Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Randy H.
    • Sep 2011

questions about Solus Ultra

Hey guys. Im getting ready to buy a Snap on Solus Ultra or Solus Pro for myself.
    Was wondering if the Solus Pro or SOlus Ultra comes with OBD1 adapters or if you have to buy them separate? For 350 bucks tough the adapters arent too bad.

Also whats so different about the Ultra? I find it hard to believe its cheaper. Basically as far as I can tell it does away with the keys and has a touch screen, and you can get protective boots for the Ultra.
    Anything else I dont know?

I have tried several scantools, and even though its a bit more expensive, it seems Snap On makes the best aftermarket scantool out there. Kicks the *&^% out of Pegisys, Genisys, Launch, EASE or any of the other junk out there. Coverage is better, easier to use, Plus the updates are cheaper.

Why would you buy any aftermarket scantool other than snap on? Basically becuase you havent done your research.
  • Bob's Garage
    • Nov 2007

Welcome Randy !

The Solus Ultra has several advanages over the Solus Pro. Of course, losing the keys is great. Battery life is extremly good. Charges quickly even when pugged into the car like the Pro, but it holds charge longer.

The navigation is faster with the touch screen / thumb control combined. It boots up quickly and with practice you can be scanning within 30 seconds from the boot up to data transmission.

Fast boot up is also cool if you suspect an error with the tool. You can "restart" quickly.

The display is larger, easier on the eyes. The Solus Pro is a great scanner. The Solus Ultra is a couple of notches higher.

Randy, since you are new here, I want to ask you how did you compare coverage?

What auto makes did you research? I would like to see what tools worked well on what makes/models.

Thanks, Bob

Comment

• CrazyFreak
      • Sep 2011

The souls ultra does not come with OBD 1 connectors. I see that you have a old solus according to your info. And would assume you have old OBD 1 connector with the solus. You can use those connectors with the solus ultra. The reason why it might be cheaper than other scantool is that the ultra is just a scanner without the scope and multimeter, so you'll probably need a vantage pro too.

I been using my ultra for a week now and I love it. It even locked up once out of many times I used it but no problem, I just reboot it since it only takes seconds to boot up.

Comment

• Orevin
        • Aug 2010

Not much to add to Bob's post. The Ultra is a great tool, I use it every day. The lack of OBD-1 connectors is a little disappointing, but no biggie.

One thing you want to add is an extension for the OBD-2 data cable. It will be (or is?) available as an accessory. An alternative would be an extension from other vendors like AESwave (http://www.aeswave.com/Products/Product.asp?i=703). If you need an even longer (or shorter) extension visit OBD2Cables (http://www.obd2cables.com/products/o...62f-to-j1962m/)

Originally posted by Randy H.

I have tried several scantools, and even though its a bit more expensive, it seems Snap On makes the best aftermarket scantool out there. Kicks the *&^% out of Pegisys, Genisys, Launch, EASE or any of the other junk out there. Coverage is better, easier to use, Plus the updates are cheaper.

Why would you buy any aftermarket scantool other than snap on? Basically becuase you havent done your research.

Bob asked two important questions here:

Originally posted by Bob's Garage

Randy, since you are new here, I want to ask you how did you compare coverage?

What auto makes did you research? I would like to see what tools worked well on what makes/models.

Thanks, Bob

Depending on YMM and your ambitions, you WILL find gaps in SO otherwise good coverage. Sometimes on vehicles you wouldn't expect it (http://productforum.autorepairdata.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5877). Ever replaced a control module that needs immobilizer initialization? Ford and Nissan come to mind here. The procedures are covered by other (AM) scan tools, but not SO. Then again you might be surprised that you don't have to ship a vehicle to the dealer after a module replacement (http://productforum.autorepairdata.c...ead.php?t=5846).

My point is, while solid tools, Snap On scanners can't do it all and will disappoint at times. So, some
        of the other junk out there
        might get the job done.
        -Kai-
        Chicago, IL

Comment

• crackerclicker
          • May 2008

[QUOTE=CrazyFreak;26094] so you'll probably need a vantage pro too. /QUOTE]

i'm pretty sure randy is covered in that department .

randy,
          kai and bob are good resources for coverage info. if there's anything you think you'll need from snap on, now is the time to ask. i think i've seen you mention elsewhere that you have a lot of asian and obd 1 customers. i'm guessing the old connectors will work. i think the newer versions are only required for the verus .

Comment

• mduss3
            • May 2011

newr version adaptors

the newer versions are made to be able to handle the voltage of the hybrids, so I have been told.

Comment

• daytona dave
              • Jun 2011

Hey guys. Im getting ready to buy a Snap on Solus Ultra or Solus Pro for myself.

I have tried several scantools, and even though its a bit more expensive, it seems Snap On makes the best aftermarket scantool out there. Kicks the *&^% out of Launch, EASE or any of the other junk out there. Coverage is better, easier to use, Plus the updates are cheaper.

