Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shaw.jeffrey84
    • Jun 2017

Modis obd issue

Have the eems300 modis. Bought it of the snap on truck knowing the obd plug didn't work, but hoping I can fix it. It's running 12.2 and the newer board with usb in left handle.

I go into system info on the scanner plug in, and the serial number is all zeros. Tried updating scanner and it starts, "updating scanner 1 of 6". It stalls and says failed update.

Will a new(used at this point) scanner plug in possibly correct this?
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Remove the suspect DLC cable and provide power via AC Adapter and then see what it displays . If it still is messed up I would give it back to the tool dealer and let him know another replacement cable is not simply going to fix the thing.

Comment

• Tech10
      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by shaw.jeffrey84
      Have the eems300 modis. Bought it of the snap on truck knowing the obd plug didn't work, but hoping I can fix it. It's running 12.2 and the newer board with usb in left handle.

I go into system info on the scanner plug in, and the serial number is all zeros. Tried updating scanner and it starts, "updating scanner 1 of 6". It stalls and says failed update.

Will a new(used at this point) scanner plug in possibly correct this?
      A new (used) working Scanner Plug In Module should fix it. I would take the scanner plug in module apart and look to see if there are any visible problems. Clean the board & contacts really good. Hopefully you are able to get it working again. Another possibility is that the problem is on the MODIS motherboard or the board in between MODIS & Scanner Plug IN Module. It might be best that you take it all apart and clean contacts & boards. When it's working properly it should successfully complete the System Restore Function under system tool. The "updating scanner 1 of 6" at the end of the update is the part where data is downloaded to the Scanner Plug In Module and that is where your problem is as you know.

Comment

• shaw.jeffrey84
        • Jun 2017

Thanks guys. I had already stripped both the modis and mother board down and cleaned all contacts. All looked clean inside as well. Nothing that stuck out as burnt or melted. I had tried snap on m help line with it, and they pushed me towards what you suggested and I had already tried.

Mainly bought it for the lab scope, only paid 300, with personality keys and cables.

I will keep looking for a new scanner plug in.

I did try system restore after I cleaned all contacts.

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

Thanks guys. I had already stripped both the modis and mother board down and cleaned all contacts. All looked clean inside as well. Nothing that stuck out as burnt or melted. I had tried snap on m help line with it, and they pushed me towards what you suggested and I had already tried.

Mainly bought it for the lab scope, only paid 300, with personality keys and cables.

I will keep looking for a new scanner plug in.

I did try system restore after I cleaned all contacts.

Maybe you can give this procedure for Solus a try? Don't see any reason why the procedure would be any different for the Modis.

Comment

• Tech10
            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Witsend
            Maybe you can give this procedure for Solus a try? Don't see any reason why the procedure would be any different for the Modis.

http://productforum.autorepairdata.c...ad.php?t=12273
            The system restore function is the same thing. The OP is not having a problem with running the software re installation, the issue is that the installation is failing at the end when the Scanner Plug in Module is being updated. So if it started to update after turning the unit on then there is no reason to manually run or change anything on the CF card to reinstall (System Restore) the software.

Comment

• Springy
              • Oct 2018

Hi, did you get to the bottom of this? My modis is having the same problem.

Comment

• shaw.jeffrey84
                • Jun 2017

Going to try the scanner module from work. Ended up buying a solus edge and putting this on the back burner. Left the motorcycle world and now at an auto shop. Will let you know this week.

Comment

• shaw.jeffrey84
                  • Jun 2017

Got the new to me scanner slapped in mine. Did the software update and it completed. Went to system info- scanner. The scanner serial number is now populated instead of being 00000.

Only downside. I misplaced mine cable. I have the keys and obd 2 plug in. But no cable. That will be tomorrow.

Comment

• shaw.jeffrey84
                    • Jun 2017

Got the cable and plugged into an 03 tacoma. Scanner and everything is working again.

Thank you for all the help

Comment

• Witsend
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2012

Got the cable and plugged into an 03 tacoma. Scanner and everything is working again.

Thank you for all the help

D@mn, Good for you for figuring out what the problem is, but guess it's bad for your co-workers at work when they discover the shop's Modis is no longer working.

Comment

• shaw.jeffrey84
                        • Jun 2017

The shop modis is still on version 10.2 hasnt been used in a few years. We have a zues and a modis edge to play with. I understand your concern for my co workers. The cart this thing is inside i think has been used more for a storage container then anythng else.

Comment

• Witsend
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2012

The shop modis is still on version 10.2 hasnt been used in a few years. We have a zues and a modis edge to play with. I understand your concern for my co workers. The cart this thing is inside i think has been used more for a storage container then anythng else.
                          Well ,The Word in the shop now is that your Modis has now become community property and now a Go To Shop Scanner if the other two are tied up.
                          Last edited by Witsend; 01-06-2019, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Working...