Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • glen
    • Nov 2007

Gm Airbag

The car is a 2011 malibu. This is collision car hit on driver side. Replaced both front pretensioners+ SDM then performed sdm handshake. module comes up with both right and left rear pretensioner faults. the codes are B0032 B0039. This car has no rear pretensioners that are controlled by Sdm. Codes are not listed in alldata, called alldata they could find no codes with those numbers. these codes were in the old module as well. I did id the car as 2010 but it seems to be communicating fine. If you google the code nationial highway saftey lists those codes as a tsb in their format but they dont have any info on it and leads to dead ends.Im running verus w/ 11.2.2 Any help would be appreciated, thank you
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

I know the answer to this, I think, Look at the lower corner of the seat, door side where the seat belt is anchored, There is a second pretensioner there. Most of the 2010 and 2011 GMs that Ive seen have them.

Comment

• USpMD
      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by glen
      The car is a 2011 malibu. This is collision car hit on driver side. Replaced both front pretensioners+ SDM then performed sdm handshake. module comes up with both right and left rear pretensioner faults. the codes are B0032 B0039. This car has no rear pretensioners that are controlled by Sdm. Codes are not listed in alldata, called alldata they could find no codes with those numbers. these codes were in the old module as well. I did id the car as 2010 but it seems to be communicating fine. If you google the code nationial highway saftey lists those codes as a tsb in their format but they dont have any info on it and leads to dead ends.Im running verus w/ 11.2.2 Any help would be appreciated, thank you
      I suspect you did not preform setup, there are two steps
      If the SDM is replaced or requires reprogramming, the following procedures must be performed in the specified order:

•Setup SDM-- Using a scan tool, go to Vehicle Control Systems » Computer/Integrating Systems » Module Setup » Supplemental Inflatable Restraint. Select Setup New SDM and follow the on-screen instructions.
      •Setup SDM Part Number in BCM -- Using a scan tool, go to Vehicle Control Systems » Computer/Integrating Systems » Module Setup » Supplemental Inflatable Restraint. Select Setup SDM Part Number in BCM and follow the on-screen instructions.

Some of these also require SPS programing from GM site, YOU DID NOT PROVIDE A VIN# , this is needed to identify if SPS programing is required, these DTCs you provided do not fit this vehicle, per WSM the Malibu is not equipped with rear pretensioners, however it is equipped with Driver Seat Belt Retractor Pretensioner--Located under the trim near the bottom of the center pillar on the driver side of vehicle, Passenger Seat Belt Retractor Pretensioner--Located under the trim near the bottom of the center pillar on the passenger side of vehicle, they also have Driver & Passenger Seat Belt Tensioner Assembly , located on lower outer side of seat track assy. Make sure you have replaced all required parts, Hope this helps
      "I wanna help the helpless, but I could careless about the clueless". Dennis Miller

Comment

• gmworldclass
        • Oct 2010

You are right the sdm need reprogramming and then the set up.
        It has Anchor Pretensioner too

Comment

• greasybob
          • May 2008

I should add too that it has been my experience that if only the pretensioners have deployed, the SDM will reset and should not have to be replaced.

Comment

• glen
            • Nov 2007

All set

Ok you guys were right there is a second pretensioner covered by the bottom of the seat. I guess this is considered the rear tensioner, I was hung up in thinking rear was referring to rear seat . It is strange that these codes are not even listed in the gm site, nevermind alldata. No wiring diagrams were I could have possibly seen the second tensioner as well. I guess lack of info sometimes comes with working on brand new cars. Anyways my garage has a bodyshop as well and the insurance writer wrote in the Sdm so you have to replace anything that is written, the next one I will try leaving old Sdm , you are probably right though I just did a Honda pilot that only had pretensioners deployed and no module replacement neccasary. It seems I did set this module up correctly though no problems or codes in sdm and bcm. Thanks again guys, and greasybob I like the videos!

Comment

• samsmith
              • Jul 2011

what if you have encounter this technical service bulletins 175494, what should be the best thing to do for this?

Comment

• 95riceeater
                • Jun 2016

Sorry to bring up this thread but I need some help... 2011 Malibu i had the recalls for the brackets and pre tensioners done on it at the dealership and when they gave the car back the airbag light was on. They keep telling me that it was on before they performed the recalls on it and I know for sure that it wasn't. My warranty won't cover it and they don't want to take responsibility for it. They are telling me it needs the SDM replaced and its throwing the code DTC B1000. What should I do? Can I take the SDM out and have it reset or reprogrammed? They're wanting $925 to fix it and I'm not paying that.

Comment

• Steve6911
                  • Feb 2007

Yes, a B1000 will most likely need an SDM replacement. If you are 100% sure the light NEVER came on before the recall was performed call GM customer service and file a complaint. Is it listed on your invoice that the light was on before any work was performed?

Steve

Comment

• 95riceeater
                    • Jun 2016

I'm very sure the light was not on. I have the invoice prior to when they requested I take it back in to have the recalls done on it which was 2 weeks before they scheduled me to bring it back in that has the full inspection with no light on. On the invoice they gave me after the recalls were performed says that the light was on before the recalls and still on but this happened while it was there. Spoke with the service manager and he said they can't work on it before doing a full inspection on it. There's just something fishy going on here and I need that light fixed

Comment

• Steve6911
                      • Feb 2007

Then call GM customer service and file a complaint

Comment

• Witsend
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2012

The airbag modue have any built in connection with On Star System that would put attach a snap shot of the time and date, ambient temp etc the SRS code set? Why would a dealer tech even begin to perform a recall if the SRS light was on beforehand until it was documented and the customer was advised about the SRS light was on before the recall is done , not after the fact.

Comment

• 95riceeater
                          • Jun 2016

Called GM, they've been trying to get ahold of the manager at the dealership where I had it serviced with no luck. Today I went up there and asked for the manager and I spoke to one of the main managers but not the dealership manager. He said they'd go through it again to see why it's on and if it has anything to do with the recalls they did (both seat belt tensioners and pretensioners) that they would go ahead and fix it. I explained that it was not on when I took it in until I picked it up and their answer, " we fix these recalls on a daily basis, that light has nothing to do with the SDM. We changed the pretensioners and tensioner cables that are a-ways from the SDM. We did nothing to the SDM so more than likely you're going to have to pay to get it fixed. I continued to argue that it's part of the airbag system that it's all linked together and changing the pretensioners could have triggered the light to come on. We ended up scheduling another appointment for next week and if it's nothing to do with that they fixed they said they're going to call GM and use the
                          " GM Goodwill program" so I will only have to pay some of what it'll cost to fix. But from all the research I've done online I've seen that changing those pretensioners might require to reset or reprogram the SDM.

Comment

• Witsend
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2012

Maybe the battery wasn't even disconnected before proceeding with the work and the key was actually left on the whole time while the tech was blowing beer f@rts in your car (to give it that new GM car smell) and cranking your stereo and ran the battery flat, then had a boost charger on it when he was trying to erase the codes

Comment

Working...