Proof that Intellegent diagnostics does work!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joe Rappa
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

To add a few points here:

1) I know Ed personally. I know him to be a very knowledgeable Technician. He's always eager to gain knowledge and share it.
    2) I think he chose a poor example to demo what Intelligent Diag can do, because there are plenty of examples where it flags a bad PID without there being a desired:actual reference.

Whether you agree with the premise or power of it, nobody can know the correct ranges of every PID on every vehicle. In instances where there is no desired:actual reference for the PID, Smart Data can get you pointed in the right direction. It's also handy for the guy that doesn't do diagnostics regularly.
    I wasn't a fan of it in the beginning, for some of the same reasons stated in this thread. I sure do have a lot of customers that like it though. If I ever get any complaints on it, it's not about functionality. It's about the subscription that accompanies it.

Joe
    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
    Henry Ford

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

The pids that show in red (Out of Range). Is this only useful for flagging something KOEO and KOER that is below minimum or above maximum parameters that sets a code ?Operating range is shown in parenthesis on most $1500 and up Chinaman tools that show red. Is the Zeus smarter and can flag the pid still within the Min /Max code setting criteria at any engine loads and display in parenthesis a dynamically changing narrower desired range for that specific engine operating condition like monitoring grams per second on a MAF sensor?

Comment

• Joe Rappa
        Snap-on DSD
        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Witsend
        The pids that show in red (Out of Range). Is this only useful for flagging something KOEO and KOER that is below minimum or above maximum parameters that sets a code ?Operating range is shown in parenthesis on most $1500 and up Chinaman tools that show red. Is the Zeus smarter and can flag the pid still within the Min /Max code setting criteria at any engine loads and display in parenthesis a dynamically changing narrower desired range for that specific engine operating condition like monitoring grams per second on a MAF sensor?
        It is supposed to be used at hot idle.
        Joe
        "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
        Henry Ford

Comment

• eddie8
          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Crusty
          When THIS is in the vehicle....
          ""P008A*00 | Low Pressure Fuel System Pressure * Too Low * Pending DTC."",
          it isn't brain surgery or rocket science to look at fuel pressure pids, whatever the vehicle is or however long the pid lists are....
          The CODE sent the OP in the direction to test, not "intelligent diagnostics"...
          Some vehicles could have one related pid, some may have two, some may have six. Regardless, things need to be tested to verify that what the electronic modules "think" they see is actually the case.
          Well Crusty...Your a really smart fellar….

The OP read the code description but the OP actually looked in the smart data section to give the clue
          Your right...it doesn't take a rocket scientist to use intelligent diagnostics but just maybe there are some technicians that need some extra help. You obviously are way over qualified to use the resources that snap on put in there tool. The point of this post was to show the less advanced techs that this tool can help them and point them in the right direction.

To everybody who responded to this post I thank you for your responses. This post is an example of why there are a lot less posts on a variety of subjects in these forums. Posts are put up to help people not ridicule them or the sponsor. I can take criticism like the rest of them but this post really didn't generate a need for debate. If you would like to debate with me then lets do it in a pm. Would love to hear your theories on this and how you would have approached this topic using intelligent diagnostics....after all..thats what this is about correct?
          Edwin Hazzard
          Southeast Mobile Tech

Comment

• Wheel
            • Jul 2007

What I like about the intelligent diagnostics concept is it rounds up the tests, troubleshooter, etc in one place where you don't have to navigate around the tool to find them

What I absolutely DO NOT like about this is having to be internet dependent on it. No internet for any reason = none of this feature which could AND SHOULD be based in the tool itself.
            You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Crusty
              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by eddie8
              Well Crusty...Your a really smart fellar….

The OP read the code description but the OP actually looked in the smart data section to give the clue
              Your right...it doesn't take a rocket scientist to use intelligent diagnostics but just maybe there are some technicians that need some extra help. You obviously are way over qualified to use the resources that snap on put in there tool. The point of this post was to show the less advanced techs that this tool can help them and point them in the right direction.

To everybody who responded to this post I thank you for your responses. This post is an example of why there are a lot less posts on a variety of subjects in these forums. Posts are put up to help people not ridicule them or the sponsor. I can take criticism like the rest of them but this post really didn't generate a need for debate. If you would like to debate with me then lets do it in a pm. Would love to hear your theories on this and how you would have approached this topic using intelligent diagnostics....after all..thats what this is about correct?
              As Joe pointed out, if the example you used showed something out of whack where there was not these two pids, then perhaps the "intelligent diagnostics" can, and possibly does help.
              In the example you used, it's a NO BRAINER.
              Actual pid value does not match desired pid value.
              WOW....amazing.
              It's the expression "intelligent diagnostics" that is bothersome.
              I tried very hard NOT to point a finger at YOU, but to continue to defend "intelligent diagnostics" in this case where there are two very understandable pids already available that very clearly show there is a problem, well, I just can't see it being anything superlative.
              If you had used another example such as a MAF value at a particular RPM, where there was NOT a corresponding "desired" pid, then you can defend "intelligent diagnostics".
              The example you used just isn't.

Comment

• tech25
                • Oct 2017

I agree that snap on should probably start doing this diagnostic walk though. but if one uses some of the oem sw, example, BMW ISTA.. there is absolutely no comparison with the walk though ( test plan ). snap on is on the right idea. but they are about 15 years behind..

Comment

• BMW JEDI
                  • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Joe Rappa

Whether you agree with the premise or power of it, nobody can know the correct ranges of every PID on every vehicle.

Joe
                  Except for the vehicle manufacturer, which is why the control modules perform continuous testing for all critical inputs, each with their own specific testing criteria, and illuminate an (usually) amber colored warning lamp in the instrument panel when they fail, which is supplemented with a diagnostic fault code that can be used (by a competent tech) to determine the correct course of action for further testing.

How many techs do we have here that remember working on and diagnosing cars that didn't have scan tool data?

Remember break-out-boxes, DMM's and oscilliscopes?

That was intelligent diagnostics!

8^)

Comment

• Witsend
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2012

How many techs do we have here that remember working on and diagnosing cars that didn't have scan tool data?

Remember break-out-boxes, DMM's and oscilliscopes?

That was intelligent diagnostics!

8^)
                    LOL, I remember. I still think in this day and age of ever shrinking tiny gauge ECU pins and wiring , BOBs are making more sense to me than ever before if you wish to save time and don't want to untape and remove connector hoods and risk causing more wiring issues backprobing T pins or piercing wires when you have to test these circuits back to the ECUs. Gone are the days of the old un-shrounded 60 pin ECU where you could back probe a T pin into the connectors with a T pin and not expect to damage anything
                    " With Intelligent Diagnostics" just sounds better from a Marketing Point of view than "With Active Technician Assist System"
                    Sort of Like ADAS, that creates lazy , complacent car drivers on Auto Pilot, this is a sort of like ATAS for the same type of techs .

Comment

Working...