Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sonoma Tech
    • Nov 2017

Reprogram TPMS Sensors

I work in a tire shop that also does all Brake and Suspension repairs and modifications. I just purchased a MODIS Edge and a TPMS3.

When we install aftermarket wheels and tires on a truck how do you re-program the computer to recognize 65psi instead of 80psi in the rear wheels as the correct tire pressure? The front needs to be re-programmed too. All do to much bigger tires and wheels than the stock ones.

Dodge Duallys are the worst. A Dealership can charge up to $300.00 to program the wheel sensors! I guess it has 3 separate sensors in it - the fronts, the rear inners and the rear outers.
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

I think you could try drill 3 extra holes in the spare tire rim and have 4 sensors mounted 45 degrees apart and still have 80 PSI in the spare tire.Don't know if you could mount or dismount the tire without breaking a sensor or two. I think you may have been once able to adjust the tire pressure thresholds with a Chinese competitors tool but now guys are bitching since last Chrysler update the tire pressure threshold adjustment function is not accessible. Almost Got to believe the OE , Snappy, and other companies want certain desired functions kept licensed and to Strap-On-ify The Rogue Chinaman to get with the program and Genericify functionality down to a level field and have you and me pay to buy a J box and a OE subscriptions to be able to do this and other important simple OE functions like tire pressure thresholds and change Revs per mile and rear end ratios . Guess with so many ambulance chasers and product liability lawyers ready to pounce, the OE wants to keep non stock modifications out of aftermarket (HillBilly) Shop hands without paying dearly to get the capability, arguing changing settings could ultimately be used to cheat odometers and create safety concerns with ABS and vehicle stability control systems.
    Last edited by Witsend; 11-13-2017, 08:20 AM.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
      • Apr 2011

Shouldn't be that hard. The best thing about snap-on is that that they give you instructions when doing TPMS sensor programming or resetting of the TPMS. You have the 2 machines you need to do this type of job. Now, some don't need the TPMS tool anymore since the reset is done through navigation or settings in the car. BMW is one that comes to mind. So just follow instructions and you shouldn't have a problem. I use 2 machines, the other one is a Launch TMPS tool. Has happened to me that sometimes the snap-on tool won't read the sensors, but the Launch will. Anyways, good luck and ask anything if you get stuck doing one.

Comment

• Sonoma Tech
        • Nov 2017

[QUOTE=Witsend;58927]I think you could try drill 3 extra holes in the spare tire rim and have 4 sensors mounted 45 degrees apart and still have 80 PSI in the spare tire.Don't know if you could mount or dismount the tire without breaking a sensor or two. I think you may have been once able to adjust the tire pressure thresholds with a Chinese competitors tool but now guys are bitching since last Chrysler update the tire pressure threshold adjustment function is not accessible. Almost Got to believe the OE , Snappy, and other companies want certain desired functions kept licensed and to Strap-On-ify The Rogue Chinaman to get with the program and Genericify functionality down to a level field and have you and me pay to buy a J box and a OE subscriptions to be able to do this and other important simple OE functions like tire pressure thresholds and change Revs per mile and rear end ratios . Guess with so many ambulance chasers and product liability lawyers ready to pounce, the OE wants to keep non stock modifications out of aftermarket (HillBilly) Shop hands without paying dearly to get the capability, arguing changing settings could ultimately be used to cheat odometers and create safety concerns with ABS and vehicle stability control systems.[/QUOTE

I really don't want to "trick" the vehicle into thinking there is 80psi. Customers still want the TPMS to work properly. We just want it to recognize 65psi as the new tire pressure to be monitored.

Comment

• tech25
          • Oct 2017

Hello, I believe you want to change the threshold in the tpms module itself for when the warning light comes on,( ie, 65 psi, instead of 80 psi ) correct? note. some cars you cant change the threshold and some you can. i'm not sure about your make and model but if that is the only scan tools you have and you do not see that function to change the warning threshold, you cant do it. sorry.

Comment

• Dtnel
            • Feb 2017

What if you ever figure out on this? I'd recommend talking with the snap on tool guy especially if he sold you the scan tool for that being one of the purposes. Almost sounds like a J-2534 reprogramming deal and you'd have to go to the mfrs website to change the settings if they allow it. Almost makes me wonder if a good aftermarket TPMS system and sensors from them as well would jr a good thing to invest in due the shop.

When you're changing the psi threshold it's basically like telling the ecm that you want to change (program) a different setting. Any tool guy who sells to tire shops as well should have this answer. IF they don't then ask them to stop coming to your shop till they get trained and find someone qualified to sell you guys this stuff.

Comment

• kirkbarrow.garage
              • Jan 2015

Hmmmmm, " fool " the computer or ' reprogram ' the system ?

Not sure what planet we are on, but it ain't the real world.

99% of most vehicles I have come across have a simple system, you set the tires pressure to the desired setting, then either turn ignition on, and press a set button ( Volkswagen & Audi to name 2 ) or go into the menu and tell the system it is correct and maybe actually drive it to finish setting it up ( Honda & Mercedes to name 2 more ) .

Sometimes ( in real life ) the simplest method is actually the best method.

Comment

• Dtnel
                • Feb 2017

Originally posted by kirkbarrow.garage
                Hmmmmm, " fool " the computer or ' reprogram ' the system ?

Not sure what planet we are on, but it ain't the real world.

