Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • McCalls Garage
    • Jul 2010

Hard drive going out???

So when I boot up the Modis, I hear a clicking sound about the time the screen brings up "MODIS". I had a laptop once that started clicking the same way and I eventually had to replace the hard drive. Is this normal or is it going out. If it is going out what is the repair procedure and est. cost of repair...do I go through my local rep? Thank you for your time
  • leemack
    • Jul 2010

I've only just bought my MODIS new and it does this as well. I can only assume its normal.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
      Snap-on DSD
      • Aug 2007

When the drivers for the Lab Scope load, the relays in the scope module do a rapid cycle test.
      There is no moving drive in the Modis. The hard drive is the CF Card under the left hand grip.

Joe
      "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
      Henry Ford

Comment

• McCalls Garage
        • Jul 2010

Originally posted by leemack
        I've only just bought my MODIS new and it does this as well. I can only assume its normal.
        Thanks for the quick reply and glad the noise seems to be normal

Comment

• McCalls Garage
          • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
          When the drivers for the Lab Scope load, the relays in the scope module do a rapid cycle test.
          There is no moving drive in the Modis. The hard drive is the CF Card under the left hand grip.

Joe
          Cool, Thank you for the quick reply and the insight on the system.

Comment

• crackerclicker
            • May 2008

not that you need any reassurance, but i thought i would mention that my old modis did this also . i almost miss that sound, but i don't miss the modis .

Comment

• Because
              • Jul 2010

I'm new to Modis. I noticed the click during boot as well. I have a question too. My Modis makes a similar rapid clicking noise during power off. It is seemingly the last action before the machine is completely powered off. Is this normal?

Comment

• McCalls Garage
                • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Because
                I'm new to Modis. I noticed the click during boot as well. I have a question too. My Modis makes a similar rapid clicking noise during power off. It is seemingly the last action before the machine is completely powered off. Is this normal?
                Mine does this well, I believe it is the scope "doing its thing"!

Comment

• salvaje07
                  • Jan 2008

Its normal to make those noises while booting up and shutting down. It's a good idea to buy a CF card for the top slot so that you don't fill the primary CF card (that contains your software). I use a 2g card. Also go to system icon, select "easy scroll" and select a charging preference. Also if you get an older car, 80's to 90's, there is "legacy software" section, also in the system icon tab listing, that has the older (red brick) scanner software.

Comment

Working...