X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • user00293
    • Dec 2014

Solus Pro EESC316 2016 Updated

Hello,

I'm looking at what appears to be a good deal on a used Solus Pro EESC316 2016 Updated kit that come with 15+ keys, a couple of TOY adapters, other cables, charging station, a few other items with the original paperwork and case.

However I'm wondering since I have a Blue-Point Microscan III with OBD1 adapter kit and cable If there is any point upgrading to a Solus Pro EESC316? (I currently only have three vehicles, two OBD1 and one OBD2)

Once in a while help other people diagnose their vehicles but don't regularly require a scanner.

I also have a Snap-On MT-2500 with 10 cartridges and a couple of obd1 adapters for Ford and Chrysler.

Microscan OBD1 grey adapters (kit) isn't compatible with snap-ons black and red obd1 adapters.

What different points are there in upgrading to a EESC316? I've never used or familiar with other Snap-On scanners besides the MT-2500. The Microscan is fairly basic scanner that can be used with both OBD2 and obd1 vehicles.
    Last edited by user00293; 07-22-2018, 04:32 PM.
  • SnapOnKid
    • Jan 2011

That unit has been discontinued and is no longer updateable.
    Not sure what your idea of a good deal is.

It's similar in function to a red brick but with the ability to do newer cars.

The microscan 3 is a code reader with the ability to show some live data.

I does not have any Bi directional controls or the ability to graph like scan tools can.

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

2016 update is about all that scanner ever got before support for it it was discontinued. Just make sure the Solus Pro is in perfect working condition, because it is no longer is supported with repairs or parts, and not sure if anyone in the USA is even left that rebuilds the batteries If something happens to the software, and it can't be recovered , it will just become a wheel chock, because you can't use the software from another parted out unit like you often can with MT2500s (as long as the MT2500 Prom cards were updated to handle the impending Y2K computer chip meltdown and the coming Black Ops cartridges )

Comment

• Crusty
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Witsend
        2016 update is about all that scanner ever got before support for it it was discontinued. Just make sure the Solus Pro is in perfect working condition, because it is no longer is supported with repairs or parts, and not sure if anyone in the USA is even left that rebuilds the batteries If something happens to the software, and it can't be recovered , it will just become a wheel chock, because you can't use the software from another parted out unit like you often can with MT2500s (as long as the MT2500 Prom cards were updated to handle the impending Y2K computer chip meltdown and the coming Black Ops cartridges )
        The Solus-PRO has a selection to "BACK UP TO CF CARD" in the machine itself.
        A very wise provision that SHOULD be standard with ANY software driven device, but alas, it isn't often available (even though it SHOULD BE-!!!)

Comment

• user00293
          • Dec 2014

It doesn't sound too promising. The seller asking $345.00 or best offer.

I think I'll just stay with the Microscan III as I recently found a OBD1 adapter kit and cable for it.

Most OBD2 scanners with live readout really don't do much more than a cell phone running an OBD2 app such as e.g. OBD Fusion. The Elm327 wifi modual cost was $5.00 and the Android app $2.99. (Actually has better visuals with graphs, diagnostics and other functions than most OBD2 scanners.)

Can be used with any android device.

-----------------------------------

Blue-Point for what ever reason engineered the Microscan OBD1 grey adapters to only work with Microscan scanners. Snap-On red and black obd1 adapters aren't compatible with Microscan scanners. Appearance is the same but Blue-Point / Snap-On must have slightly changed the wiring inside the grey obd1 adapters.

Microscan Pro has an OBD1 kit that uses a standard 15-pin d-sub to 15-pin d-sub cable appears to be the same as used with many Snap-On scanners including the MT-2500. Microscan III's OBD1 cable uses a smaller D-sub connector to a standard 15-pin d-sub connector.

Microscan III OBD connector

Anyway I found a Microscan Pro OBD1 kit on eBay that should work with my Microscan III as I purchased from Snap-On their Microscan III OBD1 cable.

I think the Microscan III is mainly in competition with consumer OBD1/OBD2 scanners with live readout such as ones produced by Innova, etc.

Theres two Microscan scanners, a Microscan Pro (EESP717) and a Microscan III (EESP720) . Other than their obd connector and battery option, I'm not certain of their differences. Both are suppose to have support for OBD1 vehicles.

The EESP717 has a battery compartment whereas they didn't include a battery with the EESP720 which requires OBD or USB connection for power.

Comment

Working...