X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chaskuss
    • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Prezauto
    snipped
    I just realized in that last pic the scope & scanner board is printed with "2002",
    John, I just had another Modis apart last night. This one has Windows CE 3.0 installed as the operating system. After I removed the mother board, I noticed a white paper label glued to the upper half. It had a number & a date, November 12, 2009. It appears that this unit has had the software bundle updated to 12.4.
    This label [if yours has one] can be viewed by simply removing the left rubber grip. Look at the inside of the upper half, just above the left CF card socket. You might need to use a magnifying glass to read the label. It's not very large.
    The mother board on this Modis was sort of a combination of yours and my buddy's [first photos I posted] This one has the large black heat sink [presumably for the CPU] like my buddy's. However, it only has the smaller SO-DIMM [laptop] memory socket like yours. This socket was empty. I added a Samsung PC100 256 Mb memory module, but so far, have not been able to get the Modis to recognize it. Didn't have much time to mess with it though.
    After watching Scott's "FrankenModis" video, I was curious about using a wireless keyboard/mouse combo and a USB 4 port hub. Since all the Modis' I have experience with, have Windows CE 3, rather than CE 5 like you & Scott have on your machines.
    First, I installed the transmitter for one of my Microsoft wireless keyboard/mouse combos into the USB port of this Modis. Once the Modis finished powering up, it recognized the transmitter and the wireless keyboard. Mouse did not seem to respond to the Modis software, but I believe that is normal. For most things, only the North,South, East & West keys, along with the Y & N keys on the keyboard will function. They simply act as the Y & N keys and the direction keys [North, South, East & West] do on the Modis. Hitting the START button [Microsoft Windows Logo key at the lower left of the keyboard] will cause the START menu of Windows CE to pop up. This gives you access to the Windows CE operating system, below the Modis software. However, go into UTILITIES/SHOP INFO from the Modis Main Menu, and you can use all the keyboard keys to input your shop's name, address and phone number. You can then choose to have this info printed out as a header on anything you print out with the Modis. It also acts as a way to prove that you own the Modis, should there ever be any question of that. I also seem to remember one or two other areas where all the keys of the keyboard would work. While poking around in the Windows CE 3 operating system, I noticed that the wireless mouse still did not seem to work.
    I powered the Modis off. Removed the wireless transmitter and installed a Sabrent model B-UMLS 4 port USB hub. I recently purchased this on www.newegg.com
    for a laptop I own, that is down to one functional USB 2 port. I like this hub, as it has 4 push button switches. These switches turn each port on or off. That way, you do not deplete the battery on your laptop or Modis more than is required to run the USB items you attach to it.
    The Modis recognized the 4 port hub without problem. As a test, I then plugged the transmitter for the wireless keyboard/mouse combo, a normal wired Microsoft keyboard and an 8 Gb USB Flash drive into the hub. The keyboards were both recognized and functioned. However, I got a message asking for a driver for the USB Flash Drive. Not sure what version of Windows was the first to have native support for USB Flash Drives? I seem to remember having to add drivers for them on older versions of Windows. I know that Scott has a number of 1 Mb Flash drives functioning on his. Hopefully, he will read this and respond. I'm not sure if that driver is needed for any Flash Drive, or if it's because of the larger size of the Flash Drive I used. I can borrow a 1 Gb drive from a friend. I also own a 4 Gb & a 64 GB Flash Drive. I'll play around with these when I get the time.
    I'll post some photos of this latest exploration into the innards of a Modis, later.

Charlie

Comment

• Prezauto
      • Dec 2014

I'm pretty sure mine came with WinCE 3.0, or so says a small label on the rear of the case. That leads me to believe that it was sent in for some repairs that required the latest MOBO/CPU update.
      John

Comment

• chaskuss
        • Dec 2009

Photos of Late 2009 Modis

Did a memory upgrade on another Gen 2 Modis Elite. This unit was built in November 2009. It differs from John's Modis and my buddy Joe's Modis motherboard. It only has the laptop memory socket, like John's unit. However, it has the black aluminum heat sink [with spikes] on top of the CPU [the brain] like Joe's unit. John's Modis appears to have an upgraded CPU plus, installed into the laptop memory socket.
        I installed a Samsung PC100 laptop memory module into this Modis, but to no effect. I can not get this Modis to recognize the additional memory. It seems to me that Gen 2 Modis' are like the original VW Beetle, all the same, no two alike!
        Below are some photos of the mother board of this unit.

