• sbreland73
    • Jan 2009

XP Updates

And for the folks who were concerned about product support:

20141015-0711-1.jpg
    S. Breland
  • Scott_65
    • Mar 2012

Any suggestion what to do about java updates? The latest versions now all pop up errors that you need a newer version of Windows. It allows you to continue, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before something gets glitchy, or it won't continue updating anymore. Websites will have issues. But the biggest concern I can see at the moment is GM reflashing, as it relies on java to run the acdelco software

Comment

• sbreland73
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Scott_65
      Any suggestion what to do about java updates? The latest versions now all pop up errors that you need a newer version of Windows. It allows you to continue, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before something gets glitchy, or it won't continue updating anymore. Websites will have issues. But the biggest concern I can see at the moment is GM reflashing, as it relies on java to run the acdelco software
      I would suggest using a separate laptop for re-flashing.
      S. Breland

Comment

• Scott_65
        • Mar 2012

I was afraid thats what you were going to say. Thats what I used to do. But then the laptop went out, as did the original snapon Passthru. I purchased a Bosch VCI, which came with a laptop (VERY underpowered, maybe worse than the verus). I had nothing but problems with it. Usually driver issues for some reason. I was in a hurry one day to flash one for a customer so I decided to try the Verus and it worked flawlessly. So I've stuck with it. Never was able to fix the laptop driver issues and buying another one dedicated to reflashing is yet another expense to throw in the mix, on top of the 10k scanner I purchased last. It just keeps adding up. I know you have to spend money to make it. BUT, you also have to make it to spend it.

Long story short, it would be nice, since snapon advertises it as "pass thru capable", that it stays that way. Hopefully the java/windows incompatability doesn't become a hindrance to that. On the other hand, my other thread on here talking about Shopkey Pro, that HAS become an issue. Snapon HAS advertised this 10k scanner to work with shopkey from within the atlas program, and it just nearly doesn't. It's so slow and resource demanding, that it pretty well locks the system down. Pretty aggravating.

Comment

• sbreland73
          • Jan 2009

The real point of my thread was to show that Microsoft is still rolling out updates/patches for the XP Embedded system, despite the confusion as to when "support" will end. I understand your frustration, but I still recommend a separate laptop, with separate partitions for certain manufactures flash software. You can pick up a well powered model for $300 to $400. Our shop has one that has four partitions, 1 has IDS, Hyundai/Kia, Nissan and Toyota. 2 has Jaguar & Land Rover. 3 has Honda/Acura. 4 has Chrysler & Mazda.
          S. Breland

Comment

Working...