X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpilk99
    • Dec 2018

MT2500 may be dying

Hi all,

Yes, I know I'm likely the proud owner of a dinosaur red brick, but, this has always served my needs well. But, I am wondering if she may be end-of-life and I'm hoping to confirm. Here's what I'm seeing -

I haven't used it in many months, and it was working fine up until yesterday when, after plugging it into the 20-pin round connector out in the passenger side of the engine compartment, [OBD2? is OBD1 in next to front cupholder?] in my 2001 BMW 740iL, I just got 2 horizontal lines of black boxes and all 4 red lights on the front lit up. I could not change this by pressing any button(s) scrolling the wheel. Keyed ignition on and off, unplugged it & plugged it back in, changed the 9 volt battery (which was dead), and can't get it to function. I'm noticing that I only have one cartridge plugged into the brick, the "Primary Cartridge BMW - through 2001" should there be another cartridge plugged in? Does it matter which slot the cartridge is plugged into?

Thank you!

Jay
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Without plugging in the DLC cable, Maybe just hold the power button in and see if it boots up with the menu and car selection. Maybe try another cartridge Maybe the time and date is set exactly at Y2K and it's trying to access the power grid.

Comment

• kirkbarrow.garage
      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by jpilk99
      Hi all,

Yes, I know I'm likely the proud owner of a dinosaur red brick, but, this has always served my needs well. But, I am wondering if she may be end-of-life and I'm hoping to confirm. Here's what I'm seeing -

I haven't used it in many months, and it was working fine up until yesterday when, after plugging it into the 20-pin round connector out in the passenger side of the engine compartment, [OBD2? is OBD1 in next to front cupholder?] in my 2001 BMW 740iL, I just got 2 horizontal lines of black boxes and all 4 red lights on the front lit up. I could not change this by pressing any button(s) scrolling the wheel. Keyed ignition on and off, unplugged it & plugged it back in, changed the 9 volt battery (which was dead), and can't get it to function. I'm noticing that I only have one cartridge plugged into the brick, the "Primary Cartridge BMW - through 2001" should there be another cartridge plugged in? Does it matter which slot the cartridge is plugged into?

Thank you!

Jay

Hello Jay, if, ( sadly ) if your MT2500 is dying, then you should be able to find at least a body on eBay to replace it with.
      If not a body maybe a more useful set for a reasonable amount, I have.
      Currently I have an MTG2500 and 3 normal MT2500 ( 2 as spares ( for some ' odd ' reason ) ) as well as " other " Snap On scanners.

Comment

• jpilk99
        • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Witsend
        Without plugging in the DLC cable, Maybe just hold the power button in and see if it boots up with the menu and car selection. Maybe try another cartridge Maybe the time and date is set exactly at Y2K and it's trying to access the power grid.
        Thank you. Did all of these and no change. 2 black lines horizontally all the way across the screen.

Comment

Working...