What planet have you arrived from, if you think for one nanosecond that snap kicks the ar*e of launch you need your bumps feeling, even some snap on tech guys keep a launch squirrelled away because they know the launch is at least 50% more capable than there own tools, i think you must have done your research on planet zog.
              everybodys mad except me

Comment

• robp823
                • Mar 2011

hello

I too am interested in the solus ultra.My biggest thing is bi directional controls.I do alot of light duty diesel work.Dodge Cummins,GM Duramax, and of course Ford Powerstroke.Can you do relative compression test and watch power balance with this tool on Powerstrokes?Can you take control of the VGT actuator or the EGR valve?On Duramax can you cut out injectors?Take control of the Fuel Pressure Regulator and ramp fuel pressure up??I dont need a scope or meter.I already have a really good scope.I just need to be able to do all the bi directional controls that the OE scan tools offer.If anyone can help please let me know.I would get the Solus Ultra in a heartbeat.Im tired of playing with junk.I bought a Genysis Evo off my Mac guy after he promised me it would do everything i wanted and it did nothing.Then he wouldnt take it back.I was looking into AE Auto Enginuity but i hear lots of mixed reviews.

Comment

• hefaus
                  • Dec 2007

Solus Ultra

Hi. I was asking my dealer about the Solus Ultra. He said it will be keyless and will have a bigger screen. it will have the same programing as the Solus Pro. There is a Snap On site where you can select VAG Vehicle Application guide for 11.2. There may even be something on the site about the Solus Ultra by now. Hope this helps. Keep Smiling

Comment

• andybaz
                    • Apr 2009

Originally posted by hefaus
                    Hi. I was asking my dealer about the Solus Ultra. He said it will be keyless and will have a bigger screen. it will have the same programing as the Solus Pro. There is a Snap On site where you can select VAG Vehicle Application guide for 11.2. There may even be something on the site about the Solus Ultra by now. Hope this helps. Keep Smiling
                    http://www1.snapon.com/diagnostics/us/cc
                    Its a pity there isnt a link for UK spec upgrades, im interested in the ULTRA aswell, but will have to buy from SO HO,fun an games then when it will need a update having to send it back to SO HO UK every time.
                    Toyota pro tech & ata
                    PRESTATYN - RHYL - BUCKLEY & MOLD surrounding area plug in

Comment

• daytona dave
                      • Jun 2011

asked my rep today about the ultra and he's never even heard of it, mind you he's about as much use as a chocolate fire guard, so at the moment it seems like it's US only ,(unless you know different).
                      everybodys mad except me

Comment

• Jay G.
                        Administrator
                        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by daytona dave
                        asked my rep today about the ultra and he's never even heard of it, mind you he's about as much use as a chocolate fire guard, so at the moment it seems like it's US only ,(unless you know different).
                        The information about the Ultra hasn't been released to the dealers in the UK, it will be released in North America first, UK to follow.

Comment

• daytona dave
                          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Jay G.
                          The information about the Ultra hasn't been released to the dealers in the UK, it will be released in North America first, UK to follow.
                          cheers dude, any idea of time scale on roll out.
                          everybodys mad except me

Comment

• Jay G.
                            Administrator
                            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by daytona dave
                            cheers dude, any idea of time scale on roll out.
                            Not sure when it will release in the UK.

Comment

• TurboJim
                              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by robp823
                              I too am interested in the solus ultra.My biggest thing is bi directional controls.I do alot of light duty diesel work.Dodge Cummins,GM Duramax, and of course Ford Powerstroke.Can you do relative compression test and watch power balance with this tool on Powerstrokes?Can you take control of the VGT actuator or the EGR valve?On Duramax can you cut out injectors?Take control of the Fuel Pressure Regulator and ramp fuel pressure up??I dont need a scope or meter.I already have a really good scope.I just need to be able to do all the bi directional controls that the OE scan tools offer.If anyone can help please let me know.I would get the Solus Ultra in a heartbeat.Im tired of playing with junk.I bought a Genysis Evo off my Mac guy after he promised me it would do everything i wanted and it did nothing.Then he wouldnt take it back.I was looking into AE Auto Enginuity but i hear lots of mixed reviews.
                              I believe injector programming modes were put in Cummins and Dirtymax. I can look tomorrow at work if you're interested. I dont do a lot of Dodge diesel stuff, but do a good amount of GM and a gazillion Ford diesels. For the Fords, coverage is excellent. There is no cranking relative compression test, no fan %, and no pretty graphical power balance, but there is contribution, injector kill, glow plug, icpr, egr, vgt tests in there. It pales only to IDS in its Powerstroke capabilities. If you need a relative compression test, put an amp clamp on the batt and pull the FICM relay. Not that hard. I normally just use my ears. I do a LOT of 6.0's and the Solus/Verus havent let me down yet, despite the powers that be saying it will "only give me enough capability to get me in trouble". I get 6.0 work from many local shops and feel I am competent enough to say it works very well.

For GM, coverage is very good. In powertrain I believe it does everything my Tech2 does. Except programming of course.

I think you will be very happy with the Solus Ultra. To do it over again, If Id have known it was coming, I'd have waited and bought the Ultra instead of my Verus.
                              Jim Testa
                              Senior Technician
                              JD Automotive & Truck Inc
                              Dover, NJ

Comment

Working...