SureTrack Users General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dodge90
    • Oct 2014

greasy, you saying "should" What year is the truck? Taking is newer?
    I've tried and tried, but can't seem to fix stupid!

Comment

• greasybob
      • May 2008

The Eco boost leaker in the picture is a 2013.

Comment

• greasybob
        • May 2008

Case study .... 752-8

Subject .....98 Buick LeSabre 3.8

Symptoms..... Loss of coolant, engine hydrolocked

Diagnosis.... found coolant in each of the six cylinders. Found the intake upper plenum cracked from EGR heat allowing coolant to flood the cylinders.

Remedy......Replace all intake gaskets along with an updated upper plenum that shields the heat from the plastic plenum.

But here's where it gets interesting. After the repairs including removing the spark plugs and cleaning them along with clearing the cylinders of all coolant I have a crank no start. The questions come to mind, how long has this thing been sitting? How did it run before the intake went ?

Remedy number 2....... Engine is getting spark and fuel.... sounds ok when cranking... Compression check ...first cylinder 125 PSI Too low. Take plugs out again and put a few ounces of ATF in each cylinder and turn by hand a few times. Put plugs back in, a cloud of smoke and steam (the best part) and we're back in business. Run it for an hour or so, all seems good.

Synopsis.... A poorly designed intake manifold or EGR (no plugged exhaust or EGR codes noted) allows coolant to leak. Coolant sitting on the pistons must have some effect on piston rings causing low compression. Only time will tell if there is any permanent damage. You should always keep a few cans of compression around the shop.
        Last edited by greasybob; 09-18-2015, 04:48 PM.

Comment

• Crusty
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by greasybob
          Case study .... 752-8

Subject .....98 Buick LeSabre 3.8

Symptoms..... Loss of coolant, engine hydrolocked

Diagnosis.... found coolant in each of the six cylinders. Found the intake upper plenum cracked from EGR heat allowing coolant to flood the cylinders.

Remedy......Replace all intake gaskets along with an updated upper plenum that shields the heat from the plastic plenum.

But here's where it gets interesting. After the repairs including removing the spark plugs and cleaning them along with clearing the cylinders of all coolant I have a crank no start. The questions come to mind, how long has this thing been sitting? How did it run before the intake went ?

Remedy number 2....... Engine is getting spark and fuel.... sounds ok when cranking... Compression check ...first cylinder 125 PSI Too low. Take plugs out again and put a few ounces of ATF in each cylinder and turn by hand a few times. Put plugs back in, a cloud of smoke and steam (the best part) and we're back in business. Run it for an hour or so, all seems good.

Synopsis.... A poorly designed intake manifold or EGR (no plugged exhaust or EGR codes noted) allows coolant to leak. Coolant sitting on the pistons must have some effect on piston rings causing low compression. Only time will tell if there is any permanent damage. You should always keep a few cans of compression around the shop.
          There is more than one TSB regarding the cracking of the intake plenums from EGR tube heat. TSB solves issue #1

Issue #2, coolant washing down cylinders is similar to fuel washing down cylinders. I was taught to use a wee bit of engine oil but I like your approach using ATF, it will lubricate, seal piston rings, AND it is a very good cleaner too, to help piston rings clean out gum and sludge.

What can of compression have you found to be the best and where "can" we order it-?? LOL

Comment

• greasybob
            • May 2008

At first I thought maybe the plugs exposure to the coolant had destroyed them. Wasn't if there would be any effect to porcelain after long term contact with coolant. Maybe they were shorted.

Comment

• dodge90
              • Oct 2014

Bob, did one last month, same thing, bitch starting, but I installed new plugs and fired right up filling the shop with that heavy white smoke All seemed good untill car towed back in 2 weeks later rapping and rattling, less than 200 miles. Guess the bearings couldn't take the hydrolock trying to start it. As always oil was changed before any cranking was done after job was finished. Customer did state car was "smoking" for a few days before orignal work was done.

Comment

• greasybob
                • May 2008

WOW !!! Who knew? Google "canned compression" and there is actually such a thing. I would think that you should use the synthetic stuff though, you know, for long change intervals. Make sure you get the cylinder number right too.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Crusty
                  • Dec 2007

Originally posted by greasybob
                  At first I thought maybe the plugs exposure to the coolant had destroyed them. Wasn't if there would be any effect to porcelain after long term contact with coolant. Maybe they were shorted.
                  I've seen plugs survive the abuse and be no problem but not too often. Something usually shows up within the hour, or a week or two later.

If I can get them to fire up and clear the cylinders and the rest of the exhaust, I take a REAL CLOSE look at oxygen sensor activity and hope for the best.

If I can I'll hold it overnight for a cold start test/check myself, and again look very closely at oxygen sensor activity.

If there are ANY cold start issues or delays, I'll recommend clean spark plugs and possibly O2 sensors. At the very least I'll warn the customer that O2's and Cats don't like antifreeze.

Ever hear or experience a condition called "Silting" on a new car-??

Comment

• Crossland Auto
                    • Jul 2014

I am kind of thinking body guys don't make enough money.

X
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Witsend
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2012

I'm thinking you're right, but it keeps a few Paint Huffers off the street. LOL What is the car?
                      Last edited by Witsend; 09-20-2015, 07:32 PM.

Comment

• Thomas Greene
                        • Oct 2014

My guess, 67-70 Chevy P.U.. ?

Comment

• Crossland Auto
                          • Jul 2014

Good call Thom! '69 C10.

X

Comment

• Thomas Greene
                            • Oct 2014

Mirror was the give away. As I recall '71 & 72 had the tripod mirror. Them style Chevy P.U.'s... Best looking ever made

Comment

• Crossland Auto
                              • Jul 2014

Going to be a slow day today. No cars in or out.

X
                              Attached Files

Comment

• dodge90
                                • Oct 2014

Hate when that happends. Boss man would be out there screaming. But also a day to play catch up/clean up like we're doing today since it slowed down. Cleaning floors, painting. Hate when it's slow.

Comment

Working...