Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sledfreek76
    • Jun 2012

VW coverage a waste of $1000.00!!!

Hey all, Dont get the European update for your Modis, Solus etc. It is a waste of your money! VW coverage is poor at best! The vin specific lists are off, specifically a 2001 passat, dont show correct engines 1.4!! available or none at all when the VW Im working on has a 2.8 v6. Very sporadic! non supported functions etc!! Im warning everyone I can from here on, Im very upset I wasted 1000. on an update I cannot use!!!
  • Snap-on_ULTRA
    • Jul 2012

Update is only $400 on snap on truck dealer.

Every scan tool will have its issues, snap on is not perfect but they are getting better and better every year, there is a big difference 11.4 and 12.2, when it comes to euro.

Use legacy software for 2001 and older euro cars it works beter

Comment

• hefaus
      • Dec 2007

Coverage

Originally posted by sledfreek76
      Hey all, Dont get the European update for your Modis, Solus etc. It is a waste of your money! VW coverage is poor at best! The vin specific lists are off, specifically a 2001 passat, dont show correct engines 1.4!! available or none at all when the VW Im working on has a 2.8 v6. Very sporadic! non supported functions etc!! Im warning everyone I can from here on, Im very upset I wasted 1000. on an update I cannot use!!!
      Hi If You want great Vw and Audi consider buying a Autel DS 708. Great coverage and you can buy one for a little more than you say you paid for your euro update.As Well it does Asian and Usa with free updates for one year. Keep Smiling.

Comment

• Snap-on_ULTRA
        • Jul 2012

Originally posted by hefaus
        Hi If You want great Vw and Audi consider buying a Autel DS 708. Great coverage and you can buy one for a little more than you say you paid for your euro update.As Well it does Asian and Usa with free updates for one year. Keep Smiling.
        Solus ultra works better on VW and Audi than Maxidas. I tried both on VW and solus ultra is more user friendly because it will try to explain and guide you to what diagnostics mean. while maxidas does none of that

Comment

• Kaeco
          • Jun 2010

Your best bet is.... http://www.ross-tech.com/ Very inexpensive and the updates are free..

Comment

• David_E39
            • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Snap-on_ULTRA
            Solus ultra works better on VW and Audi than Maxidas. I tried both on VW and solus ultra is more user friendly because it will try to explain and guide you to what diagnostics mean. while maxidas does none of that
            Got the maxidas and the snapon scanner in my opinion I think the snapon is better.

Originally posted by Kaeco
            Your best bet is.... http://www.ross-tech.com/ Very inexpensive and the updates are free..

Have the ross-tech laptop software also it is a great and cheap tool to own but you need to know the abbreviations and all symbols and stuff to use that software.

Comment

• sbreland73
              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Snap-on_ULTRA
              Update is only $400 on snap on truck dealer.
              That is for YOUR tools. Modis, Verdict and Verus cost more to update, and for the Euro package. This is because they have scopes, which include the component test information, and there is the added cost. Your tools just have scanner software.
              S. Breland

Comment

• sledfreek76
                • Jun 2012

even the scope component information is off in the Modis. I used it for diagnosing a speed senor on a passat, it had me looking for 12 volts from the tcm!!! Snap On has its head up its a55 on the info and depth for the price they demand in my opinion! They could do much much better, and have no good support! I called the diagnostic help line and they even admitted it was thin... WOW!!!! Im not puttin another nickle into this pos modis again!

Comment

• sandt38
                  • May 2012

FWIW I have never really seen any errors on the component test, but I rarely use them. But just because there is a single mistake is no reason to bash. I bet you make at least one mistake a day.

Comment

• No-Start
                    • Oct 2006

I have a feeling that it's user error. My scanner shows the 2.8 liter option for engine size. How familiar are you with VW products as they don't "work" the same way as the domestics. They are pretty unique in it they typically use measuring blocks and data groups.

