Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wheel
    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by SnapOnKid
    So first we are supposed to keep these units off the internet as much as possible to prevent viruses. Now they want us to be on the net so they can control the content???

If they used uptodate electronics, it would not be an issue what was stored on it...
    I totally forgot the malware factor.
    The very best malware tools are at best playing catch - up, and most, if not all slow things down at best and throw an unexpected wrench in things at worst.
    Better to have a little inconvenience looking things up for the most part on a separate computer rather than having your $10 - 11k Zeus or Verus hit with a major virus or ransomware
    You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• SnapOnKid
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Wheel
      I totally forgot the malware factor.
      The very best malware tools are at best playing catch - up, and most, if not all slow things down at best and throw an unexpected wrench in things at worst.
      Better to have a little inconvenience looking things up for the most part on a separate computer rather than having your $10 - 11k Zeus or Verus hit with a major virus or ransomware
      I would say they forgot about it too, but lets face it... It's really about corporate greed...

First you buy the update, Then you have to buy the subscription, Then you buy the repair...

And while I realize their part will be mostly secure, You can't control every Wifi connection or lack thereof... And if lets say It cause your tool not to perform who's gonna cover it?

Let's not forget the Dodge wifi hacking with a basic I-phone where they could take control of a vehicle.

What if it in the future the find away to infect the unit and every vehicle you connect to? Who is going to cover the re-flashes or Control unit replacements?

Comment

• bestdamgarage
        • Apr 2016

I would say they forgot about it too, but lets face it... It's really about corporate greed...

First you buy the update, Then you have to buy the subscription, Then you buy the repair...

And while I realize their part will be mostly secure, You can't control every Wifi connection or lack thereof... And if lets say It cause your tool not to perform who's gonna cover it?

Let's not forget the Dodge wifi hacking with a basic I-phone where they could take control of a vehicle.

What if it in the future the find away to infect the unit and every vehicle you connect to? Who is going to cover the re-flashes or Control unit replacements?

never heard of the dodge hacking have a link to a story

Comment

• timstech
          • Dec 2010

Welcome to the age of hackable automobiles, when two security researchers can cause a 1.4 million product recall.

Comment

• SnapOnKid
            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by bestdamgarage
            never heard of the dodge hacking have a link to a story
            Chrysler is recalling 1.4 million vehicles that can be remotely hacked over the Internet.

Watch them actually do it on you tube ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK0SrxBC1xs

Comment

• Crusty
              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Wheel
              pre-cisely !!!
              ""The internet is not reliable-!!
              Airports, banks, credit cards,....all of them screw up several times a year, and they should have better internet reliability redundancy built-in.....
              It's not if the internet screws up, it's when it will screw up.""

Well, another example of the INSECURITY of the internet surfaced. Equifax was hacked about a month ago and they've JUST revealed that within the last day or two.

So, not only is the internet not reliable, it isn't SECURE either-!!
              From a fundamental perspective, the "what if's" need to be accounted for, and that means designing things to be stand alone, fully functional, secure and reliable without internet reliance. This just makes common sense, but apparently there isn't the capability of that.

Ultimately, when the 'net is down, or not even available, it's just you-n-me, in the bay, with the car broken, and a solution needed. A reliable and secure solution, right away. Not in an hour or two, not in a day or two, not in a week or two, but NOW.

If our equipment can't provide that it isn't worth the price of a roll of toilet paper.

Comment

• Witsend
                Banned
                • Nov 2012

If our equipment can't provide that it isn't worth the price of a roll of toilet paper.
                Yeah, Would kinda suck to have to do a Crab walk out of your stall and have to ask for change for a $10k bill.
                Last edited by Witsend; 09-10-2017, 06:05 PM.

Comment

• BMW JEDI
                  • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Crusty
                  Airports, banks, credit cards,....all of them screw up several times a year, and they should have better internet reliability redundancy built-in.....

Well, another example of the INSECURITY of the internet surfaced. Equifax was hacked about a month ago and they've JUST revealed that within the last day or two.

From a fundamental perspective, the "what if's" need to be accounted for, and that means designing things to be stand alone, fully functional, secure and reliable without internet reliance. This just makes common sense, but apparently there isn't the capability of that.

Ultimately, when the 'net is down, or not even available, it's just you-n-me, in the bay, with the car broken, and a solution needed. A reliable and secure solution, right away. Not in an hour or two, not in a day or two, not in a week or two, but NOW.

FYI, it is my understanding in the time between the breach and releasing that information, Equifax executives have been quietly selling off stock in the company to minimize personal losses.

Isn't this the very definition of insider trading?

Do you trust them with any of your information now?

