Valid Cartridge/Key Combo for Dodge Transmission?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • texasprd
    • Jan 2008

Valid Cartridge/Key Combo for Dodge Transmission?

Hello, all;

This is my first post on here, so please forgive any missteps. I searched the forum, and didn't find anything that looked like my issue.

I'm a DIYer - I've got a MT2500, with red cartridges through '99 and programmable cartridges through '03. I've got a '96 Dodge 2500 (diesel) with the 47RE transmission. With either set of cartridges, and either a K13 or K13A key, I cannot get valid readings on some of the transmission data points. For instance, the temperature value is always 14663 degrees - even in KOEO mode. (its not a bad sensor, though, as I get appropriate values with my old OTC Enhanced Monitor - ambient temp when KOEO, normal temps when driving).

I have heard from my favorite transmission shop (which has a stellar reputation) that Dodge transmissions and Snap-On scan tools (maybe other brands, too) did not play well together for a while. Does anyone know of a cartridge/key combo that delivers valid readings on all the transmission data points, or do I need to look for a Modis (and what software version?)?

Thanks for any help/insight you can give!!
    Last edited by texasprd; 10-30-2014, 11:15 PM.
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

I started stompin from day one

Welcome , no need to be apologetic, probably a software hole . I have a MT2500 with black programmable cartridge with European through 2005 and I was working on an old OBD1 93 Buick Skylark, and I caused a couple history codes and could not find an option in the codes menu to clear the codes, and had to disconnect the battery to do it. Never the less you'll have to pry MT2500 from my cold dead hand before I'll give it up , unless you but a cold MGD in my other.

Comment

• texasprd
      • Jan 2008

Thanks, Wits!

If it is a software hole, does anyone have an idea when it was corrected?

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

If there was still a MT2500 software hole for a 96 Dodge Diesel For trans temp on a 7 year old truck , I'm sure it wasn't on a Priority list for a fix to it 10 or 15 years later.
        My guess in 2002 much of the software writers resources were being used to fill security holes on the New Solus, Modis, Vantage Pro, etc., where technicians would no longer be able to buy, sell , or swap cartridges , let alone , even make a back up of an old CF card and hence we became SOLus.
        Now With all the Chinese competition in the scanner market, guys get more and more pissed off about software holes now when an apprentice got something from Harbor Freight that can fill the hole , but you now got to be his missing Troubleshooter, because he let you borrow his scanner.
        I'm sure the TOT reads fine on Snap On s later scanners with graphing, but if I find any Rusty Trusty 96 Dodge Pickup that's not in the junkyard yet with a toasted trans , I'll hook up my MT2500 with programmable card up to 2005 and checkout The Tater-TOT to see if it's done or not.
        Last edited by Witsend; 11-01-2014, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Working...