X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • just2damfast
    • Mar 2010

Adapting Pressure Transducers

Hello,
    After much diagnostic frustration, having moved to a new job that doesn't supply a scope. I took it apon myself to purchase a vantage pro with all the bells and whistles. Have only had it 2 weeks and WOW, what a tool. The only issue I'm having is trying to make a good set of adapters for the pressure transducers. I discovered that the MAC fuel pressure test kit appears to have the same threads on their couplers which has worked great for checking fuel pressure, However I'm still a little confused when it comes to adapting the transducers to do compression and exhaust back pressure.

I can't seem to find a site that sells the hofmann minature couplers that I have been steeling from my fuel pressure test set. And don't want to cripple a good working gauge set that is a good spare to have.

Anyways, What do you guys use? And where to buy them? I'm somewhat of a visual learner, pictures greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Brian
  • kebo1970
    • Nov 2008

tranducers

you have to buy a compression tester and take the gauge off and screw in the 500psi transducer with teflon tape; remember to take out the valve stem at the end of the compression tester, you will get a better view on the vantage pro screen. the same with the back pressure tester, buy it and take the gauge off then screw in the 100psi transducer

Comment

• David Green
      • Oct 2009

Have a look at this link, there is a load of accessories for SO equipment

David

Comment

• crackerclicker
        • May 2008

the fuel pressure test adaptors can usually be sourced through your tool man separately. i bought mine from a matco truck cause he showed up first if you already have a good compression test kit just match up a coupler to your compression test hose. my comp test hose just happens to use the same coupler as my air tools, so i just ordered a female coupler and attached it to the 500psi transducer. just be sure to remove any schrader valves like the previous poster mentioned.
        on a different, but related topic, if you want to expand your capabilities i would recommend this tool: http://www.autonerdz.com/firstlook.htm
        and here are some modis captures using that tool: http://www.autonerdz.com/downloads/flsmodis.pdf

Comment

• just2damfast
          • Mar 2010

Is that tool also a transducer? Wouldn't the 100 psi/ vacume transducer from snapon have similar response?

Comment

• kebo1970
            • Nov 2008

transducers

the 100psi transducer will do the fuel injector pulse test,the cranking vacuum test and the exhaust back pressure test; have not tried the exhaust tailpipe test. automotive test solutions website has lots of info

Comment

• crackerclicker
              • May 2008

the 100psi transducer will do it if it is ac coupled, sort of. the fls measures changes in vac and pressure, not average vacuum like a regular vac gauge. this is what gives you the better (and more reliable) captures. there are people that have adapted old map sensors and fuel tank pressure sensors to do similiar waves. thanks, kebo, i completely forgot to mention the ats website. there is some good info there also http://automotivetestsolutions.com/
              Last edited by crackerclicker; 04-08-2010, 11:44 PM. Reason: forgot to add something

Comment

• crackerclicker
                • May 2008

this is the type of capture you would expect from a firstlook sensor attached to a vacuum port on the intake manifold. please note that i was not connected to a centralized vac port in this capture, so the wave is a little inaccurate.
                Attached Files

Comment

• pcdoc2001
                  • Apr 2014

I love my Verus but much like the SIA 2000 ignition adaptor you will have to work with your transducers to make them work for you. I used a short piece of fuel line with a really small metal funnel to adapt my transducer kit for exhaust use. I find exhaust and in cylinder tests easier to diagnose than intake tests. I bought the picoscope fuel line adaptor which couple to my Snap On fuel system adaptors, (I added a hardware store threaded adaptor to connect the transducer to the other end). Pico sells the hose for $17.99.

Comment

Working...