Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • andre104623
    • Nov 2015

Bought like new verdict d7

Hello everyone new here and just bought a used but like new verdict d7 from snap on. I got canned a few weeks ago from my job that I was working for 6 years. After being fired for nothing ( really nothing ) I found a new job within 3 hours and took to it quite fast. Now I just paid off my classic 96 box and needed it moved and the snap on dealer wanted 125! So I told him that I been looking for a really good future proof scanner, scope so that changed everthing and had my box moved next day for free.

They wanted me to buy a verus pro new and it was just to big so he just had someone trade in a 3 month old verdict d7 complete with tool box and obd-1 master kit and euro almost every extra you can get. The price 5500usd I couldn't say no so signed my life over once again. Now I been playing around with it all day and I'm impressed works great and looks very professional. But seems that a lot of people are not happy with there verdicts so I'm asking if there is anything I need to know. I just hope I made a good investment and not a mistake. Snap on is coming monday to give me a free update and I demanded a winter jacket so is there anything I should get with this system to make it problem free for a while.

Thanks in advance
  • Joe Rappa
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

Most users that don't like the Verdict complain that it is slow. Like any computer, it takes time to boot, but once it boots it is plenty fast as a scanner. The battery life is good. Having a wireless meter and scope is pretty cool at times.
    Cruising the internet, especially if you use Internet Explorer, is definitely on the slow side. I avoid doing that on my Verdict except for when I am using Shopkey. I also use Chrome as my browser. Anything other than Internet Explorer works better!

The scope will play live without any delay, but if you freeze the scope and want to view or save the whole file, it takes time to transfer back to the D7. This takes a minute or two over Bluetooth, and is normal operation. Give it a try.

If you aren't bothered by the boot time of the Verdict, you'll be happy with it.

Joe
    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
    Henry Ford

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

good advice

What ever you do, don't drop it, but please please please take any powerful magnetic pickup tools (that could corrupt a hard drive or SD card)out of your shirt pocket first before hugging and hanging onto it like a running back that can't afford to get the ball stripped on the run.

Comment

• chopperb
        • Aug 2013

I have had a verdict for 2 years. Only issue I have had is the hard drive crashed. Other then that no issues at all.

Comment

• crackerclicker
          • May 2008

Originally posted by Witsend
          What ever you do, don't drop it, but please please please take any powerful magnetic pickup tools (that could corrupt a hard drive or SD card)out of your shirt pocket first before hugging and hanging onto it like a running back that can't afford to get the ball stripped on the run.

I don't think you could fit a magnet capable of damaging a hard drive (or SD card) in your shirt pocket.

Comment

• Crusty
            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by crackerclicker
            I don't think you could fit a magnet capable of damaging a hard drive (or SD card) in your shirt pocket.
            Some "rare earth" magnets might be capable....they're really powerful .....I wouldn't try it...lol

Comment

• crackerclicker
              • May 2008

Hmmm . . . well next time my Snap On guy tries to sell me a rare earth magnetic pickup tool I'll be sure to decline.

Comment

• andre104623
                • Nov 2015

Thanks guys for the info. I got the whole package today and update to 15.4 I'm very happy with it. It has already made me money over the weekend even with the old software. I also got the 95th year winter jacket and hooded sweatshirt. I build PCBs and fix computers as a side job so at some point I will upgrade the ram and hard drive to a ssd when of course its legally mine just to make it faster.

It is slow as balls but I knew that from the beginning just look at the specs if you remember those old little netbook computers they have the same power just about. But I didnt buy a computer I bought a tool and honestly the windows XP is the best work OS

Comment

• MonzaRacer
                  • May 2008

IF,,,

IF it comes with warranty dont open it up,if it doesnt swap in matching 2GBram chip.
                  Swap out hdd for ssd, just clone it.
                  I have yet to find anything wrong other than its not super fast, but as for doing the work, it works well. If you have M2 meter you can swap out battery with self made battery pack using nimh aaa batteries in radio shack battery holders.
                  I used Harbor Freight batteries.

Comment

• andre104623
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by MonzaRacer
                    IF it comes with warranty dont open it up,if it doesnt swap in matching 2GBram chip.
                    Swap out hdd for ssd, just clone it.
                    I have yet to find anything wrong other than its not super fast, but as for doing the work, it works well. If you have M2 meter you can swap out battery with self made battery pack using nimh aaa batteries in radio shack battery holders.
                    I used Harbor Freight batteries.
                    It does come with warranty so I will hold off on ram upgrade. The m2 meter is brand new and I used it for the first time Thursday scoping out a O2 sensor on a 2005 ford explorer. But it nice to know there is a 3rd party way of replacing the battery pack thanks for the info

Comment

• antthecat
                      • Apr 2014

Would recommend a docking station to keep it charged up, switch my verdict on before morning coffee, its ready to go as and when i need and switch off at home time, batteries after a while dont hold charge as well (i have had mine 3 years and still get around 1.5 hrs battery life).

recommend a modis yellow scope lead if you want to use a low amps clamp for the double-earth jack.

Comment

• MonzaRacer
                        • May 2008

tips, trick, etc.

For the M2 battery, you can remove the outer covering, leave the white wires that go into the small white plug that plugs into the unit. The other small plastic connector that is one the actual battery pack you would only reuse if you have new battery pack built. I used Radio Shack AA battery holders that have same connector as a 9v battery.
                        I soldered and glued the second pack to the other. It fits well in battery compartment.
                        I have two sets of NIMH rechargables from Harbor Freight, one set of 2000mah one set of 2200mah I think. The stock charger will charge them as well as the stock pack as far as I can tell.
                        If you ever get a chance the ram upgrade is so much better than any other addition or upgrade. Swapping an SSD simply safeguards the info on the drive and its ability to function. SSDs wont die if unit is dropped.
                        Keeping the stock hdd in good storage place and maybe even a backup external hdd.
                        I agree I have the cradle coming and hope to be able to upgrade to bigger battery also.

Comment

Working...