Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 70cuda383
    • Oct 2012

MT2500 help?

Ok, I'm just a hobbyist, working on a 1998 model Dakota. I have an MT2500 with the Domestic primary cartridge through 01, ABS cartridge through '99 and the Dodge key.

The scanner works great! but...I can't get it to access the ABS stuff. my ABS light flashes at me and I need to figure out what the code is. when I power it up the scanner body recognizes/sees the ABS cartridge, but then after going through the "start-up" options, it only gives me an option for Engine, Body, or Transmission, and nowhere in any of those 3 options do I see a way to access the ABS computer.

(those same 3 options are available even if the ABS cartridge is not installed)

can someone tell me what I need to do to access the ABS computer with the MT2500 and an ABS cartridge? is it hidden somewhere? or is something not working?
  • Joe Rappa
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

The ABS cartridge of for the Troubleshooter only. It doesn't affect communication with any modules, just Trouble Code lookups, etc.

The reason that ABS doesn't appear is because it hadn't been developed yet. If you want to access ABS you will need a newer Primary Cartridge. Just be careful what you buy. There are a bunch of EBay sellers out there with some deceptive ads on when you get when you buy newer cartridges. The new coverage is OBDII only.

Joe
    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
    Henry Ford

Comment

• 70cuda383
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
      The ABS cartridge of for the Troubleshooter only. It doesn't affect communication with any modules, just Trouble Code lookups, etc.

The reason that ABS doesn't appear is because it hadn't been developed yet. If you want to access ABS you will need a newer Primary Cartridge. Just be careful what you buy. There are a bunch of EBay sellers out there with some deceptive ads on when you get when you buy newer cartridges. The new coverage is OBDII only.

Joe
      Interesting, thanks for the information. most info I've gotten so far.

so...when you say "hadn't been developed yet" when exactly did they develop the ABS cartridges? how do I know what cartridge is newer? the primary that I have is already "newer" than the ABS cartridge if you go by the "through" date on them.

Comment

• 70cuda383
        • Oct 2012

...or are you saying that the ABS cartridge is the same as the troubleshooter guide, and only gives you what the codes mean and how to fix them...and that the newer primary cartridge has the ABS stuff built into it?

what year did the ABS stuff come out on the cartridges? what year do I need to find?

and...any tips on spotting a phony ebay ad with junk cartridges? or just rely on ebay buyer protection plan?

Comment

• Joe Rappa
          Snap-on DSD
          • Aug 2007

Hi Cuda,
          If you took the ABS Cartridge and threw it out the window you would still be able to access ABS Trouble Codes, Data, and Functional Tests with the Primary Cartridge. The only thing the ABS Cartridge does for you is add some diagnostic help, like looking up trouble codes etc. If you remove the Troubleshooter Cartridge the only thing to disappear off the Main Menu would be the Troubleshooter link.

When I say it hadn't been developed yet I mean that when the software for the 2001 Cartridge was being developed your Dodge was only 2 years old. It was still under warranty, so developing software for the ABS System was not a priority yet. I was added sometime later, but I don't know when.

Here is an EBay ad that claims coverage through 2009, which is kind of funny, because coverage ended in 07.

Joe
          Henry Ford

Comment

• Joe Rappa
            Snap-on DSD
            • Aug 2007

This one appears to be legit.

Henry Ford

Comment

• 70cuda383
              • Oct 2012

wow. at that price, I should just buy a used Modis and sell my MT2500/cartridges!

Thanks for the link though. Guess I should stop looking at the $60 cartridges. Don't need the troubleshooter stuff, I'm smart enough to figure out if it's a bad sensor, or a real problem, plus I have the factory service manual, which has a pretty good troubleshooting explanation for all the systems.

Comment

Working...