No more Injector Balance tests after 16.2? anyone else?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blades11b
    • May 2016

No more Injector Balance tests after 16.2? anyone else?

Hey all. first post here and im currently getting yanked around by Snap-On customer care. I updated my Verus Pro to 16.2 and now have no option of performing a Balance rate test on multiple Dodge/Ram Cummins pickups (one a 2011 and one a 2004) The 2011 I just worked on 3 weeks ago (right before the update) and performed a balance test to ensure the injectors were ok (customer got a ton of water in their fuel) now it comes back for poor running condition and I cant even do the test which as a diesel repair shop pretty much makes this scanner useless for diagnostics. so..... anyone else have this issue?
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

Injector kill test under system tests ?

Comment

• greasybob
      • May 2008

this test ?
      Attached Files

Comment

• blades11b
        • May 2016

unfortunately no, Thats exactly what my screen looks like. there should be a selection for balance rates or contribution tests.

each manufacturer calls it something different. but heres the attachment for the Verus pro that states it can be done

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

From what I remember about Ford 7.3 diesels is that unless the vehicle engine is being cranked over or running the high pressure oil injection control pressure ICP needed about 500pSI to assist the delivery of fuel into the cylinder would not be sufficient enough to accurately statically test the fuel injector flow rates in the vehicle like you can with gasoline engines.

Comment

• blades11b
            • May 2016

Understandable. however on Common rail trucks the balance rate test will help you determine how the cylinders are all contributing. the reason why its so frustrating is because its a very common test I do to every truck and now some trucks have lost the ability to do the test

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

Hey, you got to figure that if at least one manufacturer's software isn't in the proverbial toilet at any given time , there would likely be little to no incentive to purchase the next update that restores the function.

Comment

• Crusty
                • Dec 2007

On Bob's screen there is INJECTOR KILL TEST and also INJECTOR QUANTITY ADJUSTMENT.
                Wouldn't those do the same thing just with a different name for the same tests-??
                Perhaps it's just semantics-??

Comment

• blades11b
                  • May 2016

The injector kill test will allow you to disable individual injectors, that test remains unchanged, the quantity adjustment is for injector coding. basically a code that tells the computer how to regulate the fine adjustment of the injector (typically for idle). So unfortunately that is not it either

Comment

• Crusty
                    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by blades11b
                    The injector kill test will allow you to disable individual injectors, that test remains unchanged, the quantity adjustment is for injector coding. basically a code that tells the computer how to regulate the fine adjustment of the injector (typically for idle). So unfortunately that is not it either
                    I'm not a diesel guy but I manage the basics when I have to.
                    Just thought the naming of the "tests" might have morphed or perhaps within one of those groups there may be a sub group that holds what you were looking for.
                    Learn something new every day.
                    Sometimes things get dropped and are an oversight and corrected, especially when members point them out.

Comment

• greasybob
                      • May 2008

I just checked the data pids on this 2011 again and you are correct, there is no injector balance or flow information. I have an 06 5.9 I can check tomorrow.

Comment

• diesel71
                        • Feb 2008

ill try and help here,
                        #1 always make sure you have chose the right make of vehicle especially on Chrysler diesel trucks. you can pick dodge or ram, if you pick the wrong one the scanner will still give the right vin/year/engine and work but some functional test will not be available.
                        #2 the dodge/ram 6.7 from 2007 threw 2012 did not have the cylinder performance test implemented in the ecm until 6/1/2010. a ecm update/flash was needed to make this test work, so its possible you are checking a vehicle that has an old calibration or needs the latest calibration flash.
                        #3 the test is called cylinder performance, it measures each cylinders contribution from the cam and crank signals, rotational speed. this is read as a percentage on the scanner. balance rates are only used on the duramax engines. balance rates are the percent of injector dwell time the ecm is making to balance the engine. a + means dwell time is being added and a - means dwell time is being subtracted to that certain injector.
                        I used this test 2 times today on a 2007 and 2008 dodge/ram 6.7. I was using the solus edge with 16.2 and they worked fine. I have a 2012 here that I will check on Monday. if the test is missing I will report it to the right people.
                        51318002.BMP

51318003.BMP

Comment

• blades11b
                          • May 2016

Thanks for the reply! We may have a 2 part problem then. Ive had this problem for a while and didnt even think of it until now. I have never been able to select a Cummins engine with the Ram option. The following is what I get no matter what model.

year.jpg
                          With this selection i obviously choose the year

autorman.jpg
                          now i pick Auto or Manual (it doesnt work no matter which one I choose. it was the same way before the update as well

vinormodel.jpg
                          This is where things get funky, as you can see this is my only selection i can make. The current truck being used is a 5500 but it will do this no matter what dodge it is

engine.jpg
                          And when i choose it this the only vin selection i can make

Comment

• diesel71
                            • Feb 2008

blades11b,
                            anytime you are scanning a 5500 you will need to id it as a 3500. a 5500 is considered a medium duty diesel even though its chassis and engine is the same as a light duty. id the vehicle as a 3500 and the auto id should give the right engine/vin/make, at that point you should be able to run your tests. I did not get a chance to check the 2012 today but will and report the findings.
                            In the mean time use the injector kill test and record the engine rpm during the test, cut out each injector and look for less rpm drop on a cylinder. the cylinder that drops less rpm during the test is not contributing as much. this may help diag a week injector/cylinder.

Comment

• Crusty
                              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by diesel71
                              blades11b,
                              anytime you are scanning a 5500 you will need to id it as a 3500. a 5500 is considered a medium duty diesel even though its chassis and engine is the same as a light duty. id the vehicle as a 3500 and the auto id should give the right engine/vin/make, at that point you should be able to run your tests. I did not get a chance to check the 2012 today but will and report the findings.
                              In the mean time use the injector kill test and record the engine rpm during the test, cut out each injector and look for less rpm drop on a cylinder. the cylinder that drops less rpm during the test is not contributing as much. this may help diag a week injector/cylinder.
                              Makes sense to me Diesel71. Glad you chimed in here. Thanks.

Comment

Working...