Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimbo4822
    • Mar 2014

Verus Edge

Hello, I will be trading my Verdict for a used Edge in a few weeks. I was looking through the manual and noticed that the scope leads for Chanel 3 and 4 are unshielded leads. Would there be any problem if I were to use something like the Aeswave test drive leads which are all shielded?
    Also has any one peeked inside the edge yet? I am thinking i may want a larger ssd. There is a free program called speccy that will give you all of the hardware specs of a pc so then it would be easier to research compatible hardware to buy for any upgrades. I am thinking about more memory as well. I know i shouldnt even think about opening up the tool but its what id do for fun, bit of a computer geek.

Thanks
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Post the link to a You tube Video with a Go Fund Me link, just in case you do Brick it and be out 4K, you might be able raise enough sympathy funds after folk stop laughing to get yourself a used Port Freight 08.
    However if you have great success Modifying a Verus Edge, the go Fund me link might be able to Fund your next video disassembly of a Zeuss with some Homemade Rap music playing for the sound track . We can all address you as Docta Zuess.

Comment

• Steve6911
      • Feb 2007

I have the Test drive leads and they are great but.... they are 10 feet long so they can get in the way at times. I never had a problem with the unshielded leads.

Steve

Comment

• Bob's Garage
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Steve6911
        I have the Test drive leads and they are great but.... they are 10 feet long so they can get in the way at times. I never had a problem with the unshielded leads.

Steve
        Same here. At $100 a pop, I only use my test drive leads on test drives. No need to have that extra cable getting cooked or caught in a pulley.

Never had an issue with CH 3 &4 leads either.

Comment

• GypsyR
          • Jul 2017

I opened my Verdict to swap in a solid state hard drive and double the onboard ram. Not that big a deal for an experienced PC geek. No reason you couldn't mess around similarly in a Verus. But...we have Zeus in the shop that seems run about the same as our Verus Edge. I'd say it probably isn't worth messing with. The Verdict really needed some help in the speed department, I don't think there are any real gains to be had in a Verus Edge. Or at least any worth the trouble. Tool guy wants me to trade in my Verdict for that Verus. If I do then I will upgrade the Verus whether it needs it or not because hotrodding stuff is what I do. Can't help myself.

Comment

• Wheel
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by jimbo4822
            Hello, I will be trading my Verdict for a used Edge in a few weeks. I was looking through the manual and noticed that the scope leads for Chanel 3 and 4 are unshielded leads. Would there be any problem if I were to use something like the Aeswave test drive leads which are all shielded?
            Also has any one peeked inside the edge yet? I am thinking i may want a larger ssd. There is a free program called speccy that will give you all of the hardware specs of a pc so then it would be easier to research compatible hardware to buy for any upgrades. I am thinking about more memory as well. I know i shouldnt even think about opening up the tool but its what id do for fun, bit of a computer geek.

Thanks
            32 bit system, so you may be stuck with the memory, but I totally agree on the hard drive capacity. Have a 1 tb ssd in my original Verus. 64 gb is just too small, about 250 gb should be minimum. No point in having a Windows platform tool if you don't have room to install other programs and data to help you with your work.
            You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Wheel
              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Bob's Garage
              Same here. At $100 a pop, I only use my test drive leads on test drives. No need to have that extra cable getting cooked or caught in a pulley.

Never had an issue with CH 3 &4 leads either.
              I like having both sets of leads - there are times you sure need the extra length, but if you don't - you're right, it can get in the way.
              You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• MerschATX
                • Nov 2017

Why not just use an external ssd for extra storage? The Verus Edge at least has the USB ports on the side.

Comment

• phill57
                  • Oct 2007

Solid State HD

Originally posted by GypsyR
                  I opened my Verdict to swap in a solid state hard drive and double the onboard ram. Not that big a deal for an experienced PC geek. No reason you couldn't mess around similarly in a Verus. But...we have Zeus in the shop that seems run about the same as our Verus Edge. I'd say it probably isn't worth messing with. The Verdict really needed some help in the speed department, I don't think there are any real gains to be had in a Verus Edge. Or at least any worth the trouble. Tool guy wants me to trade in my Verdict for that Verus. If I do then I will upgrade the Verus whether it needs it or not because hotrodding stuff is what I do. Can't help myself.
                  Sorry but the search feature on this forum does not seem to be working. Can you tell me what type of HD the Edge uses. I know this has been done and I have done the Verus Pro but I'm not sure if they use the same HD

Comment

• Witsend
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2012

Sorry but the search feature on this forum does not seem to be working. Can you tell me what type of HD the Edge uses. I know this has been done and I have done the Verus Pro but I'm not sure if they use the same HD
                    If you are signed in , Look directly below the search bar with the white box and you'll see a smaller word search. Try clicking on that. I don't know what a Security Token is but someone must be Tokin on something over there.

Comment

• jimbo4822
                      • Mar 2014

I got the edge last week, the hard drive is a 64 gig ssd with the msata interface. This interface never really took off and most small ssd's now use the pcie interface. The msata drives are relativly expensive. I just got a fast micro sd card and mapped all the shopstream files to that.

The mother board does show two memory slots available with only one used at 2 gigs memory. 2 gigs is low for windows 7 but it is an embedded version of win 7 so it probably has been streamlined for its intended purpose. it does have a low power quad core processor and feels fast enough for what it is intended to do, I don't intend to use it for anything but scanning and scope work. I got this info from a program called speccy, I have not opened it up and the computer nerd part of me wants to.

Defiantly a big upgrade from the verdict.

Comment

• phill57
                        • Oct 2007

Micro SD card on Edge

I noticed that the Edge has a micro SD card slot. i plugged in 16 gig card and it shows up as drive E. Does anyone know if there is a limit to the capacity it will recognize. I can get a 256 gig pretty reasonable. It would be used mainly for storing DVD manuals for instance. That would be much more convenient than voiding the warranty opening this up.

Comment

• jimbo4822
                          • Mar 2014

Being a windows based system I would think 256 gig would be ok it treats the card as a detatchable drive. 256 gig would be a lot of manuals!

Comment

• GypsyR
                            • Jul 2017

Originally posted by jimbo4822

The mother board does show two memory slots available with only one used at 2 gigs memory. 2 gigs is low for windows 7 but it is an embedded version of win 7 so it probably has been streamlined for its intended purpose.

Defiantly a big upgrade from the verdict.
                            I went from a Verdict to this Edge too, you betcha it's better.
                            Using Advanced System Care's background system info I've caught my Verus running at 85% ram usage a couple of times now. Like you, I've got the urge to amp the ram up. Doing so in my Verdict wasn't too terribly difficult. At some point I know I will give in and crack it open. Not because it really needs it but because as much as I paid for this thing it should have come loaded with RAM. And knowing that empty slot is in there will bug me forever.

Comment

• Wheel
                              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by MerschATX
                              Why not just use an external ssd for extra storage? The Verus Edge at least has the USB ports on the side.
                              possible but very awkward for files which should be stored on unit.

Comment

Working...