Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sandt38
    • May 2012

2002 Chrysler 300M TPMS

Sorry about these lame questions, but I have never bothered doing TPMS work before. So please bear with me.

So we got a car in that had TPMS showing 0psi in the LR. All the others showed 33psi, including the spare, which is odd because I have no TPMS sensor in the spare. I look at my TPMS data and see that all 5 sensors were trained, and I see serial numbers for all wheels except for my LF sensor, who's value is 0. Yes, it showed 0PSI in the LR, but the LF sensor showed 0 for the sensor serial #. All values were 45*****. So we try to train the the TPMS through the overhead console, place the magnet of the LF sensor and let her rip. It keeps aborting. So I figure we have a bad TPMS sensor. We tear down the tire and it is broken. I get a new one in last night, train the car with it's number 08****** It automatically assigns a different # 13******. I think WTF? So we go to train and start at LF and it beeped, go to right front and nothing. So I pull the tire down, snag the sensor number and tried to input it 04*****. It does not reassign a number and will not learn it. So I assume that all 4 sensors are dead. They had 2 more in stock, so I am dead in the water until tomorrow, and when I programmed them I get new numbers 13******. I haven't trained the car, but I am sure I was right and when the 4th is in they will learn.

Am I right?

Next, for the spare. If I input 00000000 will it ignore the spare? Will it allow me to complete the relearn? Should I, perhaps, just not retrain the spare, and will it complete the relearn. Please don't tell me I am going to have to get another sensor for the spare...
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

If you look at the TPMS functional or systems menu there might be an option to change the vehicle from a 5 tire tpms system to a 4 tire tpms system. I've seen this before, just can't remember which vehicles have it. As far as registration numbers go, I've found that the TPMS monitor (whichever device collects and stores the info) will often show the last valid data that was programmed to or recieved from that tire position, what you see on your scanner or on the vehicle info display is not always the correct or current data. It's best to have a tool such as the TPMS 3 to read the sensors directly and then compare that data to what your scanner or the vehicle info display shows. If the vehicle is in 4 tire TPMS mode, the fifth tire registration will usually read FFFFFFFFF

Comment

• sandt38
      • May 2012

Thanks Bob

Comment

• Crusty
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by greasybob
        If you look at the TPMS functional or systems menu there might be an option to change the vehicle from a 5 tire tpms system to a 4 tire tpms system. I've seen this before, just can't remember which vehicles have it. As far as registration numbers go, I've found that the TPMS monitor (whichever device collects and stores the info) will often show the last valid data that was programmed to or recieved from that tire position, what you see on your scanner or on the vehicle info display is not always the correct or current data. It's best to have a tool such as the TPMS 3 to read the sensors directly and then compare that data to what your scanner or the vehicle info display shows. If the vehicle is in 4 tire TPMS mode, the fifth tire registration will usually read FFFFFFFFF
        I remember reading somewhere in the Chrysler systems that some vehicles only show 3 sensors specifically identified and the ECM then knows that the 4th one is on the 4th wheel. I think it depends on the vehicle option level. I did see that once but the value wasn't 0 for any of the 4 wheels so I didn't need to go any further.

Comment

• sandt38
          • May 2012

Originally posted by Crusty
          I remember reading somewhere in the Chrysler systems that some vehicles only show 3 sensors specifically identified and the ECM then knows that the 4th one is on the 4th wheel. I think it depends on the vehicle option level. I did see that once but the value wasn't 0 for any of the 4 wheels so I didn't need to go any further.
          If that is the case then hopefully with a 5 sensor system I will be OK without one in the trunk. We'll see today. I'll report back with my findings.

Comment

• sandt38
            • May 2012

Well FWIW I needed 3 sensors in this car, but I ordered 4. I fooled the cluster into believing it had all 5 by using the spare with the unused sensor and sent it back. Oddly only the first sensor altered the number, not all the others. By tricking the spare it just accepted it as being there and did not report the value. So no issue, but I could not kill the 5th sensor with 00000000 of ffffffff.

Thanks for taking the time, fellas.

Comment

Working...