Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

GM Same Calibration

See the PDF below, GM will no longer allow you to program a module with the same calibration as is already in the module for 2017 and newer. While this might not seem like a problem, I remember times in the past when using a used module such as a radio or ABS module that already has the correct calibration but flashing it is the only method of programming the correct VIN. In the past the warning could be over ridden. I guess we'll see what happens.
    Attached Files
  • Steve6911
    • Feb 2007

Bob

I'm sure you are correct that this is there way of keeping used modules from being reused. Did you also see that come Feb they changed their pricing. It's $15.00 cheaper for guys that use short term subs but screws over the guys with the 1 year sub. New price is $40.00 per Vin. The Vin is unlocked for you for 2 years, but how many times can you flash the same car???

Comment

• tech25
      • Oct 2017

thanks for the post, i agree with you, with my experience with BMW, even though the programming is the same, and no faults, sometimes modules act up, for instance.....wiper blades do not work when in auto mode, programming shows the latest SW but when i do a complete coding and programming, now they work as designed.
      just a example, but sometimes a hard battery reset and re-programming and coding fixes things.

Comment

• Steve6911
        • Feb 2007

Wait a minute..... are you saying BMW's have weird problems????

Comment

• tech25
          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Steve6911
          Wait a minute..... are you saying BMW's have weird problems????
          oh yeah!!! you know years ago when i worked at the BMW dealer, we used a program called progman to program and code modules. half of the fixes was programming. so one day when i was at training i asked a engineer whats the deal with all these updates and why does a new update that fixes a problem now cause a new problem, then a new update for that, and a new problem, and so on and so on.

the answer i got was that BMW, when they built the car had a base program for that model, now when they find a problem they go to that base program and change the code to fix the problem.
          now instead of building upon that known good code and just adding, they always went back to the original code and then had to add each update to build it back to its current level and finally add the fix.

you can see now, someone is tired, on a Friday, adding all the previous updates, and made a mistake on a previous fix, and hence why the new update now causes another problem. because they are like 50 updates backlogged they have to put in from the original code and got sloppy and messed up.

Comment

• Steve6911
            • Feb 2007

I just had a 2006 X3 3.0 this morning codes
            28F2 O2 Sensor (Bank 1) status adjustment Control
            296b O2 sensors after CAT reversed

WHO COMES UP WITH THESE CODES?!?!?!?!?
            Whole problem was B1S2 sensor would drop out to 0.00 volts intermittently.
            Who would even come up with a code that the sensors were reversed???
            Only Euros!

Comment

• Glide
              • Jan 2015

Used GM modules can still be used,even if they have the same calibration as the VIN is different.I've had a rash of BCMs with the cold weather lately and none have failed to program.The last update for my MDI prevents flashing with the same calibration,but not if it is a module from another VIN.

Comment

• Steve6911
                • Feb 2007

Scott
                Is this even on the Global platforms?

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                  • Apr 2011

All I can think is that maybe they'll add a function to just add the VIN??? But it sucks when you want to reflash a PCM just to get something working again. Like throttle body's that won't idle until you reflash the PCM.

Comment

• Glide
                    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Steve6911
                    Scott
                    Is this even on the Global platforms?
                    I flashed a used radio and a HVAC control head on a Buick Verano a while back and had no issues.The download to flashdrive(radio update),then load file through usb port in the car takes a while though.This car had had the radio/Hvac control stolen.
                    Normally I don't see that many Global platform modules failing so far...

Comment

• Steve6911
                      • Feb 2007

Great to know! THANK YOU! I get a decent amount of stolen/recovery’s and wrecks.

Comment

• greasybob
                        • May 2008

So do you think that Drew Tech was just paying a one time annual subscription to GM and doing all their remote RAP programming through this one subscription. I can see why GM changed their pricing to a per VIN fee.

Comment

• Glide
                          • Jan 2015

Originally posted by greasybob
                          So do you think that Drew Tech was just paying a one time annual subscription to GM and doing all their remote RAP programming through this one subscription. I can see why GM changed their pricing to a per VIN fee.
                          It doesn't change until next month,but that's probably one reason.Anyone who has a yearly still has until Feb. to extend their sub.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                            • Apr 2011

Wait, I'm not sure if I'm getting what u guys are saying. GM is changing their programming to per VIN??? Because that would MAJORLY suck!

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                              • Apr 2011

This always happens when people abuse something good. If it was bc of drewtech, I hope GM calls them out.

Comment

Working...