X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phill57
    • Oct 2007

2011 GMC Terrain Transmission Reflash

Hello

Just wondering if anybody has reflashed a used transmission control module on a 2011 Terrain. I'm considering installing a used transmission in this vehicle but am concerned about swapping in a previously programmed used TCM in this Global A vehicle. I've heard bad things can happen with vin mismatch.
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Why would you want to change the transmission module if putting in a used transmission? Clear the codes and learned trans tables and do a quick learn after replacement. Wouldn't hurt to have it just in case.

Comment

• sbreland73
      • Jan 2009

Because the TCM is in the valve body.
      S. Breland

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
        • Apr 2011

I have programmed/flashed TCM's on many GM cars. It's SUPER EASY. All u need is a J2534 tool, a laptop and purchase programming files from acdelco site. Takes literally 10-15 minutes. I would highly suggest you have a charger on the car and make sure ur laptop is fully charged or charging while flashing. Make sure no accessories are on as well. Once you finish flashing, use a scanner and reset TCM and do quick relearn. That's it! VIN matching is done when you flash TCM. If you have all these tools, then just spend the few bucks and give it a shot. Good luck

Comment

• GypsyR
          • Jul 2017

Or you can cheat and just swap TCM's. Pull the front cover and you can see the TCM. Just a few bolts. Easy. Or you can even swap TCM's later with the transmission installed if reflashing doesn't work out for you. Just the front mount bracket (five bolts) needs to be removed and you will have access to swap the entire valve body if needed. (I have.) One of the rare FWD vehicles where there's actually quite a bit of room to allow all that and it's NOT a big pain to do.

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

I have programmed/flashed TCM's on many GM cars. It's SUPER EASY. All u need is a J2534 tool, a laptop and purchase programming files from acdelco site. Takes literally 10-15 minutes. I would highly suggest you have a charger on the car and make sure ur laptop is fully charged or charging while flashing. Make sure no accessories are on as well. Once you finish flashing, use a scanner and reset TCM and do quick relearn. That's it! VIN matching is done when you flash TCM. If you have all these tools, then just spend the few bucks and give it a shot. Good luck
            Because the TCM is incorporated inside the transmission itself , the battery and scanner,is disconnected for a long period of time during a trans R&R procedure, a programmable module installation and VIN rewrite option on a capable Chinaman tool may not likely to be an option. Oh what GM will resort to, to keep work in house or force you to buy a subscription.

Comment

• Glide
              • Jan 2015

I haven't run across a GM with the VIN in the TCM.After you replace the transmission Check the calibration ID and use the free calibration lookup tool on the ACdelco site to compare it to your VIN.A trans out of the same year and similar equipped vehicle should already have the correct calibration.New and reman trans usually have no calibration and need to be flashed.

Comment

• Witsend
                Banned
                • Nov 2012

Thanks Glide, that is real good information to check if you are putting a used transmission in it and valuable information for the Used Auto Parts Dismantlers to pull out of newer vehicles when possible to really set themselves apart from other Auto Recyclers . I think Snappy should devise a cheap JunkYard Scanner, With 12 volts jumped to the battery cables where you can get power to the DLC , without any key in the ignition being turned on it can lists all the modules in the car, the part #s and calibration codes. All working electronics that would go to waste should be recycleable and reuseable in other cars to keep them out of the junkyard longer
                Last edited by Witsend; 10-03-2017, 11:02 AM.

Comment

• BRIAN617
                  • Dec 2016

We replace a lot of these 6spd transmission FORD/GM variants.

Just be sure and do the quick relearn.

If it wont complete the relearn, swap module with original and try again.

If still have issues or original module was bad, we've just bought new GM modules, they aren't too crazy expensive.

Comment

• Superflash007
                    • Oct 2011

Global Architecture A "GM AA"

The GMC Terrain is a "AA" vehicle. It is not recommended to put used modules in any "AA" vehicle. They can corrupt the VIN in other modules on this communication protocol and possibly brick the car.

Please watch this video and heed the warnings! I own a mobile programming service business, we do not go out and attempt to program ANY used module in these vehicles. I do not want the blame if it damages other modules.

Comment

• Superflash007
                      • Oct 2011

Junior Member?

Why am I a junior member to this reflash forum??? I should be an exhaulted member!
                      I have flashed roughly 10,000 vehicles in the last 7 years of doing this full time.
                      Junior Member! Haugh!

Comment

• Witsend
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2012

Well I think it might be a good idea anyway to just remove the trans module out of the original transmission and transfer it the used donor transmission and while in there inspect the used trans pan install a new filter and clean the magnet and avoid the need for re-flashing if you can.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                          Snap-on DSD
                          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Superflash007
                          Why am I a junior member to this reflash forum??? I should be an exhaulted member!
                          I have flashed roughly 10,000 vehicles in the last 7 years of doing this full time.
                          Junior Member! Haugh!
                          There is only one path to Exulted Membership Status. You must be able to interpret the posts of Witsend. Try as we might, none of us have been able to figure out the ones he does late at night.

Welcome to the Boards. There's a great bunch of guys here.
                          It's great to have someone here with so much flashing experience.

Joe
                          "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
                          Henry Ford

Comment

• Witsend
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2012

Unfortunately Some times no number of re-flashes can restore Direct on a Warp Drive and some times Scottie has to put down his Stout and computer mouse and actually pick up a wrench. Be nice if you could just use the transporter to go back to simpler times, but folk going back would ultimately F2ck up the past where the Beetles and Mo Town Artists of the 60's would have been doing Gangsta Rap and half of us today wouldn't know who our Daddy is?

Comment

• Steve6911
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Witsend
                              Unfortunately Some times no number of re-flashes can restore Direct on a Warp Drive and some times Scottie has to put down his Stout and computer mouse and actually pick up a wrench. Be nice if you could just use the transporter to go back to simpler times, but folk going back would ultimately F2ck up the past where the Beetles and Mo Town Artists of the 60's would have been doing Gangsta Rap and half of us today wouldn't know who our Daddy is?

And here we have EXACTLY what Joe was talking about!!!

Comment

Working...