For full functions, you should be using the "Expert Mode". From there, you should be able to access the functions that the factory scanner will. The only difference is that you cannot program with it.

I'm sure there are some errors here and there in the Snap On scanner, especially on the "Vehicle Selection" side that they have created to shield people from the true VW experience and tried to make it similiar to the domestics, but for the most part it works well.

I'm pretty confident that it's lack of familiarity with the brand that is causing the fustration and not the tool.

As far as the Maxidas is concerned, it's a horrible scanner for VW. And it falls short in many other aspects. I would not consider it a replacement for the Snap On scanner.

No-Start.

Comment

• Jay G.
                      Administrator
                      • Dec 2006

even the scope component information is off in the Modis. I used it for diagnosing a speed senor on a passat, it had me looking for 12 volts from the tcm!!! Snap On has its head up its a55 on the info and depth for the price they demand in my opinion! They could do much much better, and have no good support! I called the diagnostic help line and they even admitted it was thin... WOW!!!! Im not puttin another nickle into this pos modis again!
                      What was the year, system and test you were looking at in component test for the Passat?

Comment

• Steve6911
                        • Feb 2007

Arthur

No Start is correct in what he is saying, I have 3 different Snap-on platforms, VCDS and the MaxiDas, each one has its good and bad points. As stated Expert Mode will let you do just about anything you need to do, however you need to be an EXPERT to use it. You can do a lot of damage with the push of a button. VW/Audi is much different from most other vehicles so as stated it MAY be user error. However when posting a problem much more information is needed...Year, Make, Model, engine code and VIN. Also exactly what you were doing or trying to do when the problem occured, what screen you were on etc etc. The software developers need to try and duplicate the problem to see whats wrong. The more information you can give the better. So if possible PLEASE post this info and we may find a solution to your problem.

Steve

Comment

• sledfreek76
                          • Jun 2012

ok... ive got more info in regards to the Modis having errors, for came across another error similiar to the vw vin mode. this time its a BMW x6 50i with a 4.4L After I enter the VIN it comes up with 2 choices for eng! mine is the E71 vin is 5UXFG835X8LZ91647 the eng. choice does not have the 4.4L! it has has a 3.0L and 4.8L wrong!!!? again the Modis software is wrong. So if I proceed, the data is off, the codes are off etc. USELESS!!! if I attempt the auto scan, it asks for the s28 key then comes up with an error, then asks for the s44 key to the same wrong engine choice. Again the update, Modis is off. Hard to diagnose a vehicle when the tool is useless..... and it is NOT user error! Ive been twisting wrenches for 30 years, and ASE master certified. I know how to use equipment properly! A total of 5000 invested into this scanner and I cant use it reliably on European cars....

Comment

• tailwhip
                            • Sep 2012

Hello all, new to the forum. After seeing Steve's post I thought I'd share my recent experience. I was working on an Audi A4 quattro 1.8l that came in for a p0441 code. In following the TSB that applies(#240878 12/04/2008) I was able to use the expert mode to actuate the purge valve and that went well. The next step in the bulletin was to do a short trip test and I couldn't find a way in after entering basic tests/006 to do the short trip test.

We called Mobil Reflash and he has the ross-tech. So at the end of the day he came by to see how far he could get and after entering the basic settings then 006 he had a dropdown menu that has the evap test(correct test?) and in a few minutes it passed. I tried again to find the test and no dice. I'm pretty sure it's not in the Modis but if it is let me know. We have the 11.4 software and of course the euro pack.

Instead of updating the software we are in the process of trading in for a Verus, fyi. We don't do a lot of VW work here but there's a few that come in the door. Anyway thanks for reading.

Comment

• Marcellin
                              • Jul 2011

Modis VW updates

Hi everyone. Just got the 12.2 update for my Modis, hoping it would finally list the 2.0 TDI CJAA for the Golf 2010, but still no listing. A little disappointed after spending $ 1000 for the update! Hope the 12.4 will at last cover the 2010-11 models !!!

Comment

Working...