99% of most vehicles I have come across have a simple system, you set the tires pressure to the desired setting, then either turn ignition on, and press a set button ( Volkswagen & Audi to name 2 ) or go into the menu and tell the system it is correct and maybe actually drive it to finish setting it up ( Honda & Mercedes to name 2 more ) .

Sometimes ( in real life ) the simplest method is actually the best method.

So where's this mysterious set button on a 04 Chevy Tahoe? Base model. Only button is in the speedometer housing to reset the trip meter?

While you're at it I'll take the button location for a 06 Impala 3.9 ?

IF everything was that simple we all wouldn't be here or would we? We wouldn't need the advanced tools we use or any of that other stuff with simplicity either. Seems as if everything flowing off the production lines these days needs a computer, advanced scan tool or other electronic stuff to communicate and troubleshoot stuff beyond the simple basic. Maybe the newer cars are simple also so I could be wrong but if that's the case then the simple stuff is only being worked on at certain places and others are doing not so simple stuff?

Comment

• kirkbarrow.garage
                  • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Dtnel
                  So where's this mysterious set button on a 04 Chevy Tahoe? Base model. Only button is in the speedometer housing to reset the trip meter?

While you're at it I'll take the button location for a 06 Impala 3.9 ?

IF everything was that simple we all wouldn't be here or would we? We wouldn't need the advanced tools we use or any of that other stuff with simplicity either. Seems as if everything flowing off the production lines these days needs a computer, advanced scan tool or other electronic stuff to communicate and troubleshoot stuff beyond the simple basic. Maybe the newer cars are simple also so I could be wrong but if that's the case then the simple stuff is only being worked on at certain places and others are doing not so simple stuff?

As I did state, in Audi and VW the button is in the center console and using Hondas their system uses the control button on the steering wheel.

I have found it also tucked away in the glove box on other vehicles ( sorry can not remember the make though ).

Maybe reading the handbook could prove fruitful here ?

Or even a very quick Google search would get you this like I found :-

GM-17

1. Turn ignition to the ACC position.
                  2. Press and hold unlock and lock buttons on the keyless entry transmitter until horn sounds and left turn signal is illuminated. Or using the DIC, press and release INFO button until TIRE LEARN message is indicated on display. Hold down SET/RESET button until horn sounds and left turn signal is illuminated.
                  3. Starting with LF tire, increase/decrease tje pressure until the horn sounds.
                  4. After horn sounds proceed as in step 4 for the next 3 sensors in the following order: RF, RR, LR. After completing LR tire, horn will sound twice.
                  5. Turn ignition to OFF position to exit vehicle learn mode. Adjust all tires to pressure listed on tire placard.

Easy when you look and search I guess, rather than ' criticise ' !

Comment

• kirkbarrow.garage
                    • Jan 2015

Oh, that is for 06 to 12 Impalas too

Comment

• Crusty
                      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by kirkbarrow.garage
                      As I did state, in Audi and VW the button is in the center console and using Hondas their system uses the control button on the steering wheel.

I have found it also tucked away in the glove box on other vehicles ( sorry can not remember the make though ).

Maybe reading the handbook could prove fruitful here ?

Or even a very quick Google search would get you this like I found :-

GM-17

1. Turn ignition to the ACC position.
                      2. Press and hold unlock and lock buttons on the keyless entry transmitter until horn sounds and left turn signal is illuminated. Or using the DIC, press and release INFO button until TIRE LEARN message is indicated on display. Hold down SET/RESET button until horn sounds and left turn signal is illuminated.
                      3. Starting with LF tire, increase/decrease tje pressure until the horn sounds.
                      4. After horn sounds proceed as in step 4 for the next 3 sensors in the following order: RF, RR, LR. After completing LR tire, horn will sound twice.
                      5. Turn ignition to OFF position to exit vehicle learn mode. Adjust all tires to pressure listed on tire placard.

Easy when you look and search I guess, rather than ' criticise ' !
                      THAT procedure only relocates already existing recognized sensors, for tire rotation, not new sensors, nor does it change the threshold. The pressure spec remains the same, so.... look again..... rather than "criticise".

Comment

• Glide
                        • Jan 2015

@ kirkbarrow.garage

As far as I know,the only vehicles that can be reprogrammed for different tire pressures than they came with are GM and some Ford and Dodge light duty trucks.I doubt that a Tech that hasn't worked in North America would be familiar with these.
                        The reason for the ability to do this is that these trucks are available with several tire sizes and types.

Comment

• tonyh72
                          • Mar 2015

The procedure that the OP is looking for I believe is under TPMS special functions, or module setup. I know I have been able to accomplish this with our shop’s MODIS Ultra. If it’s not there, check under the keyless entry section of the scan tool, since the TPMS actually uses the RKE module. Sometimes you have to poke around a bit to find what you need, but I think it should be in there.

Comment

• Dtnel
                            • Feb 2017

Sensor

Thanks! Will have to poke around when I have some spare time as that was my plan someday. Didn't know if it was dealer level or what but you're right, poking around in the scan tool you can learn quite a bit about your vehicle.

Comment

• Dtnel
                              • Feb 2017

I was on the snap on technology truck the other day and this very topic came up and there will be a new TPMS 4 out or just came out, can't recall. It'll that'll allow a more Broad reprogramming but as far as the dealer AKA GM and other brand TPMS sensors go they're normally not as user-friendly as aftermarket sensors are which you can reprogram with the TPMS tools. I guess I learn something new everyday.

Comment

Working...