Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • inkncraig
    • Oct 2012

Solus error message 404 no com

Hey everybody I have a Solus that’s not communicating. Can anyone give me any tips to help narrow down what component may have failed. CF card Personality key or the cord cable. This is my personal scanner and I’m trying to revive it. I bought it used

Thanks in advance
  • phill57
    • Oct 2007

No communication

Need more information.

Is it a problem on just one vehicle or all, will it work in generic OBD2 mode. Will it talk to any modules. Depending on your software release if I remember correctly at some points GM vehicles did not require a personality key. Have you tried a different cable?

Comment

• inkncraig
      • Oct 2012

No communication

It will not talk to the individual car (make) or generic OBDII. The specific make gives an error code. Then the obd connection says “no comm”. I have tried Chevy and Toyota. I have ordered a cable. What other makes take the personality keys. The k20 is the most used one.

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

Look at the Pins of the OBD connector and see if pin is damaged bent or missing. You could remove the cable and test each terminal for continuity from one end to the other end, but no continuity ( short)between any terminals on the same ends.

Comment

• inkncraig
          • Oct 2012

Well I did some find some odd things with the key adapter. I jumped the key pins straight across and ohmed through the adapter. The pins didn’t line up with respect to the other side. I.E. pins 7 on the DLC side came out in pin 15 on the vga cable. Well I have a cable coming for it

Comment

• kirkbarrow.garage
            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by inkncraig
            Well I did some find some odd things with the key adapter. I jumped the key pins straight across and ohmed through the adapter. The pins didn’t line up with respect to the other side. I.E. pins 7 on the DLC side came out in pin 15 on the vga cable. Well I have a cable coming for it

To be quite honest, that to me is perfectly expected ( as an ex Radio, TV, Video, Audio & Satellite technician anyway, who still repairs cell phones, tablets, laptops & tower pc's ) as it matters not to which pin connects to which at the other end, but it DOES matter there is a connection on the two ends of the cable though.

Otherwise, nil results

Comment

• bsdkllr
              • Jan 2018

What im noticing with the Solus is that there is a chip inside that's burning out.

looks like a NEC D78C10AGF looks like it has some Analog to Digital conversion.

i may try and replace it and see what happens.

Comment

• inkncraig
                • Oct 2012

Awesome info !!!

Originally posted by bsdkllr
                What im noticing with the Solus is that there is a chip inside that's burning out.

looks like a NEC D78C10AGF looks like it has some Analog to Digital conversion.

i may try and replace it and see what happens.
                I'm taking it apart after I type this

Comment

• bsdkllr
                  • Jan 2018

the 2 i have on the lower right have a small burn. one is worse than the other. i did order replacement chips but they will take awhile to come. hopefully they will sort it out.

im not sure what caused it to burn out.

did yours just stop working while you were using it? or was it working and then the next car it was not?

Comment

• Witsend
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2012

If Snappy no longer supports a particular model scanner anymore with updates and repairs , the least they could do for a nominal fee like a hundred dollars plus surrendering your broken scanner to them , would be to issue you a fresh unlocked card of the same version software you had in the broken scanner to use in another used Snap On scanner of your choice (that has older software than the broken one), but might still be supported with repairs and updates.
                    For example a Solus Pro with 16.2 craps out, and you can't get it fixed , you buy a Solus Ultra off Flea Bay with 13.2 , and say I'll surrender my broken scanner head and pay SnapOn a hundred dollars , they'll give you a fresh 16.2 update (what you had on your broken Solus Pro) to install in the Solus Ultra with an older update to install the newer software version you had in the broken scanner.

Comment

• bsdkllr
                      • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Witsend
                      If Snappy no longer supports a particular model scanner anymore with updates and repairs , the least they could do for a nominal fee like a hundred dollars plus surrendering your broken scanner to them , would be to issue you a fresh unlocked card of the same version software you had in the broken scanner to use in another used Snap On scanner of your choice (that has older software than the broken one), but might still be supported with repairs and updates.
                      For example a Solus Pro with 16.2 craps out, and you can't get it fixed , you buy a Solus Ultra off Flea Bay with 13.2 , and say I'll surrender my broken scanner head and pay SnapOn a hundred dollars , they'll give you a fresh 16.2 update (what you had on your broken Solus Pro) to install in the Solus Ultra with an older update to install the newer software version you had in the broken scanner.
                      i haven't done alot of testing but inside the solus there is a removable circuit board it contains the CPU and unit specific hardware. if you swap that into a functioning solus and swap the corresponding cf card it should boot up and function as intended.

Comment

• inkncraig
                        • Oct 2012

the 2 i have on the lower right have a small burn. one is worse than the other. i did order replacement chips but they will take awhile to come. hopefully they will sort it out.

im not sure what caused it to burn out.

did yours just stop working while you were using it? or was it working and then the next car it was not?
                        I don't see any burn marks on the board. Ive replaced the cables. Tried different keys. I was quoted 250$ to test and replace the piece on the board. I'm mulling that over

Comment

• Maui
                          • Feb 2018

aloha,
                          I am not trying to hijack this thread, but I find this question interesting because I also have a Solus that will not communicate.

Just wondering if you have a theory on what may have happened if one or the other had occurred?
                          mahalo.

Comment

• bsdkllr
                            • Jan 2018

i will be changing out a chip in the solus. i will let you know if it fixes it. its very hard to see the bunt spot. its just a small dark spot on the corner of the chip.

it should be an NEC chip bottom of board under the comm port.

Comment

Working...