X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick_Taylor
    Administrator
    • Jan 2014

SureTrack Users General Discussion

This is the place for general discussion. Please read the following guidelines before posting.

Consider this a community of professionals and please try to act that way so that we don't have any troubles. Feel free to discuss automotive topics, tools, business, hobbies (legal non-controversial ones), the weather, interesting customers and such. No talk about politics or religion and please do not post jokes or inappropriate content. We will be moderating this closely. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.
    SureTrack Community Administrator, Diagnostics forum Administrator.
  • Nick_Taylor
    Administrator
    • Jan 2014

This is basically a running chat area. Users coming from OnDemand5 and ShopKey5 will be familiar with this format.

If you'd prefer to use separate topics for General Discussion, let me know.

Nick.

Comment

• greasybob
      • May 2008

I've never had a catalytic convertor so plugged the vehicle would not at least idle. What made this one even stranger is that the customer reported that they just left the driveway and about a half mile down the road the vehicle quit. Made a house call to go check it out and noticed a code P0108. Maybe the MAP died, Baro reading 28.9, normal, unplugged MAP and it would barely idle. Did finally get it to idle with MAP plugged in , only 2 inches of vacuum and of course it's dumping fuel, 10ms injector pulse. a few attempts at restarting and I could see the MAP dropping a little and only momentary before it would stall. I removed the Down Stream 02 sensor first. IT IDLES !!! and there's manifold vacuum. I can even rev it up a little. A little more investigation. That catalytic convertor broke up and plugged up the muffler. That explains sudden loss of power. Vehicle is an 06 Buick Rendezvous with a 3.5
      Attached Files

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

I like to start closest to the engine removing one or both upstream O2 sensors of the precats. If only one upstream O2 sensor, the EGR valve might comes off instead if easier and I put a tapered plastic plug over the intake side hole and run it and rev it up to see if it runs and breathes better. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES and shield vulnerable things including hands and face and stand out of the way of any Volcanic Ash jettison.LOL.

Comment

• greasybob
          • May 2008

Do it your selfers, the code reader sitting on the front seat should have been a dead give away. The complaint "ever since I changed my rear brakes I have a grinding noise". No problem, just a bent heat shield. But a closer inspection and...... Well you know those copper washers you get with the new calipers, just use them at your own discretion, you know, where ever they fit. And that whole left caliper, right caliper thing, they all bolt up the same. If you can get those bled out ........
          Attached Files

Comment

• greasybob
            • May 2008

Farm trucks !
            Attached Files

Comment

• Crusty
              • Dec 2007

Makes you wonder why this has been going on for decades, doesn't it-??
              Crud from farm tanks doesn't play nice with vehicles of any age, even the old carbureted ones.

Comment

• greasybob
                • May 2008

After market equipment. The vehicle, a 2005 F150 comes in with a headlight complaint. It seems that the headlights, both high and low beams, work as long as the vehicle is NOT running. Turn the key on to the run position or start the engine, and all goes dead except the marker and brake lights. Even the Flash To Pass doesn't work with the key on. Customer informs me that he already replaced the Headlight switch and the Multifunction switch with no results. Hmmmmm? Check power to the fuses in the central junction box, fuse 35 powers both high beams, no.25 the left low and 23 the right low. Each fuse seems to have power when the appropriate headlamps are commanded with either the key on or the key off. Maybe I have a ground issue with the headlamps, something overloading with the key on. Best to go check the power at the headlamps themselves. Open the hood, look down at the connectors, oooohh, what's this? The headlamp connectors have a splice connector at both lamps. The customer is still here so I ask him, "Did this vehicle ever have a snow plow on it?" I saw his face turn red. It seems he keeps the remote for the plow in the pocket behind the driver's seat and at about the same time the headlight issue came up he had stuffed a phone book in the pocket which, as you guessed it, had bumped the switch on the remote that commands the plow headlamps to come on instead of the truck headlamps. The plow controller is only active when the ignition is on.
                Last edited by greasybob; 09-27-2014, 05:46 PM.

Comment

• greasybob
                  • May 2008

Just to follow up on the Rendezvous with the plugged exhaust. Before making any cuts into the exhaust I decided to put my BK8000 camera up into the downstream 02 hole to see what the cat looked like. If it came loose I should see chunks. No chunks, it looked intact. Maybe the muffler collapsed on itself, so I made a cut right in front of the muffler. Critters !!!! The pipe was full of corn as was the muffler. When the customer got on the gas it must have all blown up into a pile in there and plugged up tight. I know that there are flex fuel vehicles out there but usually you distill the corn first.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Witsend
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2012

Guess it didn't warm up long enough to pop the corn .To me, It looks like I see skeletal rodent remains in that pile of corn too, So you know it's no Country Boy Prank

I figure if it had been a human prank like shoving bananas up a tailpipe , it would be a lot more effective and more up to date to just use a can of that spray foam expanding insulation with a hose attached and just fill up the muffler with it.
                    BTW , what's the last picture of?

Comment

• greasybob
                      • May 2008

The second picture is the back of the catalytic convertor taken from the inside with the spy-cam.

Comment

• Witsend
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2012

Looking at that picture of the Cat Substrate initially played tricks on my eyes , where I once saw what appeared to be a solid surface with raised protrusions , now I can clearly see the holes in the cat sub straight, Duh.

" We look through shaded eyes and can't define the lines..."
                        Last edited by Witsend; 10-01-2014, 08:03 AM.

Comment

• CaptEuro
                          • Jun 2014

Nick (Admin)
                          I need your email. Have a question only can answer.. Thanks

Comment

• Nick_Taylor
                            Administrator
                            • Jan 2014

Originally posted by CaptEuro
                            Nick (Admin)
                            I need your email. Have a question only can answer.. Thanks
                            od5admin@mitchell1.com

Comment

• greasybob
                              • May 2008

Did you ever see a brake rotor that collapsed on its self ? The center rusted out and was crushed. Maybe I'll keep this one around to help sell more brake rotors. Pads only ? Nope, At your own risk. The vehicle is an 04 Sprinter, front brakes, pads at 75%. The other side not far behind.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...