Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dirwood
    • Oct 2017

Saving Scope Patterns

Is there a way to save scope patterns acquired over a long period of time?
    If I set the sweep rate to a faster time period the buffer fills quickly and there isn't much data available for review. I know if the sweep rate is slower the buffer doesn't fill as fast but sometimes the faster sweep is necessary to get details in the pattern.

Thanks
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Guess it would depends on file size limitation of platform you have and or possibly the current SSC file size limitations if any.

Comment

• Crusty
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Witsend
      Guess it would depends on file size limitation of platform you have and or possibly the current SSC file size limitations if any.
      SSC is pretty liberal with file sizes. You're correct in examining which platform is being used. I don't have 'em all but I do know they vary in data collection rates.

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

It's strange, other than when I was with Ford occasionally road testing and making recordings of data with SBDS and WDS for playback I never saved data pid recordings for future reference or owned an Oscilloscope that I could save the recordings to a PC program for future reference. A smart phone video of my Counselor 2 screen of good and bad patterns saved and then mirrored to my 55"TV could work if I really wanted to save good and bad patterns, but the Novelty of it wore off awhile ago, and I think Boogle might be faster

Comment

• dirwood
          • Oct 2017

Saving Scope Patterns

I'm new to the Verus platform, just purchased a used Verus Pro and still learning how to use it. What is the SSC mentioned in the replies and how do I store / save scope patterns larger than the buffer holds?

Thanks

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

It might already be on a Verus , but it's a free program installed on a PC so you can save and view Pid graphing and scope recordings in better detail.

Comment

• Crusty
              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by dirwood
              I'm new to the Verus platform, just purchased a used Verus Pro and still learning how to use it. What is the SSC mentioned in the replies and how do I store / save scope patterns larger than the buffer holds?

Thanks
              You can get to it using the information boxes at the top of this site.

Hope this link works for you.

Fantastic program.
              I have downloaded it and taken it to computers without internet access too.
              Saving data from a variety of manufacturers & models gives you something to review later. Helps immensely with vehicles we don't see many of, or we're not intimately familiar with.
              Create several folders to store the data in that makes sense for you so you can find them later. (Name, Make, Model, Year, vehicle system...whatever)

As for the buffer, simply save a movie near the end of the buffer, then continue on and save another movie, and another, and another....
              If the buffer holds 6 minutes, then save a movie at 5 minutes, then another movie at 10 minutes, then a third at 15 minutes, they'll overlap and SSC shows when the overlap occurs once you play them back.

Comment

• dirwood
                • Oct 2017

Thanks for the info on SSC. It sounds kind of painful though. I am used to using Pico scope which works quite differently. So if I have the sweep rate at 10ms and the buffer is filling every 1 or 2 seconds, then I would need to click save movie every 1/2 to 1 second? And then sort out the overlaps during review? Are there any other options?

Thanks

Comment

• bestdamgarage
                  • Apr 2016

join the iatn its cheap they have a waveform library

Comment

• Rich Shepherd
                    Snap-on D&I
                    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by dirwood
                    Is there a way to save scope patterns acquired over a long period of time?
                    If I set the sweep rate to a faster time period the buffer fills quickly and there isn't much data available for review. I know if the sweep rate is slower the buffer doesn't fill as fast but sometimes the faster sweep is necessary to get details in the pattern.

Thanks
                    The scope buffer is a fixed length. The scopes base mode of the operation increases the sample rate as the sweep decreases so longer sweeps give a longer buffer time wise.
                    If you select Peak Detect, it will effectively sample at a higher rate independent of sweep. While this will not increase the length of the buffer by itself, it will allow you to capture fast events that wouldn't be captured at longer sweeps. That being the case you may be able to select a longer sweep depending on the amount of detail needed which will increase the length of the buffer.
                    Last edited by Rich Shepherd; 10-24-2017, 12:35 PM.

Comment

• Wheel
                      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Rich Shepherd
                      The scope buffer is a fixed length. The scopes base mode of the operation increases the sample rate as the sweep decreases so longer sweeps give a longer buffer time wise.
                      If you select Peak Detect, it will effectively sample at a higher rate independent of sweep. While this will not increase the length of the buffer by itself, it will allow you to capture fast events that wouldn't be captured at longer sweeps. That being the case you may be able to select a longer sweep depending on the amount of detail needed which will increase the length of the buffer.
                      This buffer length limitation is one of the chief areas the scope could use some serious upgrading - if you could get someone high enough up to listen ...
                      You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

Working...