X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crusty
    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Modis500
    Crusty,

Finally got to use the MT290 today. Wondering why I didn't have one of these 10 years ago. Used it on a VW 1.8T today, found all 4 good, pinpointed it to a coil harness that was burnt. Just wanted to pass this along, that simply because a tool is years old, they can still be quite useful. Yes, these scan tools do so much more than they used to, but it's still on us to interpret the data and info properly, and when we're confused about that, go back to the hands-on approach that "shows" you what the component is doing. Any other old tools you want to recommend that are still quite relevant in todays world?
    I remembered that you asked about any "other" tools that are still relevant in today's world.
    Well here's something that I've been using for about a decade or more....
    Tilting the GM mini-vans forward for access to the rear spark plugs requires a "tilt strap" that is still called for on the older Venture and Montana vans, along with the newer Uplanders and Pontiac mini-vans and a few others.
    Instead of popping 130 bananas for the Kent-Moore J-41131 tilt strap, just use a turn-buckle, or two if you have them.....I'm sure if you looked you could find turn-buckles used on 16th century British Sailing ships....LOL
    These are about 7-bucks apiece at the local hardware store.
    A prime example of back to BASICS-!!! Saved me well over a hundred dollars and achieves EXACTLY the same result. Solid metal turnbuckles and hooks/eyes is also probably safer than a cinch strap that could slip.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

Turn Buckles a good idea

I Think in the past I may have tried accessing plugs underneath van including Questionable methods of lowering the sub frame at rear a few inches , or taking front dog bone strut mounts out and the front sub frame bolts out lowering the front of sub frame to drop and tilt down at front, then using Jumbo Slip joint pliers between the engine side dog bone mount bolts to a bolt head on radiator support to pull engine closer and use a short chain from the engine dog bone bolt to adjacent radiator support bolt area and just thread the radiator support bolt through eye of chain while holding with jumbo channel lock.
      Last edited by Witsend; 04-30-2014, 07:44 AM.

Comment

• sandt38
        • May 2012

I have a pair of 1/4 inch plates I drilled out to do the same thing. I leave the mounts on the core support, put a bolt through them just like the stock mounts, and rock the engine back to install the mount bolts on the engine. Works well and cost me nothing.

Comment

Working...