Another difference I noticed on this unit, is that it has a replaceable glass "Buss" style fuse. On Joe's and John's units, this fuse is soldered onto the motherboard. I am referring to the fuse and holder located just below the right end of the blue riser socket, at the top of the mother board. This is visible in the first two photos. The main memory appears to be the four black rectangular Integrated Circuit chips, soldered onto the mother board, below the black CPU heat sink.

The photo below shows a label which I believe indicates the date of manufacture [or upgrade] of this unit. I did not notice this label until I removed the mother board from the upper half. That said, you can see it is you simply remove the left rubber grip and look at the inside of the upper half, just above the CF card socket.

This unit has Windows CE 3.0 as it's operating system. Looks like I will have to add a CF card to the CF slot in the front of the Modis, to at least get more data storage memory.

Charlie

Comment

• Prezauto
          • Dec 2014

Originally posted by jm43130
          I have a Gen 2 Verus wireless and a solus Edge. I only update each one once a year. However , your dealer has to cooperate and tell you when new update is coming. You are sometimes a little behind because you update one just before new update, and then get a free update within a month because new update becomes available. So if you like to keep both, you can, just update one at like 14.1 update, get a free 14.2 update. then update other one in six months. The update you pay for is at end of update period, and free update is at beginning of update period.
          Been meaning to leave this reply for days, just been too busy. However, according to SO website, the BOGO update program is being replaced by the update subscription program.
          John

Comment

• scottmechanics
            • Jun 2013

The modis mem ?

hello every one
            Very good picture of the inside intend to strip mine down again (soon)
            On the top usb slot of my modis if I plug in the wifi dongle for mouse/ keyboard windows ce 5
            Will not recognise it there is a usb driver issue I think but add an old usb 2 ,with three ports adapter it all works fine with windows (not the modis software 13.4)
            Bad software written by Snapon needs a patch to fix this
            Mine has a sharp processor in side

Comment

• chaskuss
              • Dec 2009

2 Suggestions & 1 Question

Originally posted by scottmechanics
              hello every one
              Very good picture of the inside intend to strip mine down again (soon)
              On the top usb slot of my modis if I plug in the wifi dongle for mouse/ keyboard windows ce 5
              Will not recognise it there is a usb driver issue I think but add an old usb 2 ,with three ports adapter it all works fine with windows (not the modis software 13.4)
              Bad software written by Snap on needs a patch to fix this
              Mine has a sharp processor in side
              Scott,
              My Gen 2 Modis had no problem recognizing the transceiver dongle for my Microsoft wireless keyboard/mouse combo. My Modis has CE 3.0 in it, so your newer CE 5.0 OS should be able to handle that. I can also install a USB 2.0 4 port hub, which also works. This allowed me to install both the wireless transceiver dongle but also a USB flash drive. I had no problems with either [software bundle 12.4] Perhaps the issue is the brand of wireless keyboard/mouse? Try using either a Microsoft or Logitech product. They are the biggest players in the wireless keyboard an mouse field.
              You might try installing the 13.4.1 Service Release update for your software. Service Releases are Snap On's equivalent to Microsoft Updates. You can download them here.

Then use ShopStream Connect to install the update to your CF card.

How did you determine your CPU make? I did not remove the black pointed heat sink on my motherboard, as I'm running low on the thermal paste that must be applied between a CPU and it's heat sink.

Charlie

Comment

• scottmechanics
                • Jun 2013

Hello again
                Processor from windows settings
                Mouse & keyboard from Maplins (like radio shack store) there own make
                Have add a vid on YouTube to show more info

Attached Files

Comment

Working...