Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bentpushrod
    • Jan 2014

Another MT2500 help request

I have a 94.5 F350 Powerstroke with a ZF-5. I just picked up a Snap on mt2500. I'm using a primary cartridge of: GM-Chrysler-Ford-Jeep Domestic Thru 1999. It's OBD 2 and Bi-directional controls. Secondary cartridge is the troubleshooter thru 1999 with diesel insight.

I believe these are the correct cartridges that I need to communicate with my truck. I know my truck is not OBD 2, the scanner even tells me to connect to the EEC port under the hood, which I've also seen mentioned on different forums.

I connect to my truck, enter my VIN info, go to run some tests and get nothing, and to refer to appendix B.

Next I think that maybe my truck has been reflashed by Ford, and if I'm lucky I can communicate through the OBD 2 port under the dash. I have the correct personality key k2a that is used on the 96-97 trucks. I hook everything up, and again it gives me some different tests I can run, but again when I run the tests nothing happens, and it refers me to appendix B.

From the reading I have done, people say they can read 94-95 powerstroke trucks with this scanner, I can't, and just dropped a couple hundred bucks on this scanner. Can't afford to buy auto enguity.

Anybody with any experience using the red brick on these trucks with any advice?
  • Joe Rappa
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

Please post the 1st 10 digits of your VIN. You can't ID vehicles by half years. The 10th digit is the model year, despite what the manufacturers call it. 94 vehicles use the connector under the hood for communications. 95 vehicles use the OBDII Connector under the dash. Connecting to the wrong connector can smoke the processor in your truck or smoke the scanner.
    ID vehicles by VIN to do it safely.
    Can you retrieve trouble codes or view data?

Joe
    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
    Henry Ford

Comment

• bentpushrod
      • Jan 2014

Thanks for the reply. I used the right number to reflect a '94 for my VIN. And I did plug in under the hood which all 94's and some of the early 95's are supposed to.

I cannot retrieve any codes or data.

Comment

• bentpushrod
        • Jan 2014

Well, I got it to work. Somebody before me must have had Ford reflash the computer. I plugged in to the OBD 2 port, told the scanner my truck is a '96, and voila! It works.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
          Snap-on DSD
          • Aug 2007

Glad you got it figured out. Some of those vehicles around 95 can get messy like that. It is normally not a good idea to try IDing the vehicle incorrectly, but sometimes you have to do it.

Joe
          "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
          Henry Ford

Comment

Working...