Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phill57
    • Oct 2007

Comparing 14.4 and Maxisys Capabilities

I had a chance to do some comparisons between the Maxisys scanner and my Verus running 14.4 software. I was really just focusing on network scanning capabilities, bi-directional controls, data recording and reviewing data. The tests were done on a 2009 Yukon Hybrid and focused on engine controls only. Although there are good features in both tools, as you can imagine different automobile manufacturers will make a huge difference on the capabilities as well. I recorded several videos and posted them on Youtube. Here is the link if you like to see:

I suppose to be more fair I should have used a Solus Ultra or Edge running current software but the basic scanner functions are the same or similar. Maybe I'll do that next on a different vehicle, probably a Ford.

Let me know what you think.
  • SnapOnKid
    • Jan 2011

Nice comparison.

I have really been impressed with the newer updates as they have added a lot of useful coverage as well as backfilled a lot of missing coverage.

I like the language on the maxisys. See Module 22 RestRaint

2015 is coming so It might be time to start a more current list of needs and features...

Comment

• Scott_65
      • Mar 2012

Fantastic set of videos, thanks for sharing this! I have a verus pro. I like it, but I'm not in love with the price. Plus I don't ever use the scope. And now the problems with bogging down on Shopkey Pro, it seems like a bit of a waste. So in your opinion, is it worth the price difference for the features? If you were offered one or the other, which one would you buy?

Comment

• badcoupe
        • Jan 2011

Considering Autel just got slammed with several lawsuits from oe vehicle manufacturers I would steer clear. Not real sure they'll be around in a year or two.

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

Even if they were no longer in business in a year or two because they might have allegedly plagerized 2014 Model Bidirectional Software from OE manufacturers that may still be OE confidential not authorized to reproduce and sell to the aftermarket yet , It's still a win win for a Bottom Feeder like me to snag one while they are still available, because What's on them now is as close as you are going to get to OE level in an all in one scanner. It might have some things that Farfignuegen makes will never want to sell to the aftermarket until the models are 10 years old and they no longer want to deal with their own Turds at the dealer level because people are abandoning cars in dealer service departments and finally after squeezing as much juice as possible out of it, they offer the old Scrap Software for sale to Snap On.

Comment

• hefaus
            • Dec 2007

MaxiSys 908

For an aftermarket scanner from China I cant knock this device. It does do the crank relearn. Its in guess Module setup. I made the same assumption.Why Module setup. A little more snooping and you can find those.If you go to print it asks just screen or all data. Runs all over lots of scanners out now and if they went out of business. Something I do't believe than it would be considered an excellent scanner. I just love the things my ms908 can do. Snao On you paying attention...They are releasing to the best of my knowledge a looks like a Pico 4 channel scope mp 408 with great features and its supposed to also hook up to a PC..Extra market. I totally agree with Witsend. Just saying. keep Smiling
            Last edited by hefaus; 11-24-2014, 08:06 PM.

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

Considering Autel just got slammed with several lawsuits from oe vehicle manufacturers I would steer clear. Not real sure they'll be around in a year or two.
              Looks like Ford had filed

Ford Motor Co. sued vehicle diagnostic equipment company Autel US Inc. and an affiliate on Monday in Michigan federal court, alleging Autel had hacked into one of Ford's software programs and copied information for use in its diagnostic tools.

but is there any other links to info about any other manufacturers doing the same?

Hey, All the more reason for a Bottom Feeders like myself to get one from Amazon within the next year or two while still able , and yes you can make some backup versions of your older software versions without special cloning software, lest you find your future update versions could end up having a lot of capabilities mysteriously missing from them.
              An unfavorable outcome for Autel would be The Official Distributors that sell the scanners at close to retail price here could be hurt or go out of business, and maybe even Amazon would be forced to pull the "non official US version scanners off the market. But I think Alley Bobber and The Seven Thieves would still be marketing the damn things from China even cheaper with even more cloned software because Ford and the rest of them have to Bow and say Ah So and suck Hind Tiddy of China to be able to build lots of their cars there.

I
              Last edited by Witsend; 11-25-2014, 10:24 AM.

Comment

• SnapOnKid
                • Jan 2011

Well the best part of being a bottom feeder is that you can now go to Harbor Freight and purchase the MaxiDas DS708 scan tool.

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

It looks like it only has a standard 90 day warranty and there is no mention about being able to update software on it for a year.
                  In the past , working at dealers I have always had access to the factory scanner and only had a basic code scanner for checks , but with everything on cars being on a network and the dealer scan tool constantly being in use, you just have to have your own sh@t now, and other than reflashes per TSBs , If the car was a 2013 model Ford ,and the dealer scan tool had a waiting line I would grab the DS before a Solus Ultra on anything newer than 3 years old under warranty. Why do you think Ford wants to sue Autel? If Ford doesn't succeed in milking some cash out of Autel lawsuit( or forcing them to make all their next dealer diagnostic tablets for free for the next 10 years ) I wouldn't doubt if Ford Dealers get a memorandum to write letters on techs who use a Banned Scan Tool containing non authorized to use Ford Software to work on their cars.
                  Last edited by Witsend; 11-30-2014, 08:30 AM.

Comment

• SnapOnKid
                    • Jan 2011

IMO, With the average People I see going to HF to purchase tools, I just don't see them spending that kind of money.

but thats also why I am not in sales...

Maybe this is Autel's way of unloading some of the inventory. Once it's out there they can't force people to return it.

Comment

• Witsend
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2012

Maybe this is Autel's way of unloading some of the inventory. Once it's out there they can't force people to return it.

I think you are right about them unloading the Inventory, The smaller Harbor freight scanners made by Autel for Harbor Freight, usually go by name Centech. Before I would even consider dropping over a grand at Harbor Freight I would find out how much more it would cost to get at least a one year warranty and if purchase includes a year of free updates, a one time one chance updating , or no updates at all

Comment

• Scott_65
                        • Mar 2012

Ok, this may be a dumb question. But in the videos comparing the speed of the "all vehicle code scan", how do you access that? I have to go through each module one at a time. I'm only on 13.4 so I thought that was the issue. But another mechanic just updated to 14.4 and his doesn't have it either.

Comment

• greasybob
                          • May 2008

Are you using the cable or the wireless module ? The all scan only works with the wireless module.

Comment

• Scott_65
                            • Mar 2012

Originally posted by greasybob
                            Are you using the cable or the wireless module ? The all scan only works with the wireless module.
                            I'm using the wireless module. I didn't even know you could hook up a pro with a wired connection. That might be kinda handy since the battery seems to be going bad in my 6 month old $10k scanner

Comment

• phill57
                              • Oct 2007

all module code scan/clear

Originally posted by Scott_65
                              I'm using the wireless module. I didn't even know you could hook up a pro with a wired connection. That might be kinda handy since the battery seems to be going bad in my 6 month old $10k scanner
                              Its not available on all vehicles or even on older vehicles. Not there on an 05 GM but there for 06 on. Also noted the self id (vin retrieval) only works on some. Maxisys beats the Snappy stuff hands down here. I guess we will always be playing catch up.

Comment

Working...