I think they (equifax and executives) should be removed from service, permanently.

Comment

• SnapOnKid
                    • Jan 2011

So Jay...

Now that this has been officially released, Can you answer a few Questions for me?

Is the new mini obd2 module exclusive to the Zeus? Or can it be purchased separately and used with the Edge?

Is the new software lay out going to be exclusive to this tool???

What are the official spec's on the Zeus unit as they are not listed on the Platform part of the site and you can not do an official compare against the edge. BTW the Official Price says call... do you really want my self, wheel, and crusty to get on a conference call with you about these things...

Comment

• timstech
                      • Dec 2010

Some specs on page 19 of the user manual pdf on SO site

Comment

• phill57
                        • Oct 2007

Comparison of boot times.

I had a chance to demo the new Zeus for a short time today. To me its just the Verus Edge with enhanced software. I made a short video showing the boot times of my Verus Pro which does have a 500G SSD installed compared to the new Zeus. Understand that I have several third party programs that I am sure slow down my boot time since when the unit was stock and I did the SSD upgrade it was around 1 minute. I do like the smaller DLC interface as long as it doesn't get left in the vehicle. I was told it was supposed to beep when it lost connection with the Zeus but I never noted that myself. Here is a link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkAdfnlHswc

I noted the Zeus is running a Celeron 1.8Ghz processor with 2G ram, Windows 7 Imbeded 32 bit and a 60G SSD. I am sure its larger with a hidden partition as before but the C drive is 43.3GB with 28.9 free and the D drive is 9.83GB with 8.96 free. Unfortunately this will not meet minimum hardware specs for most OEM software installations such as Ford IDS for example. It may meet minimums for the J2534 Passthrough Toolbox which I believe should be incorporated for this kind of money.

I do like the streamlined diagnosis process where once you click a code that has been retrieved it takes you to multiple choices such as TSBs, Shurtrac, Guided Component Tests and the Intelligent data pid list. I'm not sold on the red flagging the pids just yet as I noticed on a couple videos posted on Youtube where it either didn't red flag a pid that was out of range of flagged ones that were not a problem in my opinion. Of course this is a work in progress so I'm sure things will get better as future updates are released. Here is one of the videos I found. Watch what happens when they disconnect the IAT sensor and the pid is reading 5.0 volts and 187F. Its at 16 minutes into this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDd4...XqEgYTN6V1kq-I

Here is another video with the red flagged pids where it flags the ST trims on both banks but ignores the fact that both forward O2 signals are flat lined and the system is in open loop.

This one is at 5:30 into the video.

I scanned an 06 F150 5.4 with an open injector code and smart data did not flag the no. 8 injector "Fault".

It will be interesting to see what the 17.4 update will bring to the Verus lineup. There is no reason they could not incorporate some of these features into the Verus platform. Its just software in my opinion.

Again this unit is running 17.4 software and I don't see any specific changes to the pid layout/graphing nor work order and data management improvements. So Wheel we are not getting the split screen back from 10.2 or the old data manager which was basically windows file manager. I noticed that some of the scope presets that used to be in the Verus are not included in this unit. Most specifically an Alternator Diode Test. Since clean stable DV voltage is so important in the vehicles today and this is a test that should be done early in any diagnosis why is it not included in the Alternator testing of the component level testing at least. And now I see they left it out of the Presets. I know how to set up the lab scope to view a diode ripple but not many techs do.

fun times

Comment

• SnapOnKid
                          • Jan 2011

So Jay...

Now that this has been officially released, Can you answer a few Questions for me?

Is the new mini obd2 module exclusive to the Zeus? Or can it be purchased separately and used with the Edge?

What are the official spec's on the Zeus unit as they are not listed on the Platform part of the site and you can not do an official compare against the edge. BTW the Official Price says call... do you really want my self, wheel, and crusty to get on a conference call with you about these things...
                          1 down, 2 questions to go...

Comment

• phill57
                            • Oct 2007

New mini Scan Module

I tried to pair the new Zeus mini adapter to my Verus Pro running 17.2 and it would not recognize it. It might with 17.4 but who knows???

Comment

• Wheel
                              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Crusty

Dittos again. It seems like everyone wants to un - tether you from the car only to tether you to your shop via internet. Makes a lot of sense, eh? If one had to choose it would be better the other way - unless you never left the shop.
                              You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Wheel
                                • Jul 2007

So Jay...

Good question.

From what I have heard, this is the way they intend it to be. Hardwarewise, I don't see ANY difference (except the name and color scheme) between the Zeus and Verus Edge base units, therefore there should be no reason they could not port this software over to the Edge also.

They'd hang up on me for sure.

Comment

Working...