that happen to me once the other day. I formatted my ssd and re-cloned it and it is fine now. I have an OCZ vertex2 90gig. I played around a bit and loaded sp3, ids, all kinds of junk on it just to see what would happen. I didnt have a problem until I removed verus server from start up. I went ahead and restarted and it got stuck on the verus screen with no blinky from hd light. Tried restore yada yada, F8. No go. I re-cloned and removed verus server from start up and no problems so far. Oh, I took verus server off start up because ever since I updated to 10.4 I've been getting a fault message on start up saying that v.s. can not start because it is missing a file. My guess is the license. It was annoying. My SO dis. did not shut off the old sw correctly for the 10.4 atlas sw.

I have my original drive sitting on the side. The day before I updated I did a system restore. I did the update, then cloned the drive. Thought it would be a good idea to have a clean slate on hand just in case I have to re-clone.

Comment

• tdellingner
                              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by rick d
                              I was just wondering if anyone has run into this.

I updated my verus with 1 gig ram without a hitch.Works perfectly.So I thought I would try the ss hard drive.Went with the 80 gig corsair and it worked fine at first,But after about 7 boots I loose hard drive activity(no flashing hd light) and It wont boot past the verus screen.Reimaged again and same thing,this time it makes it past the first screen but then black screen with Nt failure message.it wont do anything past that.Ok,one more try and this time it does better but after about 9 boots I got a system restore error message when turning off and not bootable again.Tried a different sshd,same thing.I do use the Verus on a dedicated stand with the snap on hub\charger,a mouse and keyboard.I thing the hub is robbing power from the hard drive.Seems to do ok when powered normally but will crash with the hub.After about 5 tries old drive is back in and all is well.Any Ideas?
                              Hey Rick

I have had the exact same same thing with mine. I too have 80 gig corsair. back to the original HD at this point.......I am leaning towards what sbreland73 said about XP and SSD's

Comment

Working...