Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve95
    • Oct 2014

Modis cf card problems

Does anyone know how to access the files on my modis cf card? the. 12.4 software on the card is corrupt, the modis boots up and loads, but doesn't run correctly. I went to my local dealer today, and his laptop and card reader doesn't recognise the card, although I the modis does? I think if we can access the card, we should be able to recover the software. Any ideas anyone? can anyone recommend a free software recovery program? Thanks
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

SSDD Same Sh@t Different Day

I don't know why Snap On wont allow you to make a back up CF card that will work or even allow you to put in a used CF card off E-bay from another parted out Snap On Scanner as long as the used Card being installed in it at the same software level or lower than the one you last paid for and registered to the unit.

see link below to read this older thread, then ask your dealer politely if he can perform a device recovery at it's present software level. My guess is he probably act like he never heard about it because it's frustratingly time consuming. I figure they wouldn't have this happening , and having to lie to us that it has to be sent in to see what's wrong with it if we could just make a good working backup card that will work if you need it like you can with a cheaper Chinese MaxiPad, however to be fair you are not able to simply swap a card from one Chinese scanner to another one either, but you can make a new backup card that will work in the event the other is lost or gets corrupted. I wonder how many guys would not have bought a Chinese scanner and held onto their Snappy Ones because of fear of a big $ repair for lack of a backup CF card that might have fixed the issues they were having.

Last edited by Witsend; 11-10-2014, 01:04 PM.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
      Snap-on DSD
      • Aug 2007

There are only 3 ways out of this that I know of.
      \
      1) Have the Dealer connect it to scanbay and recover the card (it sounds like that didn't work though.

2) Call Tech Support and have a copy of your last software update receipt handy. They can send you a new CF.

3) Buy the next update, but not a scanbay one. Buy the new CF update.

Joe
      "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
      Henry Ford

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

I think the Reps shouldn't have to spend uncompensated time trying to recover old data from old cards. I think there could be money to be made by hundreds of techs that would pay $200 each and love to have new CF cards for their glitchy older scanners that have older versions of software on them and a lot of software holes ,updated to 14.4 to fill holes in the old software versions or they may soon jump ship for a new Chinese Scanner versus paying a whopping grand for updating something that might still be glitchy and need to be sent in for repair. I say charge us $200 each Let the Reps install 14.4 on the new cards and lock the software coverage at the year of the old software version coverage year like European coverage is there but needs to be unlocked. These disgruntled techs for a minimum cost will see just how much more they can do on those older cars now, the scanner seems to works much faster without glitches , so no need for a new Chinese scanner anymore , I'm happy but just need more model year coverage on the Snappy , so I guess I'll pay the Rep the rest of the cash to unlock the later model year coverage of 14.4

Comment

• Crusty
          • Dec 2007

1st rule of computers.... R.T.F.S.

2nd rule of computers..... Back It Up....

A tech PAYS for a FUNCTIONING machine (software included-!!! or it isn't "functioning")

Allow them to make an archive copy tied to their machine so they can restore what they already PAID for..... a functioning machine.

Naaaaaw, that would allow then to ethically restore what they already paid for......

Better to squeeze 'em for a little bit more, every chance we can....

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

RTFS ? a) Read the F'n Screen
            b) Restore the F'n System
            c) Ruin the F'n Screen
            d) Replace the F'n Scanner

Comment

• Steve95
              • Oct 2014

This is what we were trying to do last night, a system restore but the software didn't even read the card! Although he did try to go through the procedure of UPDATING the cards with newer software and could read the card no problem... Hmm.I have fixed it now, with the modis came a cf card still in the original wrapper, so I inserted this to see what would happen.... Turns out it's 9.4 and installing this has everything working perfectly again. I did have the snap on man try to read all the cards I have including the. 9.4 one and none of them read.... Tried in my own card reader at home and didn't get anything, rather have 9.4 than f**k all lol.
              This is the problem, why spend £1500 on an update (he said I would need to buy 2 as it's on 12.4 lol) when I could get hold of a autel for that money, or even a used modis ultra worth newer software! Snap on are being left behind by overpriced old hat technology with limited European coverage. Over here in the UK droves of mechanics are dropping snap on for Chinese scanners that work better for our market. Me and the wife recently were looking for a new car and visited at least 25 garages and every one I asked what they use, all of them used to have snap on and now the majority use launch or autocom. Keep going snap on, while you rest on your branding, the Chinese are getting better and better.
              I bought a used modis for the built in scope and if I am honest the brand, the hand tools are second to none, surely the diagnostic tools are just as good? Well I am starting to think otherwise.

Comment

• Witsend
                Banned
                • Nov 2012

Glad you got Modis going again. With the Chinese just copying the OE software I'm thinking in just a few more years all the scanner software is just going to be built into the vehicles themselves and on lower end vehicles without touchscreen displays you'll just need a USB touch screen tablet to navigate the on board diagnostic module

. Customers will have to pay to unlock their car diagnostic modules if they want to have the cars serviced by the aftermarket after the warranties are up , or shops will have to get paid subscriptions . If Snappy is still in the game then , it will be only on the troubleshooting and diagnostic guidance side of it.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                  Snap-on DSD
                  • Aug 2007

If you can produce your receipt for the update, or have your dealer print it for you, you can get the card replaced. Probably for free.
                  "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
                  Henry Ford

Comment

• keith3069
                    • Oct 2018

copy cf card

please look at this link a copy can be done using lynux

Comment

Working...