X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BMW JEDI
    • Feb 2012

Originally posted by GypsyR
    Umm, OK.
    You quoted what I said but apparently didn't read it.
    I said: "The $35 one works with the cable from our old Solus (for one) and allows our Zeus, Verdict, and Verus Edge all to communicate with OBDI cars using any of the older legacy Snap On OBDI connectors and adapters we have"
    Then you said:"On the latest Edge Line up ,Just hope all the old style OBD I and Euro Connectors of the older scanners will work with the adapter"

We HAVE the latest Edge lineup and ARE USING the old OBDI adapters, some so old they came with an MT2500. No hope to it.

I see the $400 Kit you're talking about. I've upgraded platforms a couple of times and still have ALL my adapters. A scenario where you toss your adapters in with an upgrade deal and then have to buy them all over again after you realize you just threw away out your entire OBDI capability doesn't make any sense to me.
    I am pretty certain the new OBD-I adapters are NOT the same as the old MT2500 adapters.....

Comment

• GypsyR
      • Jul 2017

The new ones are red the antiques are black. I'm using both interchangeably. If there's a difference that affects usability I can't tell it.

Comment

• kirkbarrow.garage
        • Jan 2015

The new ones are red the antiques are black. I'm using both interchangeably. If there's a difference that affects usability I can't tell it.
        Hi Gypsy, there is a unique difference and it only affects usability if you need it.
        The red are rated to a higher current specs ( sorry, I do not know the specific difference ) and aside from this, there is no usability difference that affects how you connect or attain codes, clear codes, or anything else like coding injectors.

Comment

• GypsyR
          • Jul 2017

They are rated higher because if you have the giant "soap on a rope" OBD dongle like a Verdict or Verus wireless uses, it needs to be powered through the OBD plug-like so.

(picture shamelessly borrowed from a guy who goes by pole71 using the identical stuff)
          The black plugs were never meant to supply power to anything, just signal. So yes, they aren't rated for powering things. But have worked for me anyway. So far.
          That big dongle also has a USB port hidden in it that powers it up for "demo mode". I tried powering the dongle via that USB to the scanner so the scanner would power the dongle instead of the OBD adapter-adapter/cigarette lighter setup. Apparently the designers either didn't think of that or didn't want us doing it that way as it doesn't work.
          As big as that dongle is, I doubt it really draws THAT much power. Might measure it one day if I happen to have such tools out anyway. And what that little dongle the Zeus uses too. Both types power up just fine on a tiny little USB port like what's in the side of your cell phone which means they happily will run on five volts on that end.

Comment

• Glide
            • Jan 2015

Same here.I did pony up for the Euro OBD1 kit,but for OBD1 NA stuff I have all the old brick adapters and they work fine with Solus Ultra.

Comment

• kirkbarrow.garage
              • Jan 2015

They are rated higher because if you have the giant "soap on a rope" OBD dongle like a Verdict or Verus wireless uses, it needs to be powered through the OBD plug-like so.

(picture shamelessly borrowed from a guy who goes by pole71 using the identical stuff)
              The black plugs were never meant to supply power to anything, just signal. So yes, they aren't rated for powering things. But have worked for me anyway. So far.
              That big dongle also has a USB port hidden in it that powers it up for "demo mode". I tried powering the dongle via that USB to the scanner so the scanner would power the dongle instead of the OBD adapter-adapter/cigarette lighter setup. Apparently the designers either didn't think of that or didn't want us doing it that way as it doesn't work.
              As big as that dongle is, I doubt it really draws THAT much power. Might measure it one day if I happen to have such tools out anyway. And what that little dongle the Zeus uses too. Both types power up just fine on a tiny little USB port like what's in the side of your cell phone which means they happily will run on five volts on that end.

I really hate to " worry " you, BUT ( and it is a BIG but ) the red connectors were around before the detachable unit shown ��������
              This is because I got my Modis in 2011 and this had red adaptors way back then ��
              Last edited by kirkbarrow.garage; 11-17-2017, 04:07 PM.

Comment

• GypsyR
                • Jul 2017

Doesn't worry me at all. Our 2007 (or about) Solus came with red adapters.
                The point is the early ones aren't supposed to be rated to carry much current as no one ever expected to be actually powering anything through OBDI connections back then. Snap On uprated the red ones for whatever reasons they had back when they changed to them. Those are what they sell today.
                If at some point I get a black connector to fail I will simply replace it with the upgraded red style. All my Euro adapters are already the red types. As few OBDI cars as I see these days I expect them all to last just fine. I can't even remember the last time I even used my Hyundai or Mitsubishi OBDI's.

The red ones are without a doubt the best ones to use. In the real world for occasional light use, the black ones seem to work fine.

Comment

• Jadidaskv
                  • Nov 2017

So today i spoke to a snap on dealer when i ran into him at a dunkins, he said he doesnt habe 17.2, but there's another way they can be updated, which is to get a card with newer software. I asked if it was the cf card, he said no, sd card. He said he may have something in the 16s. Hes guns check for me over the weekend so ill find out monday. After i got off the phone with him i looked it up, and everything i could find says its the cf that has the software. Man i hope he has something that will work

Comment

• Witsend
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2012

Hes guns check for me over the weekend so ill find out monday. After i got off the phone with him i looked it up, and everything i could find says its the cf that has the software. Man i hope he has something that will work
                    Is he some sort of a Liberal with one of those No Guns stickers at the truck's entrance ?

Comment

• Jadidaskv
                      • Nov 2017

How could his guns check for me this weekend if hes anti gun?

Comment

• Witsend
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2012

How could his guns check for me this weekend if hes anti gun?
                        Meant he's going to ("gonna") check you for guns? Sorry , I hate F@cking Grammar Nazis myself I say we guns have open season on them @ssholes.
                        Last edited by Witsend; 11-19-2017, 08:30 PM.

Comment

• crackerclicker
                          • May 2008

Originally posted by kirkbarrow.garage
                          I really hate to " worry " you, BUT ( and it is a BIG but ) the red connectors were around before the detachable unit shown ��������
                          This is correct.

Originally posted by kirkbarrow.garage
                          This is because I got my Modis in 2011 and this had red adaptors way back then ��
                          The red connectors showed up with the first gen Verus. Snap On included the red ones in the other scantool options they sold because there was no reason to manufacture both the black and the red connectors at the same time. That is why, if you bought it new, your Modis came with red connectors. And if you bought it used, those connectors were most likely rounded up by the seller.

Comment

• Jadidaskv
                            • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Witsend
                            Meant he's going to ("gonna") check you for guns? Sorry , I hate F@cking Grammar Nazis myself I say we guns have open season on them @ssholes.
                            I wish i could like this a 100 times lol.

I was just playing into his petty grammar nazi bs saying how could his guns check for me cause im the one that said hes guns check for me this weekend.

His grammar nazi comment didnt even make sense. If hes a liberal with anti gun stickers on his truck, how could his guns check for me? Smh. If he wanted to be a grammar nazi, he should have at least said something that at least made a little bit of sense lol.

Oh he meant check me for guns? I read your comment too quick and paid more attention to the great ending lol. Idk, your guess is as good as mine as to what he meant. Neither one of them really makes much sense. I cant stand anti gun liberals and it still was funny.

Comment

• Jadidaskv
                              • Nov 2017

So i never heard back from the snap on dealer that said he was going to see what he has for update cards. Any one know where to find them? Would they be on a cf card or sd card?

Comment

Working...