Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glide
    • Jan 2015

2008 Saturn Astra-used ECM

Has anyone been successful in reprogramming a used ECM for a Saturn Astra?
    I followed TSB# 16-NA-165.
    With "security access' and the security pin,I get "the module is already programmed" and the car will not start and immobilizer light stays flashing.
    ACdelco of course does not support using used modules...
  • bestdamgarage
    • Apr 2016

If its a global vehicle your SOL.

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

I figure a fix costing over a grand on most GM vehicles over 10 years of age calls for some Debt Consolidation and Compressing Global vehicles into 1 meter Cubes.

Comment

• Glide
        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by bestdamgarage
        Not Global by our current definition,but same result.this car is the same as Opel Astra,Vauxhall Astra.

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

Not Global by our current definition,but same result.this car is the same as Opel Astra,Vauxhall Astra.
          I don't even see Astra as a listed model in the Function Viewer under Saturn for Maxi Cyst, so seems to be an Astra Hole with the Saturn coverage of that model, however under Opel it shows Astra F, G, H, J, K , so basically being a re-badged Opel is good information know for a possible work around.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
            • Apr 2011

A couple of things, if ur installing a used PCM, the "Already Programmed" Means the version the used PCM has is the same version you are trying to flash. Are u using ACDelco app(J2534) or tech2Win, or etc? You can force flashing but a warning will appear saying ACDelco doesn't recommend reflashing a module with the same number or something like that. Anyways, as far as antitheft, if you are using the ACDelco app, then antitheft should be listed. That's if the car shows up in the program. You can also try the 30 minute cycle and see if that works. Just a thought. Good luck!

Comment

• Glide
              • Jan 2015

Originally posted by ToltecasChavez
              A couple of things, if ur installing a used PCM, the "Already Programmed" Means the version the used PCM has is the same version you are trying to flash. Are u using ACDelco app(J2534) or tech2Win, or etc? You can force flashing but a warning will appear saying ACDelco doesn't recommend reflashing a module with the same number or something like that. Anyways, as far as antitheft, if you are using the ACDelco app, then antitheft should be listed. That's if the car shows up in the program. You can also try the 30 minute cycle and see if that works. Just a thought. Good luck!
              Thanks for your reply.These cars program differently,not like a GM product(they are Opel).Read the TSB that I mentioned in my first post.
              The new ECM will be here Monday.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                • Apr 2011

I see, it's a completely different set up. At least it uses the tech2 and it has instructions. Let us know how it goes. Just in case, where did you get the security code? Dealer? Thanks

Comment

• bestdamgarage
                  • Apr 2016

Originally posted by ToltecasChavez
                  I see, it's a completely different set up. At least it uses the tech2 and it has instructions. Let us know how it goes. Just in case, where did you get the security code? Dealer? Thanks
                  didnt look up tsb but have had older gms that would not program with a j-box its to fast they say usually early 2000 s though

Comment

• Tech10
                    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Glide
                    Has anyone been successful in reprogramming a used ECM for a Saturn Astra?
                    I followed TSB# 16-NA-165.
                    With "security access' and the security pin,I get "the module is already programmed" and the car will not start and immobilizer light stays flashing.
                    ACdelco of course does not support using used modules...
                    To program a used ECM to another vehicle, the ECM will need to be reset before it is removed from the vehicle. You will need the pin code of the vehicle in order to reset the ECM. Once the ECM is reset all that is needed to be programmed to another vehicle is the pin code of the vehicle, a working key and a Tech2 with the proper Saturn Astra software. Generally a used ECM will be removed from the vehicle without being reset first making it almost impossible to to be used again but it can be done. You will need more than a Tech2 with the proper software to do it.

Comment

• tech25
                      • Oct 2017

very interesting...why does it have to be on the original vehicle?? is it because of the VIN, or immobilizer issues??

if so. could one just get the body computer/immobilizer from the donor vehicle. plug it in the car to be swapped with and "reset" it?

Comment

• Glide
                        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Tech10
                        To program a used ECM to another vehicle, the ECM will need to be reset before it is removed from the vehicle. You will need the pin code of the vehicle in order to reset the ECM. Once the ECM is reset all that is needed to be programmed to another vehicle is the pin code of the vehicle, a working key and a Tech2 with the proper Saturn Astra software. Generally a used ECM will be removed from the vehicle without being reset first making it almost impossible to to be used again but it can be done. You will need more than a Tech2 with the proper software to do it.
                        That is exactly what I have learned.The pin is in the ECM and the CIM(steering column module).If both were changed from the same vehicle and the security pin for that vehicle was used it should work.
                        I replaced the ECM with a new one,flashed it,programmed it,and I was done,just that easy.I had spent too much time figuring out how this system worked and couldn't justify spending any more of the customers money.
                        "Security Access" is found under the Security tab on the SPS home page and the security client must be downloaded to a Tech 2 before the pin will work.To get the security pin you have to have a locksmith licence or a friend at a dealership.The pin and security access are required to reset(divorce) ECM or CIM as well as to program them.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                          • Apr 2011

Thank you for all that information Glide!

Comment

• Witsend
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2012

That is exactly what I have learned.The pin is in the ECM and the CIM(steering column module).If both were changed from the same vehicle and the security pin for that vehicle was used it should work.
                            I replaced the ECM with a new one,flashed it,programmed it,and I was done,just that easy.I had spent too much time figuring out how this system worked and couldn't justify spending any more of the customers money.
                            "Security Access" is found under the Security tab on the SPS home page and the security client must be downloaded to a Tech 2 before the pin will work.To get the security pin you have to have a locksmith licence or a friend at a dealership.The pin and security access are required to reset(divorce) ECM or CIM as well as to program them.
                            So even though a 2008 Saturn Astra is not actually some early 2000 GM product, but basically a re-badged German car, a J-box would still be too fast to be able to do the programming on it and you would still require an actual old Tech 2 to be able to do it? I find that hard to believe.

Comment

• Steve6911
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by bestdamgarage
                              didnt look up tsb but have had older gms that would not program with a j-box its to fast they say usually early 2000 s though

Had that on an early Corvette I had to put a PCM in, Had to isolate the PCM from the rest of the network as per the service procedure but it still would fail on programming. I talked to my mobile guy and he told me to put the Pass-thru-pro into debugging mode, PCM programmed without issue after that. He told me the same, the Jbox was too fast. I now do that on all my early GM programming and have had no problem.

Comment

Working...